• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Marines correct me, but I thought it was short for "whistling shitcan of death." Or is that the Phrog?

I was always told that it because they leaked so much. They "shit" oil and hyd fluid everywhere. They don't seem much different in that respect than any other helo, but a name doesn't have to be true to stick.

I've heard the "whistling shitcan of death" name applied to many different aircraft. Lately it seems to be on the Osprey, along with "Devils Whirlybird".

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Is it normal for military personnel to call the Hornet the F-18? It always irritates me when I hear people say F-18 instead of F/A-18 but I saw that NFO Youtube video and the NFO called it an F-18 so maybe I'm just being anal about it.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Is it normal for personnel to refer to the "F-18" Hornet? It always irritates me when I hear people say F-18 instead of F/A-18 but I saw that NFO Youtube video and the NFO called it an F-18 so maybe I'm just being anal about it.

That's normal in conversation. If you're giving a formal lecture or something, you'd say the whole thing.

They're more "F" than "A" anyway.

People also say "C-130" when it's really a KC-130.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Is it normal for military personnel to call the Hornet the F-18? It always irritates me when I hear people say F-18 instead of F/A-18 but I saw that NFO Youtube video and the NFO called it an F-18 so maybe I'm just being anal about it.

Maybe like the debate going on a few years ago about the designation...

Is it pronounced "FA" - Eighteen or is it "F 'an A" - Eighteen???

I don't know... sounds like an argument for designation nerds....:D

nugget61

pilot

I prefer just the 'f' - one of the few cases that shorter is better ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never heard anyone in the fleet say "F-A-Eighteen" or anything like. Just "Hornets" or "Rhinos". Or "Bugs". If anything, it's just "F-Eighteen".

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
I've never heard anyone in the fleet say "F-A-Eighteen" or anything like. Just "Hornets" or "Rhinos". Or "Bugs". If anything, it's just "F-Eighteen".

Like I said, it was a few years ago, and it was confined to some industry/pentagon nerds... haven't heard it since.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's normal in conversation. If you're giving a formal lecture or something, you'd say the whole thing.

They're more "F" than "A" anyway.

People also say "C-130" when it's really a KC-130.

Ahem, we like to think of ourselves as little f, big A in the 2-seat Rhino community, thank you very much.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Maybe like the debate going on a few years ago about the designation... Is it pronounced "FA" - Eighteen or is it "F 'an A" - Eighteen???
When it first came out and we were "fighting" it as an Adversary opponent -- the -18 drivers insisted on calling their mount the "F/A-18" ... very proud ... they wanted the "A" getting in there. Very tongue-tying when tryin' to brief/debrief a hop ...

Soooooooooooooo ... being good Reserve Bums w/ better things to do than get tongue-tied over what to call an aircraft, we usually obliged them by callin' their mount the "Fvckin'-A 18" ... it just seemed to "flow" off the palette. As an aside -- the Canuks we later faced "loved" that handle.

And just to be even handed, we called the F-15 Eagles the "Beagles" when working w/ them. I'll bet you never saw THAT one comin', yea-as???

Don't remember if the Pretty Boy F/18 or F-15 drivers really "liked" it or not :icon_wink, but we did get all the desired "Fvckin'-A" letters into our -18 conversations .... :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My API aero instructor (prowler ECMO) showed a video today of a viper pilot with a big red star on the side of his helmet fighting a Navy hornet, I became the butt of her jokes when I asked if it was a Navy F-16... She said the Navy doesn't fly F-16's... She refused to believe that we had them at Fallon...

Well, invite politely to check out this thread or take a cross-country to Fallon. Maybe she missed the F-16N that was especially built for the Navy and was operated by TOPGUN, VF-126, VF-45 and VF-43 in late eighties until mid nineties, but retired prematurely over issues of airframe stress. Or maybe she missed the return of the F-16 in Navy markings when the current F-16A/Bs arrived.

Show her this one....Prowler returning after 1 v 1 against NAVY Viper..in fact, that just might be a Prowler ECMO in back of Viper. Better yet, tell her to contact Brett. He and I were talking prior to this event. He could clue her in ECMO to ECMO.

ViperProwler.jpg

HJ Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.