• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Are females allowed to wear shoulder boards on Full dress white? I just saw a photo of a change of command where the new CO (a female wearing white jacket large medals) had O-6 rank on the shoulders vice the sleeves. Am I missing something huge?

Oh I think I figured it out myself....Coast Guard, right?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
malli9 said:
Thank you for the good answer. I have another question, what is a flying tour and how long is it?

Simply put, a "flying tour" is an assignment to a squadron that typically last 3 years, but your mileage may vary. Some folks are rolled out the door early to reset the squadron with new folks for next set of workups or extended past 3 years (I joined my first fleet squadron in 1981 and was extended twice so I didn't leave until 1986).

KBayDog

...(I joined my first fleet squadron in 1981 and was extended twice so I didn't leave until 1986).

Many current fleet aviators weren't even alive in 1981, and the "Class of 1986" will be winging in the not-too-distant-future.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Many current fleet aviators weren't even alive in 1981, and the "Class of 1986" will be winging in the not-too-distant-future.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

LOL. Just think, one day in a decade or two, you'll be a senior mod with 10,000+ posts talking about your first fleet tour to someone not yet born.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
My dad just gave me his old watch that has the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor engraved on the background. Would it be inappropriate for me to wear said watch? I am currently applying for PLC so should I save it for if/when I make it through OCS?

Also, has anyone done a shoulder consult before? I am flying to Quantico on Wednesday to get my shoulder looked at and I have no idea what to expect besides some pull-ups and/or push-ups.

I think I may be needlessly worrying about nothing.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My dad just gave me his old watch that has the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor engraved on the background. Would it be inappropriate for me to wear said watch? I am currently applying for PLC so should I save it for if/when I make it through OCS?

...I think I may be needlessly worrying about nothing.

You are.

Hand me down from dad = good to go.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Just don't wear it at OCS. Not so much because of the Marine Corps emblem, but because it will end up caked in mud with a broken crystal.

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor
Just don't wear it at OCS. Not so much because of the Marine Corps emblem, but because it will end up caked in mud with a broken crystal.

I figured that would happen.

Just got back from Quantico last night and I passed the shoulder exam. The doctor had me push/pull on her hands in different positions and directions(if you've ever had a shoulder injury you know what I am talking about). Then I did 20 push-ups follwed by the same tests, then we played catch with a weighted ball followed by the tests, and finally I did 10 pull-ups followed by the tests again.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Then I did 20 push-ups follwed by the same tests, then we played catch with a weighted ball followed by the tests, and finally I did 10 pull-ups followed by the tests again.

Almost sounds like OCS, just add yelling and more reps

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
But in a new twist the Marines will get them first. In fact there is already a squadron secretly deployed to a gas station in Helmand. We will break them and then give them to the Navy when we collect the 'Super Lightning D/E II+.com' in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.