• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

CEC-MS

Question regarding of being a homeowner. Is there anyone dealing with the same situation? Have a house and going to ocs. I understand that the orders can be either Pensacola or Corpus Christi for the aviation folks. Does Navy offer any assistance to help sell the house?

Thanks

My wife and I are debating this same thing. I was considering renting it and going through a property management company. It seems like they charge around 10% of the rent, and they deal with doing walk through inspections, collecting rent, dealing with communicating with tenants, arranging maintenance (but sending you the bill, of course). I'm pretty sure we won't be in the market to purchase a home for at least a few years, so keeping the house as a rental may be a good way to maintain that equity, and hopefully the housing prices go up in the coming years (and outweigh any wear/tear on the home from renters).

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Multiple choice, fill in the blank maybe at most.

Except for seamanship (NOS) which you have to do moboards. NOS sucks.
Nav too. It's still multiple choice, but you have to plot out the routes to get the answers. Good ol' Nav and NOS.

B619

After OCS are we allowed to explore the city with family that flew in for a few days? And are we allowed to have a few days off after OCS to go back home to visit family?

speedroller

Rangers
After OCS are we allowed to explore the city with family that flew in for a few days? And are we allowed to have a few days off after OCS to go back home to visit family?

I heard the number 4 for days between OCS and the next location. At least for aviation oriented candidates.

LET73

Someone more knowledgeable should verify this, but I don't think you get moving expenses covered until after you commission. Additionally, I've been told that we get a weight allowance for moves that depends on rank; as an O-1, I'm not sure they would move my entire house full of furniture...
OCS isn't a PCS move (i.e., it's not a duty station where the Navy pays for you to move there from wherever you are now). If your follow-on orders are PCS orders, then you can move on the Navy's dime. It is based on paygrade and (I think) whether you've got dependents.

That depends on your follow-on orders, but you'll almost certainly be able to take a bit of leave to spend time with your family. Unless your orders state that you must report, say, the Monday following commissioning, you'll have time between OCS and wherever you're going next, whether it's getting stashed or going to the schoolhouse. Just be careful not to burn more leave than you've earned. Not an issue for priors, but I may have shown up at NMITC with a negative leave balance of a couple days. Don't be me. You'll make it up, but don't burn the leave.

@LFCFan, weirdly enough, I loved moboards. I couldn't do one now if you held a gun to my head, though.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
OCS isn't a PCS move (i.e., it's not a duty station where the Navy pays for you to move there from wherever you are now). If your follow-on orders are PCS orders, then you can move on the Navy's dime. It is based on paygrade and (I think) whether you've got dependents.
I'm not quite understanding (probably because I'm a noob non-prior). As an IW, my "follow-on orders" would be to go to IWBC, correct? Is there a way to know if that is considered to be "a PCS move"?

LET73

I'm not quite understanding (probably because I'm a noob non-prior). As an IW, my "follow-on orders" would be to go to IWBC, correct? Is there a way to know if that is considered to be "a PCS move"?
It's based on how long the orders are for. If I were a decent Information Dominator I might know about the other IDC schools after OCS, but I can only speak to the intel side. I don't know if people are posting in the IW thread, or if there are other IW types here who can tell you. If you've got a good recruiter that's another potential source of info.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
It's based on how long the orders are for. If I were a decent Information Dominator I might know about the other IDC schools after OCS, but I can only speak to the intel side. I don't know if people are posting in the IW thread, or if there are other IW types here who can tell you. If you've got a good recruiter that's another potential source of info.
I have asked my OR, haven't heard back yet. We're still waiting for my FINSEL, but once that comes in I'll ask him again. I do know that IWBC is 12 weeks in Pensacola.

LET73

Have you tried the IW forum? Twelve weeks sounds like it's too short for PCS orders, but there might be some actual cryppies who can answer better than I can.

WEGL12

VT-28
It's a good thing this is titled stupid questions. . . Is one allowed to shower once in the morning and once in the evening? And how does one go poop at OCS? Is it peaceful?

I normally was able to shower once in the morning and evening. It's easier to do now since each room has a shower. Showering at night normally occurred shortly after taps.

You get plenty of head calls through out the day. But most people's bodies are so jacked up from the chow hall meals that it may be several days between shits. Would never say OCS is peaceful but after 1700 you are normally not disturbed in your rooms by any of the staff. During working hours anything is fair game.

Last edited:

WEGL12

VT-28

We got 4 days of travel but were able to take up to 2 weeks of enroute leave. I know several people that went in the hole by taking the extra time to get down here. As far as I know it was a non issue when checking in. This was back in September so they may be more strict now. You can always call flight management and ask if it is a problem.

One piece of advise. If you are checking in at the end of summer to early fall, those two weeks of leave can really change how long you wait in A pool. From my OCS class those that checked in right away classed up 3 months before I did. Later found out it was because during the two weeks I took of leave something like 130 academy and NROTC people checked in. Not a big deal and it changes so it may have been an unique situation.

B619

@LET73 @WEGL12 Thank you sir. I was also told by my recruiter I can request a TAD? That way I can get stationed here temporarily and have more time with family.

Since we are on the topic on peeing and pooing... I notice that they hydrate us a lot with water and also I am one to frequently use the restroom when I drink a lot of water. What happens if I am on PT or on these working hours and I need to go?

WEGL12

VT-28
@LET73 @WEGL12 Thank you sir. I was also told by my recruiter I can request a TAD? That way I can get stationed here temporarily and have more time with family.

Since we are on the topic on peeing and pooing... I notice that they hydrate us a lot with water and also I am one to frequently use the restroom when I drink a lot of water. What happens if I am on PT or on these working hours and I need to go?

If you are taking about TAD to your home town office, that's called OHARP. I know some classes had that option and others didn't. We didn't have that option when I went through.

Never saw anyone that made a head call during PT but for the most part the staff knows you are very hydrated. We were always told we would never be denied a head call. Once you start academics, you can use the head as often as you need too. When I made the statement about after working hours, I was just referring to OCS being somewhat peaceful/less stressful.