• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

BleedGreen

pilot
What about bringing my NWU's? Is there a place to keep them, any other priors on here that wish they would have brought more or less? Should I just bring digi's or bring boots too? Or just say screw it and pay the boatload of money for the uniform issue?

Bringing NWU's that will work is a crap shoot because of how badly they fade. If you think they won't stick out too bad in a crowd of 30-60 then sure bring them. Worse case scenario, you store them in your coffin locker and buy new ones when you get there. I would highly encourage bringing the NWU parka with liner and all weather coat with liner to save some cash.

exNavyOffRec

I realize this thread isn't exactly the place to ask questions about this particular thing you wrote, but since it's already in this thread--what exactly does this mean? If SWO is as full as Intel, then is there no point in a person who thought Intel would be his first choice to put SWO first instead due to the difficulty of selection / wait-time of Intel? And one thing I've never really been clear on, no matter whether we're talking about a "quite full" intel or SWO, is what is the worst-case scenario for wait-time, assuming a person is pro-rec'd Y the first time he's considered? 1 year? 2 years? (i.e. will I age out of this no matter what I do?)

first I guess the easiest thing to start with is in nearly every case SWO is going to be easier to get into than Intel.

I said "quite full" since people are being moved to FY15, now if they indeed fill FY14 then NRC can either halt SWO selections or still do selections but have minimal pro Y's, NRC doesn't like to pro Y people if they know it will be over a year wait, ideally those pro Y will go to OCS within months of being pro Y

Bringing NWU's that will work is a crap shoot because of how badly they fade. If you think they won't stick out too bad in a crowd of 30-60 then sure bring them. Worse case scenario, you store them in your coffin locker and buy new ones when you get there. I would highly encourage bringing the NWU parka with liner and all weather coat with liner to save some cash.

So if you're still able to get a good shine on your NWU boots do you think that will fly? My concern is the process of breaking in another pair of boots...it took me roughly 2 months to break in my lady pair. Just concerned about my feet...

BleedGreen

pilot
So if you're still able to get a good shine on your NWU boots do you think that will fly? My concern is the process of breaking in another pair of boots...it took me roughly 2 months to break in my lady pair. Just concerned about my feet...

As long as they're the regular Navy standard issue Bates, you should be good to go.

upload_2014-2-10_13-13-4.jpeg

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
so née you graduate from OCS your pay grade gets changed to O-1?
You have to commission. Some people graduate OCS but have medical or other things that holds them from commissioning. If you graduate but don't commission you go to student pool and continue recieving E-5 pay.

Mr Spenz

pilot
They are issued. I don't believe you get to use your old ones. I believe everybody in my class was issued Bates from the NEX Uniform Shop.

skittle986

Ensign, Civil engineer corps, U.S Navy.
You have to commission. Some people graduate OCS but have medical or other things that holds them from commissioning. If you graduate but don't commission you go to student pool and continue recieving E-5 pay.

oh ok, I thought you automatically get commissioned. Is there another process that you have to go through?

What is "student pool"? What are other reasons that you can get placed there after graduation that would prevent you from commissioning right away?

Mr Spenz

pilot
What is "student pool"? What are other reasons that you can get placed there after graduation that would prevent you from commissioning right away?
You do odd jobs around for OTCN. Its mainly medical. Usually anything other than aviation will graduate and commission as their medical is not as in depth as aviation. You have to be medically qualified for your job (i.e. SWO, CEC, SNA etc.) so if you are in aviation your physical at OCS goes to NAMI and then you wait to hear back from them which is usually during the 11th or 12th week. If you have waivers that you have to wait on or multiple tests that takes NAMI longer you could go to student pool. Right now people that are commissioning from OCS are going home and doing OHARP (work at your home recruiting office) for 7 weeks before going to Pensacola. Finally you can get in trouble for drinking on liberty and that can prevent you...yes it happens.

You do odd jobs around for OTCN. Its mainly medical. Usually anything other than aviation will graduate and commission as their medical is not as in depth as aviation. You have to be medically qualified for your job (i.e. SWO, CEC, SNA etc.) so if you are in aviation your physical at OCS goes to NAMI and then you wait to hear back from them which is usually during the 11th or 12th week. If you have waivers that you have to wait on or multiple tests that takes NAMI longer you could go to student pool. Right now people that are commissioning from OCS are going home and doing OHARP (work at your home recruiting office) for 7 weeks before going to Pensacola. Finally you can get in trouble for drinking on liberty and that can prevent you...yes it happens.

Oh alright...thank you the the information. One more question...do people normally OHARP right after they leave OCS? If so, does it have to be done in your home town (home of record)?

Mr Spenz

pilot
Oh alright...thank you the the information. One more question...do people normally OHARP right after they leave OCS? If so, does it have to be done in your home town (home of record)?
No not normally. Its because of the high back up. Yes, it will be from the station you came from.