• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Mouselovr

Contributor
When going through OCS on an SNA route….are you ranked by your performance throughout OCS assessments in order to decide who goes to flight school first if there is limited spaces or is OCS more a pass/fail thing for naval aviation? Just wondering if there is some selection process, once commissioned, to decide who goes to flight school first or if it is just done by cohorts? Hope that makes sense!
OCS is 100% pass/fail for everyone that isn't a SWO.
Flight school "order" is based on who checks in first.

They add you to a big excel sheet and when its your turn, they put you on a roster. Nothing formal or fancy.
I showed up and checked in a day before most of my OCS classmates, so I started in the class before most of them. Classes are pretty much every week.

Smpl_dude's wife here!
Does anyone know if candio boxes are still a thing and what's permitted? I've seen conflicting info -- e.g. "games are the best thing ever" but then on another source "games are strictly prohibited." Same with food.

Also have a lot of very eager people wanting to send boxes. Is there a limit on the #? Don't want to cause problems and may need to temper some people's expectations..

Unless something changed this year that I missed, they're still permitted. I don't know if anyone received games in their boxes, but pretty much everyone who got one received candy and other snacks. A lot of people got way more junk food than they could possibly eat and just wound up trying to give a lot of it away if they could. What exactly is prohibited could also depend on the class team though so that might be why you've seen conflicting information. They will inspect the boxes to ensure there is no contraband before letting the candidate take them.

I don't recall there being a limit, but do keep in mind they will have to store their boxes in their locker, which will be larger than what they had in the previous phases but still somewhat limited in space. Unless they are all smaller boxes (like shoe box size), anything more than 3 is probably getting a bit excessive, but it's not going to cause any serious issues for them other than having to give stuff away or potentially throw things out.

Is there one of those calf stretching boards in the closet with the foam rollers/can I bring my own? Are theraguns authorized? The packing list just says recovery equipment which is pretty broad.

Santorini1991

OCS is 100% pass/fail for everyone that isn't a SWO.
Flight school "order" is based on who checks in first.

They add you to a big excel sheet and when its your turn, they put you on a roster. Nothing formal or fancy.
I showed up and checked in a day before most of my OCS classmates, so I started in the class before most of them. Classes are pretty much every week.
Brilliant thanks. I assume you mean checked in down in Pensacola? I assume they give you a specific date to report there?
did you get time to move yourself down and get set up with a place to live, etc before having to report?

Santorini1991

Unless something changed this year that I missed, they're still permitted. I don't know if anyone received games in their boxes, but pretty much everyone who got one received candy and other snacks. A lot of people got way more junk food than they could possibly eat and just wound up trying to give a lot of it away if they could. What exactly is prohibited could also depend on the class team though so that might be why you've seen conflicting information. They will inspect the boxes to ensure there is no contraband before letting the candidate take them.

I don't recall there being a limit, but do keep in mind they will have to store their boxes in their locker, which will be larger than what they had in the previous phases but still somewhat limited in space. Unless they are all smaller boxes (like shoe box size), anything more than 3 is probably getting a bit excessive, but it's not going to cause any serious issues for them other than having to give stuff away or potentially throw things out.
If what you can send in CandiO boxes changes now and then, how do people actually find out what is allowed for their own sailor’s OCS class? Will the sailors be told And then have to tell us or will we receive information somehow?

Santorini1991

When I was there, a year ago, there is opportunity to head back home but obviously on your own dime. I think they give you a window of dates on when you can leave. Your class team will give you the rundown on what you can and cannot do. Of course, don't do anything idiotic on leave that'll have you either kicked out or sea walled.
Did you have to use your leave built up during OCS to go home for that week?

For payroll tax purposes, are we taxed in Rhode Island or our home state, if at all? It's to have an idea of what to expect in terms of payroll deductions.

smpl_dude

If what you can send in CandiO boxes changes now and then, how do people actually find out what is allowed for their own sailor’s OCS class? Will the sailors be told And then have to tell us or will we receive information somehow?
Yeah ha that's my exact question! It's taking almost 2 weeks for snail mail to make it from me to Newport so trying to get answers semi-ahead of time.

They will be able to ask their class team for clarification if need be and will be able to call home after the third week.

When I was there last year, getting candy and snacks was pretty much the norm and I don't know of any classes that were banned from having it.

For payroll tax purposes, are we taxed in Rhode Island or our home state, if at all? It's to have an idea of what to expect in terms of payroll deductions.

You will be taxed in your home of record state (where you entered the military from). If for some reason your home of record does not match your actual state of legal residence, you can bring this up when you're being in-processed and filling out all that paperwork. In the military, you will generally pay your state taxes based on your state of legal residence as opposed to simply wherever you are stationed/deployed.

Santorini1991

They will be able to ask their class team for clarification if need be and will be able to call home after the third week.

When I was there last year, getting candy and snacks was pretty much the norm and I don't know of any classes that were banned from having it.

You will be taxed in your home of record state (where you entered the military from). If for some reason your home of record does not match your actual state of legal residence, you can bring this up when you're being in-processed and filling out all that paperwork. In the military, you will generally pay your state taxes based on your state of legal residence as opposed to simply wherever you are stationed/deployed.
Do you know how it works if moving from overseas and you don’t have legal residence in any given state?

kukuinut

Did you have to use your leave built up during OCS to go home for that week?
I was on the collegiate program with the CEC so I had a ton of leave saved up, but my class graduated before the holidays, so it worked out. I'm sure if you decide to take leave without any saved up, they'll give you the admin details on that. For Thanksgiving, you can be "adopted" by surrounding families and celebrate with them or stay on base. The galley has some pretty good food that day in comparison to regular days.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Not technically wrong, but not what people usually end up doing, at least on the aviation side. Since all SNA/SNFOs make their way to FL for training, you're a fool not to register as a FL resident when you get there. Yes, many states will waive your state income taxes when stationed out of state, but why bother having to do the paperwork for that? It's much easier to just become a FL resident and then hold onto that residency for the duration of your active duty time. Why? No state income tax and not requirement to file for it. Dealing with FL for driver's license and registration is also very easy if out of state as a service member.

Obviously there's two other good options to become a resident: TN or TX, but that assumes you get stationed there at some point.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
For Thanksgiving, you can be "adopted" by surrounding families and celebrate with them or stay on base. The galley has some pretty good food that day in comparison to regular days.
I tried to get “adopted” by some Italian girls in Providence, but no such luck :(