• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
We tried to do "combat crews" for awhile one deployment. It worked for a couple weeks, until guys started going unk on various things, so high-qual IPs had to fly with different guys, so someone had to take their places, etc, etc.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We tried to do "combat crews" for awhile one deployment. It worked for a couple weeks, until guys started going unk on various things, so high-qual IPs had to fly with different guys, so someone had to take their places, etc, etc.

We tried it, too. Same result. First it was whole crews together as Combat Crews. That lasted about four days, then the pilots got out of sync with the back enders (currency, hours, DH's going to meetings), then the back-end crews got out of sync with each other (Skipper and XO were both FO's, so they were first to go).

Within two weeks, "Combat Crew Three" consisted of me and whoever was flying with me. Combat Crews vanished from the sked altogether within three weeks.

Shockershot87

That's kind of the whole point of the STANDARDIZATION of training. There might be little things here or there that you brief and do in the cockpit differently, but as a whole, we're all trained the SAME and know what to generally expect out of ANY other Naval Aviator we'll fly with. We can go on a moments notice do a brief with a guy we've never flown with before and accomplish a mission due to the standardization of the level of our training.

*WARNING* Take the above with the huge grain of salt of coming from a guy at the end of flight school with no fleet experience.

Thanks for the input, and Congratulations on making it as far as you have in Flight School. The biggest worry I have about Flight school is the daunting NAMI experience. I feel that my aptitude will be sufficient for the schooling itself, but I would hate to be slammed by the NAMI Whammy.

And that does make sense about the smaller the fleet, so you essentially are comfortable with everyone just like if you flew with one same guy all the time.

Also, by the time you hit the Fleet/Squadron, aren't you a LT anyways...?

Thanks for your input guys, it helps a bunch.

And yea, as soon as they come out with a Chopper movie similar to Top Gun... It'll be my new video bible.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chopper movie?

Choppermovie.jpg
EasyRider.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Thanks for the input, and Congratulations on making it as far as you have in Flight School. The biggest worry I have about Flight school is the daunting NAMI experience. I feel that my aptitude will be sufficient for the schooling itself, but I would hate to be slammed by the NAMI Whammy.

And that does make sense about the smaller the fleet, so you essentially are comfortable with everyone just like if you flew with one same guy all the time.

Also, by the time you hit the Fleet/Squadron, aren't you a LT anyways...?

Thanks for your input guys, it helps a bunch.

And yea, as soon as they come out with a Chopper movie similar to Top Gun... It'll be my new video bible.

Not a LT, most likely a LT(jg), sometimes an ENS if you're props or helos.

The earlier comments were talking about LT, O-3.

Marines have TBS too, so they rarely make it to the fleet as 2ndLts.

Status
Not open for further replies.