• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

PEFO Silver-Shades

It was rare yeah. The ophthalmologist said he'd never seen anything quite like it. Yay me. A couple others were DQ'd for their eyes but they already knew their vision was borderline 20/40 or something along those lines, and they were automatically sent for an NFO board (assuming they still met the medical criteria for NFO) and were then re-designated to NFO. I had no idea going in, I never needed an eye exam until the flight physical at OCS.
one last question, was the Sloan Eye test done at a 20 foot distance or was it like MEPS, where you rest or forehead on one of those machines?

Meyerkord

pilot
one last question, was the Sloan Eye test done at a 20 foot distance or was it like MEPS, where you rest or forehead on one of those machines?
Can’t remember which was specifically at OCS, but I know I’ve done both up to this point. Pretty much any eye test that exists, you’ll do at some point.

slick99

It was rare yeah. The ophthalmologist said he'd never seen anything quite like it. Yay me. A couple others were DQ'd for their eyes but they already knew their vision was borderline 20/40 or something along those lines, and they were automatically sent for an NFO board (assuming they still met the medical criteria for NFO) and were then re-designated to NFO. I had no idea going in, I never needed an eye exam until the flight physical at OCS.
What do you mean by sent to an NFO board? do you have to wait for another board to meet while you are at OCS? I was accepted for SNA but my vision is definitely towing the 20/40 line so it has me a bit worried haha

Ghost SWO

Contributor
What do you mean by sent to an NFO board? do you have to wait for another board to meet while you are at OCS? I was accepted for SNA but my vision is definitely towing the 20/40 line so it has me a bit worried haha
Yes, you need to be accepted into the designator, but not through the boards like the OR sends you to. Usually if you're SNA there's no issue going to NFO and getting redesignated. This is done behind the scenes automatically if you're NPQ from SNA unless you're NPQ from both like I was. If you're officially NPQ early into OCS you'll probably be get a new designator before you graduate, or that's how it should work.

GodSpeed1997

You gotta swim at OCS, so keep that in mind. If you get one before, just make sure it’s in regs and ideally fully healed. Otherwise just wait until after.
Yeah it would be healed by then. I just thought you weren’t supposed to get any new tattoos after meps and before OCS but I don’t know how serious they take that.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Yeah it would be healed by then. I just thought you weren’t supposed to get any new tattoos after meps and before OCS but I don’t know how serious they take that.

I don't know if NORs still make people do this, but both times I went from board to OCS I had to sign something promising not to get any new tattoos. If you've signed something like that, I wouldn't. Otherwise go nuts. The medical people at Newport are obscenely meticulous, they'd catch it.

CarnesCJ

Stupid question, in boot camp they ask everyone the first couple weeks if anyone wanted to screen for NSW/NSO rates, those people would complete a PFT to see if they qualify. Is this a thing they do in OCS?

GodSpeed1997

I don't know if NORs still make people do this, but both times I went from board to OCS I had to sign something promising not to get any new tattoos. If you've signed something like that, I wouldn't. Otherwise go nuts. The medical people at Newport are obscenely meticulous, they'd catch it.
Yeah I signed that paper that’s why I was wondering if I’d get in trouble or if they didn’t really care or if it mattered. Guess I can just wait till after OCS to get it.

EFCepeda

I’m getting ahead of myself, as I haven’t been seen by a board yet, but are you allowed to bring uniforms with you and forgo purchasing from the NEX?
My current OIC is the same size as me, and is separating around the time I would leave and he offered me some of his uniforms; so if you can, that would save me a couple (thousand) bucks.
They made priors in my class buy an extra set or get their pins embroidered but they were also allowed to use their own.

EFCepeda

Did you guys see anyone get DQ'd there from a surgery or anything like that? I've already passed and been approved medically for OCS, but hearing people are getting DQ'd when they get there has me a little shook.
Not sure. Medical and student pool is a mess at OCS. I couldn’t say. Probably depends on the surgery and the flight doctor that’s there.

Is it typically normal to be waiting over two months for an OCS date? I was prorec-y back in mid August. I know things can take sometime but is this normal?