• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

srqwho

pilot
Some Clarification please

AW has been such a help and has calmed many nerves heading in to the process of applying to OCS... thanks. Being my first post, I'll write a quick bit about me. I am finishing my Master's degree and am waiting for my 6 month waiting period to come to a close... I had PRK done in early Jan (best thing I ever did for myself!!!). I am 24 and am intent on heading to OCS given that I am selected. I am applying for SNA first and only choice. Undergrad GPA - 3.3(Physical Geography) Graduate GPA - 3.8 (Geography). PRT: Run - 8:50, Sit-ups - 101, Push-ups - 60. Eagle Scout.

My questions. Now I realize that a search function does exist and can be found on the tool bar between 'quick links' and 'new posts', but I have done some searching, and to be honest, a thesis and 2 final papers are exhausting all my PC time at this point. Anyway, I am in a serious relationship, and my girlfriend (soon to be fiance... shhh) is excited, yes excited, about my interest in joining the Navy. Given a 'yes', it looks like we'd be married before an OCS start date. She is an attorney (just passed the FL bar), but isn't quite intent on practicing law in a firm at this point. Can somebody PLEASE give me (so I can give her) a quick, but detailed, outline about each phase of training from OCS to Advanced, and the 'rules' regarding spouses (married) living together. Now I realize that OCS is a different animal and we can't be living together (married or not... I think), but what about the other phases? And last, can somebody also provide an outline of the length of each phase and the possible locations? So far I am thinking that it goes something like this:
OCS - 12 Weeks in RI or FLA?
IFS - in Pcola (variable length)
API - 6 weeks in Pcola
Primary - length(?) in Texas or FLA?
Intermediate - length(?) and where(?)
Advanced - length(?) and where(?)

I know that location depends on what pipeline you're in, but info on how long each phase is would be helpful. I realize that her willingness to go through this with me is a sacrifice in terms of her own career, and I just want to provide her with some more detailed info as I would appreciate it if the tables were turned. I have read the posts about 'young' marriages here and heard the nay-sayer's bit... but I've been in quite a few relationships, and Navy or not, this girl's the one. Thanks in advance!

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
At least he posted an intro.

Welcome to the wonderful world of posting on AW, thick skin encouraged. OCS - 13 weeks, now only in RI, assuming you pass everything and don't roll to a later class. Meaning, stay healthy and be SH on your RLP and your classes. There are other posts on the other phases. Good luck, with everything.

srqwho

pilot
Sorry if that was abrasive... my recruiter is a busy guy and it's been frustrating trying to get all my questions answered. Thanks.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Now I realize that a search function does exist and can be found on the tool bar between 'quick links' and 'new posts', but I have done some searching, and to be honest, a thesis and 2 final papers are exhausting all my PC time at this point.... my recruiter is a busy guy and it's been frustrating trying to get all my questions answered. Thanks.

+1 for most original excuse not to use search

Just remember the path to getting your wings is not like sucessive semesters in college with set start and end dates. You could get pooled or delayed at virtually any point waiting to class up or due to weather, injury or a host of other circumstances. After API, your timeline will depend on getting events accomplished and your performance so your significant other has to be pretty flexible if she's along for the ride.

IrishNavy05

pilot
Contributor
OCS - 12 Weeks in RI or FLA?
IFS - in Pcola (variable length)
API - 6 weeks in Pcola
Primary - length(?) in Texas or FLA?
Intermediate - length(?) and where(?)
Advanced - length(?) and where(?)

Just because I feel your thesis-pain, and I'm bored on a Sunday night, here goes...

IFS - must be completed within 60 days I believe, but generally less....I'd estimate 40 days
API - 6 weeks in Pcola - be prepared to wait in "A-pool" (waiting to class up) for somewhere between 2 weeks and 6 months, depending on the current situation
Primary - 5-7 months, Whiting Field (FL) or NAS Corpus (TX)
Intermediate - no longer exists
Advanced - very platform specific...P-3's, you'll be done in 5.5 months, and you'll be in Corpus Christi, TX. Helo's, it seems to be more like 7-8 months, and you'll be at Whiting Field, FL. Jets, 11-14 months, out of Kingsville, TX or Meridian, MS. E-2/C-2 you'll do time in Corpus and Kingsville, and it probably takes 12 months. No idea how long E-6's take, but you'll be in Enid, OK
RAG - platform specific. P-3's is in Jacksonville, Jets have a couple (Lemoore and ???), Helo's have San Diego and Mayport I think.

