• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Enigma

How much running do you do at OCS? I watched a video on YouTube that said it's 3 miles.

In the beginning of OCS, do they start off with 3 miles? Or do they start off with less miles and then build up? What is the most distance I should expect to run straight?

Mouselovr

Contributor
How much running do you do at OCS? I watched a video on YouTube that said it's 3 miles.

In the beginning of OCS, do they start off with 3 miles? Or do they start off with less miles and then build up? What is the most distance I should expect to run straight?
Depends on the time of year you attend.
I went in the winter time and outside of PRTs, we ran once.

villo0692

I went there a bit before my fellow rodent lover friend here. We did have a good and fair amount of running at least twice a week, we had three milers…there’s a slow group that runs only a mile and a half tho, my two cents… start some consistent running before getting to Newport, that way at least you’re conditioned enough to not get shin splints

Santorini1991

What happens after OCS in terms of orders - when do candidates find out where they need to go and where to report? Do they get any liberty or time to move/find accommodation/sort out a car if they don’t have one, etc?

Orders should come in your last 3 weeks or so. If you are not fully medically cleared by graduation you may be put in student pool and have to wait there longer. It’s not uncommon for a couple aviators and sub guys to be left in student pool, but most get out in time.

Generally you should know where you are going next before orders come out. SWO candidates will do their ship selections in SOC phase about 5-6 weeks before graduating and most other designators have their own follow on schools that everyone goes to.

The only real questions for most will be if they are getting OHARP, if they are being stashed somewhere while they wait for their school to start, and when they have to report to their school.

Enigma

I went there a bit before my fellow rodent lover friend here. We did have a good and fair amount of running at least twice a week, we had three milers…there’s a slow group that runs only a mile and a half tho, my two cents… start some consistent running before getting to Newport, that way at least you’re conditioned enough to not get shin splints
What was the pace you ran at for the 3 miles? And did the slow group just run for the same amount of time, but less distance?

villo0692

What was the pace you ran at for the 3 miles? And did the slow group just run for the same amount of time, but less distance?
So the way it worked was that we ran a mile and a half led by our gunnery sergeant and the second mile and a half at our pace. As a group we held a pace of roughly 6:50ish for the fast group. But then again it’s different depending on who’s leading the fast group that day. The slower ppl I think only ran a mile and a half

Enigma

Can I bring books to OCS? I want to bring a book that has mobility exercises and stretches to help prevent injury and improve running. I've been told that we have a processing week where we exercise at our own pace. I haven't memorized all the exercises in the book and am wondering if I can bring the book as a reference.

villo0692

Can I bring books to OCS? I want to bring a book that has mobility exercises and stretches to help prevent injury and improve running. I've been told that we have a processing week where we exercise at our own pace. I haven't memorized all the exercises in the book and am wondering if I can bring the book as a reference.
You’d have to keep it in your drawer locked, and it’ll take some space away. But I guess if you can handle that it should be fine. However, your class team will inspect everything you bring and could potentially not let you keep it and have it stowed away with your phone, civilian clothes and what not. Some ppl in my class had books with them so I would think you should be okay, just don’t bring the entire Twilight Saga with you

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I like to read, and I kept up on my reading all the way through OCS - including indoc. I just kept the books locked away such that they weren't subject to inspection.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
How’s the awards at graduation decided? Isn’t there a Marine physical fitness award, as well as another physical fitness award?
The way they're decided is that nobody, and I mean nobody, remembers what awards they got at OCS. They will not be documented meaningfully - it will not boost your career. You'll get a NAM if you save somebody from choking to death in the galley, or spend 2 calendar years in student pool because somebody else couldn't do their jobs correctly.

causekim

Good evening everyone!
I am AD3, would love to go to be an intelligence officer through OCS. For SF-86 form, I am not sure if they expect me to have the actual top secret clearance which might take years to get or am i just supposed to finish filling out the form, submitted and get investigation going on while i am in OCS? I am trying to apply for this upcoming board (feb), knowing whether I need top secret clearance before ocs or not is really important for me to decide if I should finish OCS package right now with interviews, recommendations, etc.. Thank you!