• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

While we’re on the topic of chow, when getting served, do you walk away with whatever they give you or can you request “a bit more”? The question is really more along the lines of how do I know that the portion will carry me through to the next meal?

Second question: currently doing PRT exercises and only pushups are where I’m still struggling. Let’s assume I come out with the passing minimum on all 3 exercises; can I expect to improve all scores from the PT we’ll be doing? I’m obviously aiming to give myself a threshold (trying to finish all with GL scores) but I’m wondering if I could end up getting GH or even EL scores as the weeks go on.

Whiskeyrice

While we’re on the topic of chow, when getting served, do you walk away with whatever they give you or can you request “a bit more”? The question is really more along the lines of how do I know that the portion will carry me through to the next meal?

Second question: currently doing PRT exercises and only pushups are where I’m still struggling. Let’s assume I come out with the passing minimum on all 3 exercises; can I expect to improve all scores from the PT we’ll be doing? I’m obviously aiming to give myself a threshold (trying to finish all with GL scores) but I’m wondering if I could end up getting GH or even EL scores as the weeks go on.
The line servers are unlikely to give extras. There will be enough sides and such to fill up most people though.

Will your PT improve there? One way or another yes. The most common rolls are from push up related issues, whether that be form during the IST or not being able to put out on First Friday or RLP. If you're one of those, RHC will tune you up for 3 weeks.

They will only give you one serving of the main course unless you are SPECWAR. You can fill up your plate with sides though and get soup as well. There will also be a salad bar, bread, fruit, and yogurt to choose from. You should be able to get enough to last you between meals, even with a pretty long gap between dinner and breakfast. Your bigger issue might be getting it all down in 12 minutes the first three weeks, after that you get 15 minutes.

Most people see improvements in their scores just from being at OCS and taking part in PT. I came in doing around 55-60 pushups and did 76 on the PRT in SOC phase without any extra self PT. If you put in the effort you will get good results.

Is there a final "test" at OCS like Battle stations?

Yes, Battle Stations. From what I've heard from priors it's different from what they do at Great Lakes though. It's basically an all-day PT event designed to force you to work as a team and push yourself to your limit. It sounds tough (and is), but as long as you don't quit or get injured pretty much everyone makes it through.

Navigation is the last test on the academic side. It can be challenging to get your head around MOBOARDS and charting in the limited amount of time you have to learn, but once you get those steps down pat it's actually quite easy. Just make sure to carefully read every question and pay attention to detail.

klk1234

Does anybody might any chance have a waiver example to apply when you will finish your bachelors after the due date. Thank you

Daxay

SNA select here, shipping for OCS early October. I’ll be at OCS over Christmas/New Years. I’ve heard that you’re allowed a week of leave around that time, is that true? If so, are you able to select the dates of leave? Are there any travel radius restrictions? I ask because I’m supposed to be in a good friend’s wedding on December 30th in Savannah, GA. I’d really like to make that work if I’m able to and not have to bail on him. If not, it sucks, but Navy takes priority haha. Thanks!

kukuinut

SNA select here, shipping for OCS early October. I’ll be at OCS over Christmas/New Years. I’ve heard that you’re allowed a week of leave around that time, is that true? If so, are you able to select the dates of leave? Are there any travel radius restrictions? I ask because I’m supposed to be in a good friend’s wedding on December 30th in Savannah, GA. I’d really like to make that work if I’m able to and not have to bail on him. If not, it sucks, but Navy takes priority haha. Thanks!
When I was there, a year ago, there is opportunity to head back home but obviously on your own dime. I think they give you a window of dates on when you can leave. Your class team will give you the rundown on what you can and cannot do. Of course, don't do anything idiotic on leave that'll have you either kicked out or sea walled.

People have recommended the FoxRiver socks for bootwear. How many pairs should I buy? They're kind of pricey so I don't necessarily want to spend a boatload, but I also don't want to be shorthanded. IIRC, there will be a rotation of boot and athletic wear where each footwear is worn just 3x a week so is 3 pairs reasonable?

villo0692

I got like 6 pairs, sometimes you might not be able to do laundry the day you’re planning to, so in my eyes the more the better. You only wear NWUs for the first 6 weeks, but if weather gets bad while you’re in the khakis wearing stage, you will switch back to cammies. Besides is always good to have a couple pairs that are just inspection ready always, in case you get a random room inspection

smpl_dude

Smpl_dude's wife here!
Does anyone know if candio boxes are still a thing and what's permitted? I've seen conflicting info -- e.g. "games are the best thing ever" but then on another source "games are strictly prohibited." Same with food.

Also have a lot of very eager people wanting to send boxes. Is there a limit on the #? Don't want to cause problems and may need to temper some people's expectations..

Santorini1991

When going through OCS on an SNA route….are you ranked by your performance throughout OCS assessments in order to decide who goes to flight school first if there is limited spaces or is OCS more a pass/fail thing for naval aviation? Just wondering if there is some selection process, once commissioned, to decide who goes to flight school first or if it is just done by cohorts? Hope that makes sense!