• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
You put it in laundry bags until you get time to do laundry, which isn't super often right away. Bring extra socks and skivvies.

mynameis

I was reviewing the authorized items to bring to OCS and I saw this at the very bottom - Females only: gold ball stud earrings (authorized in 9th week)

I'm curious did any women actually wear earrings (if they actually brought them) in the 9th week and after? If they did wear them did they have to ask permission or did they just go ahead and wear them without asking anyone for permission?

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
OCS Holidays?

As I'm leaving Oct. 23, I noticed that I will be at OCS over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Do we get holidays off or any sort of break from training? :D

To add my perspective, I also took leave for the two week holiday, but the interesting part was I was only at OCS for two weeks before the Holiday Stand-down. Coming back to Newport on New Year's Day with a hangover was about the worst I ever felt in my life. Coming back was much harder than coming in the first place. And yeah, I'm still in the hole on leave.

mynameis

While browsing airwarriors I've come across people that have attended OCS say 'don't be that guy'. What were the most common 'don't be that guy' moments/scenes?

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
From reading this thread, it basically comes down to the people that don't ever "get it." OCS is a game. The people who don't ever realize it end up alienating themselves from the rest of their class by getting mad at everyone for something that would've happened regardless.

There are also those who think OCS means everything in the world and will therefore step all over everyone else to be best in their class (e.g. sucking up to class team). I think there's some overlap here with the first group though. OCS is an indoctrination program and means very little in the scheme of a Naval career.

If you want to be successful, be a team player, and never give up. You can put up with 12 weeks of just about anything.

jtmedli

pilot
While browsing airwarriors I've come across people that have attended OCS say 'don't be that guy'. What were the most common 'don't be that guy' moments/scenes?

We had a guy in my class who wouldnt STFU to save his life, but would 'shhh' everyone else and then keep talking. He was "that guy" for multiple reasons.

mynameis

I just of another question.

Do indoctrination candidates have the wear the poopie suit for the whole 3 weeks of indoc phase?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor

Do indoctrination candidates have the wear the poopie suit for the whole 3 weeks of indoc phase?
The Indoc. phase only lasts for the first week. After that, you'll be wearing the NWUs. Though, depending on your class and your class team, you may end up wearing the poopie suits again.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor

This was under the old program "The New Way Forward" or whatever when I went through. During that yes, we had to be in poopie suits for 3 weeks....but as eas said, it should only be a week now.

mynameis

Oops, I just noticed that I forgot to write thought and to. Thanks guys/gals for answering my questions I appreciate it.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I visit about.com a lot to find info on the Navy and on the side bar I always see this video and I finally clicked on it.

http://video.about.com/usmilitary/How-to-Make-Military-Corners.htm.

I know it's about the Army but but since it's the military I was wondering if that is the same way candidates fold their racks while at OCS.

I've never seen that video, but I'm going to tell you stop trying to figure little stuff like this out. The last thing you need is to learn the WRONG way to do it and piss your Gunny off more and end up on your face for longer than you already will be there. OCS is a mind game.....don't try to game it early.

I've been making military corners since I was 4, but thats because both my Mom and Dad were GySgts in the USMC. So yeah....otherwise, just enjoy your time for now. I'm sure the corners are the same, but spend your energy learning the Big 4 instead.

A

AlexSmart

"don't try to game it early" <----- About 3/4 of your day-to-day OCS experience depends on the attitude/habits/style of your Class Team (Chief, Drill instructor, class officer). Emphasis on different points of militarization vary so much from class to class that there is no use in trying to prepare for it. What will absolutely stay the same: verbatim knowledge of the basic gouge will help carry you through RLP, 6th Week Khaki Inspection, and ORLP ( in Officer Candidate Regulations)....

{http://www.ocs.navy.mil/pdfs/Updated.Gouge.Pack.OCS2.pdf} <---- This is all current

AND obviously be in as best physical shape as possible. There are currently quite a few bodies in H and Med Hold because individuals did adequately train themselves.