• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
They are issued. I don't believe you get to use your old ones. I believe everybody in my class was issued Bates from the NEX Uniform Shop.
Well, they get "issued," but you pay for them.

They give you a uniform allowance. Everyone gets the same amount of money (except priors will also get their last annual uniform allowance pro-rated, and I think girls get more than guys). You then take that money and use it to pay your bill at the uniform shop. But anything you don't need to spend money on is money you can bank. Like, if you go with Flying Cross instead of Brooks Brothers, that's more money in your pocket. So if you bring boots and tell the ladies at the uniform shop you don't need them, you keep the difference.

And I'm pretty sure priors can bring all uniform items that will cross over including boots, unless they're falling apart at the seams or don't look anything like the Bates. If you think your black leathers still have some life in them, I say bring them. The worst that can happen is they can say "Nah, you need new ones anyway." So either you save some money, or what was always going to happen happens anyway.

Well, they get "issued," but you pay for them.

They give you a uniform allowance. Everyone gets the same amount of money (except priors will also get their last annual uniform allowance pro-rated, and I think girls get more than guys). You then take that money and use it to pay your bill at the uniform shop. But anything you don't need to spend money on is money you can bank. Like, if you go with Flying Cross instead of Brooks Brothers, that's more money in your pocket. So if you bring boots and tell the ladies at the uniform shop you don't need them, you keep the difference.

And I'm pretty sure priors can bring all uniform items that will cross over including boots, unless they're falling apart at the seams or don't look anything like the Bates. If you think your black leathers still have some life in them, I say bring them. The worst that can happen is they can say "Nah, you need new ones anyway." So either you save some money, or what was always going to happen happens anyway.

And you say that you can expect to spend roughly $2500 on your uniform bill? Is that after the uniform allowance is applied or is it including the uniform allowance?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The initial allowance is $1850, so you'll pay around $500-700 out of pocket depending on if you splurge on dress uniforms (don't). My final bill was $2100 ish, but NWUs are more expensive than wash khakis were, especially thanks to that $300 jacket and $30 surcharge to get all the nametapes/rank sewn on them.

The initial allowance is $1850, so you'll pay around $500-700 out of pocket depending on if you splurge on dress uniforms (don't). My final bill was $2100 ish, but NWUs are more expensive than wash khakis were, especially thanks to that $300 jacket and $30 surcharge to get all the nametapes/rank sewn on them.
$300 jacket meaning the parka and liner?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Oh, if you're a prior you don't get the $1850 initial clothing allowance. You already got it at boot camp.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Oh, if you're a prior you don't get the $1850 initial clothing allowance. You already got it at boot camp.
That I did not know. That sucks, they have to get new SDB's and chokers, combo covers (except for the chiefs), and all that on their own dime. At least they get an annual uniform maintenance allowance (or whatever it is) while they're enlisted.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Yes, and it's about $640. If you subtract the cost of NWUs, which is about $800 for everything, plus dress shoes, the service khaki top, and now the ike jacket that he already has, it's probably in the ballpark of what his costs will be.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
That happened to you like two days ago, too. You should probably put it in your signature (like 29/F/AD), because otherwise people have to click on your avatar to see you're female.