At each place, be prepared to have somewhere between 1-6 weeks of waiting in the "pool" before you class up.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
OCS - 13 weeks, now only in RI, assuming you pass everything and don't roll to a later class. Meaning, stay healthy and be SH on your RLP and your classes.

OCS is 12 weeks, and getting done in 12 weeks is out of your hands to a certain extent. We had a SEAL in my class get rolled who was a locked on guy and an honor graduate at Stanford. It changes from class to class, but some classes will lose more than half the class during RLP. The class I showed up in had something like 9 "originals" graduate in the class out of 50 something.

IrishNavy05 said:
IFS must be completed within 60 days...

Actually IFS must be completed within 50 days. Most people finish between 45 and 50 now, but occasionally they must be granted a few extra days because of whether etc...

To agree with heyjoe, you need to understand that the whole process is pretty unpredictable in length. If for instance you spend an extra 4 weeks in Newport because you were rolled or hurt etc., and you take a week or two getting down here, you could potentially have a much longer wait than the guys that came down with your original OCS class. (or it could be the other way around... its all timing) Some of it is on you. If you get to Pensacola and you rush through all the stuff that you need to do in order to class up and you let it be known you want to get done as quick as possible that may speed things along. The guys with a PPL right now are generally classing up immediately for API after arriving here and then go immediately to primary, so if getting a PPL is an option that may speed things along. Good luck.

Rg9

pilot
To answer your marriage questions...

I didn't do OCS, so not sure of the rules, but I'm certain you can't live together. You might be able to see her on the weekends after a few weeks into it, but don't plan for much face time.

The rest of it... well, you'll be an officer, and sort of ;) treated like one too. You are responsible to find your own place to live (on or off base), and what you do on your off time is your own business (unless you're breaking the law or making the Navy look bad in some way). You can live with your wife and you'll probably have plenty of time to spend together too. The A-pool (while waiting for IFS and later for API) rules change from time to time, but when I was there we showed up every morning to show our ID, then were free for the rest of the day. During API, Primary, etc. you'll be scheduled for classes/flights/etc., but the "scheduled" part of the day isn't usually more than 4 or 5 hours. You study on your own time (at home or wherever you want to), and it probably ranges anywhere from 1-10 hours per day depending on the person and where you are in the syllabus. The one exception is if you get Vance for Primary, then you get to deal with the Air Force 12 hours/day "study hall" BS. Don't get Vance.

I got married right before heading down to P'cola and it was the best time to do it, in my mind. I will say, though, that she has to be 100% committed to YOUR job. It sounds like she's a good one so you're probably fine, but I know of too many instances where the wife wanted her own career, etc. It won't work like that. You'll be moving too frequently with little notice. If she's ok with that, in my opinion, being married in flight school with a supportive wife is the best thing you can do.

LivinMyDream

pilot
The gouge above is some good stuff, though I have this to add. If you are married and you move your wife down to Pensacola for IFS, API, etc., you will have follow on orders to go to Whiting Field (Milton, FL) for Primary. Thus, you won't have to move in between API and Primary.

SingDixieGoNavy

BeerMan
pilot
The rest of it... well, you'll be an officer, and sort of ;) treated like one too.

Don't lie to him. You are in no way treated like an officer during flight school. You are treated like a 6 year old. Occasionally they treat you older, but only when they want to correct you for something you did wrong--because to correct you--you must be a responsible individual.

Rg9

pilot
Don't lie to him. You are in no way treated like an officer during flight school. You are treated like a 6 year old. Occasionally they treat you older, but only when they want to correct you for something you did wrong--because to correct you--you must be a responsible individual.
Ok, ok, point taken. Sorry for the bad gouge :). It's still better than the Air Force, though.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
RAG - platform specific. P-3's is in Jacksonville, Jets have a couple (Lemoore and ???), Helo's have San Diego and Mayport I think.

There is a Hornet RAG at Oceana. Prowler RAG is at Whidbey. E2/C2 RAG is in Norfollk.

To the OP: This stuff is readily available with google.