• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Steve Finch

Does anyone have an updated Fleet OCS point of contact at Millington? It used to be Ted Williams, but I'm not sure if he's still there.

Thanks!

-Steve

emcee1

Well, wear your own tennis shoes until you're issued a pair of New Balances. Should be on the first day, but you should arrive in tennis shoes because you'll be moving place to place a lot. It's also a good idea to bring your own because they often run out of issued tennis shoes and will need to order you a pair which you'll get later. While you're waiting for your pair, you'll wear those you brought. And, of course, the ones you brought can be worn in candio while conducting individual PT after week 9. Make sense?
I reported March of this year and they're not even bothering with the issued sneakers anymore. They have the physical therapist look at your shoes that your brought and they say yay or nay. Basically, as long as you don't try to pass off a pair of Vans or flip flops, they will be approved for PT. Just make sure they're something you can be comfortable in for 12 hours a day.

Ricky_piano

Hi, I got selected for SNA. I've heard everyone recommend the FoxRiver wick dry socks for OCS, I was just wondering what color to buy them. Black or sand? Thanks!

Doc Engel

Good evening everyone, just reaching out to see if there are any priors who have recently went through OCS. I'm scheduled to attend OCS in January 2021 as an SNA. My question is in regards to BAH. The admin personnel at my command aren't really sure what to tell me but I'm wondering if anyone knows whether BAH continues when we go to OCS? I had a buddy go through OCS back in 2014 as a single E-6 and he said he still received it while he was there. Not sure if the process has changed since then. Just wondering since I'm currently living in an apartment off base and I'm curious if the BAH generally continues or if it is standard for the BAH to stop and have to place your things in storage? Any information is appreciated.

flgator92

None
Good evening everyone, just reaching out to see if there are any priors who have recently went through OCS. I'm scheduled to attend OCS in January 2021 as an SNA. My question is in regards to BAH. The admin personnel at my command aren't really sure what to tell me but I'm wondering if anyone knows whether BAH continues when we go to OCS? I had a buddy go through OCS back in 2014 as a single E-6 and he said he still received it while he was there. Not sure if the process has changed since then. Just wondering since I'm currently living in an apartment off base and I'm curious if the BAH generally continues or if it is standard for the BAH to stop and have to place your things in storage? Any information is appreciated.
All the priors at OCS that I knew had dependents and received their full BAH. Can't speak to prior enlisted without dependents. All those who weren't prior service didn't receive BAH as we were living in government quarters until we reached our next permanent duty station following commissioning. Those who were not prior service and had dependents received full BAH as well during their time attached to OTCN. Worst case scenario, though, is you lose your BAH for three months -- not the end of the world -- because O-side pay is better than E pay once you commission. If anyone else is more familiar with your particular case, they'd probably be able to answer your question better.

flgator92

None
Hi, I got selected for SNA. I've heard everyone recommend the FoxRiver wick dry socks for OCS, I was just wondering what color to buy them. Black or sand? Thanks!
Ideally black socks would be the best. But, I don't think anyone would care to notice as your boots are bloused and your socks aren't visible - the one exception being during inspections, and even then I can't recall anyone checking my sock color, but YMMV. I just used the GSA government-issued black socks. You'll have time to break your boots in, and most importantly, if your boots fit well, sock type wasn't a huge issue. Either way, you'll probably get some blisters. Get some moleskin and pre-apply it to common blister areas (side of foot, heel, etc.). You should be fine. Don't sweat the little stuff; keep in shape, study Appendix B ahead of time and crush on knowledge, and you'll be fine come OCS time.

Doc Engel

All the priors at OCS that I knew had dependents and received their full BAH. Can't speak to prior enlisted without dependents. All those who weren't prior service didn't receive BAH as we were living in government quarters until we reached our next permanent duty station following commissioning. Those who were not prior service and had dependents received full BAH as well during their time attached to OTCN. Worst case scenario, though, is you lose your BAH for three months -- not the end of the world -- because O-side pay is better than E pay once you commission. If anyone else is more familiar with your particular case, they'd probably be able to answer your question better.
Thank you for the response, that definitely sheds some light for me.

Jbyrne89

Very stupid question here - is there a dental exam when you report to OCS? I have a permanent retainer and it never came up at MEPs (I believe the questions on the MEPs forms ask if you currently have braces or if you have gum issues). If it will be a problem when I report I was going to have it removed but figured I'd ask to see if anyone has had a similar experience?

flgator92

None
Very stupid question here - is there a dental exam when you report to OCS? I have a permanent retainer and it never came up at MEPs (I believe the questions on the MEPs forms ask if you currently have braces or if you have gum issues). If it will be a problem when I report I was going to have it removed but figured I'd ask to see if anyone has had a similar experience?
Yes, you'll do a full dental exam at OCS during your first week or two aboard OTCN.

Ricky_piano

Ideally black socks would be the best. But, I don't think anyone would care to notice as your boots are bloused and your socks aren't visible - the one exception being during inspections, and even then I can't recall anyone checking my sock color, but YMMV. I just used the GSA government-issued black socks. You'll have time to break your boots in, and most importantly, if your boots fit well, sock type wasn't a huge issue. Either way, you'll probably get some blisters. Get some moleskin and pre-apply it to common blister areas (side of foot, heel, etc.). You should be fine. Don't sweat the little stuff; keep in shape, study Appendix B ahead of time and crush on knowledge, and you'll be fine come OCS time.
Thanks very much. I was a bit confused because of the aviators using brown shoes and SWO using black shoes. And the whole type 2 vs type 3. But I guess if it doesn't show it really doesn't matter. Thanks again!

Riem2080

Could anyone point me in the direction of the FY20 or FY21 OCS class schedules? I've searched and can't seem to find them. Thanks!