• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
If you were a prior enlisted aircrewman, is it true that you do not have to do the mile swim again during API? If that is true, what other things are excluded? I heard the phys stuff was mostly the same that I went through in NACCS, and in some cases, exactly repeating "Disney Week" and "Hell Week". Any truth to these rumors?
We have a WO in our class who did the pool stuff when he was an enlisted aircrewman and was excused from it during API. He did stay for the mile swim to cheer us on from the side. He had to do all the physiology stuff though and including the helo dunker.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are CAGs exempt from the "no more than 2 NATOPS quals" rule?

I was NATOPS qualed in the T-34C and SH-60B at the same time (basically, my last 60B check had not expired yet) but I would have had to let one go if I got NATOPS qualed in the T-44. (no NATOPS qual, I did the standard student SFS bit in the 44)

What's the reasoning behind this rule? Is it, as A4s suggested, they want to avoid people being jack of all trades, master of none?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a question. The whole "tailhook" thing of the cover. I sometimes see other SNA's do it and was wondering if that would be frowned upon. Is it reserved strictly for the tailhook community or winged aviators?

It's not a tailhook thing per se, but many of the VP/Helo dudes are just too square (read SWO-like) to sport it. There's a thread around here somewhere detailing its likely origins.

Brett

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a question. The whole "tailhook" thing of the cover. I sometimes see other SNA's do it and was wondering if that would be frowned upon. Is it reserved strictly for the tailhook community or winged aviators?

My God but you students worry about some arcane shit. Sometimes it sounds like you guys spend all your time worrying about whether an instructor will yell at you for how you wear your cover or shoes rather than not knowing your NATOPS and procedures.

If it's not allowed, it'll be in the uniform regs. Otherwise, do it. Any instructor who gives you shit about doing some traditional thing "early" is both full of shit and being a tool.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

What are you referring to here? Do you mean how some guys have the cover flattened out / creased on top?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was dual qualed at one point, but no longer. (actually, I don't have a current NATOPS qual in anything at the moment) but I do remember this being a point of "knowledges" brought up at some point in HSL Land.

Well there's your problem.

Yeah, for over the last year (as in it's not been by coincidence) I've been dualed qualled w/ no one batting an eye or worrying I was "pushing the envelope." In fact, in the last 12 months, I think I've had 4 Natops checks in two platforms. I call Proudwarrior shenanigans.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
If you want to dip your cover, then dip it. Same as the brown shoes/boots/leather jacket. If someone gives you shit, they are a douche.

For the last time: The only thing you shouldn't do before wings is WEAR WINGS! I wear the dip and I'm a helo guy.

Carry on... ;)

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
We have a WO in our class who did the pool stuff when he was an enlisted aircrewman and was excused from it during API. He did stay for the mile swim to cheer us on from the side. He had to do all the physiology stuff though and including the helo dunker.

That's what I had heard. I do not see it written anywhere though, but any first-hand knowledge of this is appreciated. Maybe I can man the "hook" and get a big foam finger on like you'd see at a ball game while I'm at it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's what I had heard. I do not see it written anywhere though, but any first-hand knowledge of this is appreciated. Maybe I can man the "hook" and get a big foam finger on like you'd see at a ball game while I'm at it.

When I went through in 1996, they made me do it all over again. So much for the N1 qual lasting a lifetime. Maybe things have changed.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I went through in 1996, they made me do it all over again. So much for the N1 qual lasting a lifetime. Maybe things have changed.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Same, same. Either way, what's the big deal? It's not like it's a particularly difficult evolution - just do it!

Brett

mh53eflyguy

Stashed...again.
Same, same. Either way, what's the big deal? It's not like it's a particularly difficult evolution - just do it!

Brett
Well, The forum said "Stupid Aviation Questions". I'm not complaining, nor and I against doing it all again. I did it once before so I don't see why I can't do it again! I'm all about swimming in a flight suit again! I had a blast in aircrew school, I'm looking forward to the same stuff on the "dark side" in all the evolutions!

nugget61

pilot
I call BS, unless she is a reporter or some kind of celebrity I doubt that she got to go up. They do incentive flights for reporters and celebrities but in my time I have not known any spouses or other civilian family members that got to go up in a Tacair jet.

:confused: No, shes just a regular civilian. Dunno. She came back all excited with a good story, pretty convincing pics and she doesn't know I'm going Navy, so I don't know why she'd lie.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Are females allowed to wear shoulder boards on Full dress white? I just saw a photo of a change of command where the new CO (a female wearing white jacket large medals) had O-6 rank on the shoulders vice the sleeves. Am I missing something huge?

Status
Not open for further replies.