• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Eh, I'm not buying that. A lot of the energy is bled off by the time the nose settles and those cowlings aren't exactly welded to the aircraft. I'm not saying it won't happen, I just don't think it's guaranteed. Besides, if it flips, who cares? As long as the water is deep enough, it's not that different from getting out right side up, and you don't have to deal w/ that pesky gravity.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The reason that was given to me several times was not the intakes but the weight of the engine, supposedly a lot more than a regular aircraft. I would imgaine the CG of the aircraft a lot further forward than the Bonanza.

Agreed about the forward CG, but I really think that the intakes would dig in and certainly "help" the flipping process along, if not cause it outright. I think the smooth nose on the bonanza, aft CG aside, would help the nose "skip" along the water pushing it up and keeping it out of the water.

I suppose it's all hearsay until we read something substantial or empirical, but that's just my own personal hypothesis.

@ Gatordev: I am thinking that this is a particular issue with a less-than-perfect landing. So ya, if you flare over the water and stall it out and touch down at like 60-70 knots or something, then ya it may not be a huge factor. But if you lay it down flat or something at 100kts, that's more what I was getting at. And they may not be structurally connected to the aircraft, but all those intakes have to do is create enough force to have the aircraft pointed downward into the water just a little for it to flip over at a reasonable forward airspeed.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Eh, I'm not buying that. A lot of the energy is bled off by the time the nose settles and those cowlings aren't exactly welded to the aircraft. I'm not saying it won't happen, I just don't think it's guaranteed. Besides, if it flips, who cares? As long as the water is deep enough, it's not that different from getting out right side up, and you don't have to deal w/ that pesky gravity.

Wouldn't you be underwater? ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If & when you hit/flip when you and/or the aircraft enters the H2O ... just hope & pray that you don't break any bones while waiting for the ride and/or bubbles to STOP ... as escape from any type of aircraft then becomes problematical by a factor of HUGE ....

Believe it.
:(

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There was a story going around Whidbey about a Prowler that crashed off takeoff/landing a long time ago, the crew punched out and landed on the golf course. A golfer offered them beers and one of them took him up on it. Showed up on the blood tests.

I know people that insisted that it was true and those who insisted it was not. Funny story either way.

They probably realized it was a perfect opportunity for a cover story for the alcohol already in their systems!

Reminds me of an old joke.

A young man rear-ends an old codger in a Cadillac.

It was a bad collision, and they both gingerly get out of their cars and are amazed that they're both okay.

The old man opens his trunk and removes a bottle of 10-year-old scotch, and says,"Wow, it's amazing this wasn't broken! It must be a good omen. How about a drink to celebrate the fact that we're both unharmed!" He hands the bottle to the young man, who was just glad that the old man wasn't angry.

The young man takes a healthy swig from the bottle, while the old man says, "Go ahead, drink as much as you like to celebrate our luck!"

The young man hands the bottle back and asks, "Would you like a drink, too?"

"Naw, I think I'll just wait here for the police to arrive."

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Well if we are all being enginerds right now (to quote Otto), the CG should be in roughly the same place between both AC. They have a long nose on the turbine version to help make a longer moment arm to account for the lighter turbine motor, or at least that is how it was described to me.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
If you can keep the aircraft completely level during the whole "evolution," then I'd say you'd fair alright. But as soon as a wing dips then you're screwed. I've seen videos where aircraft survive the initial contact, bounce and then dig into the water to flip. Sea state is a huge factor, too.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Some days it was nice to have an ejection seat in Primary...took all the guess-work out of exiting the Aircraft in an emergency...:D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I did a quick Yahoo search and it looks like Canada has CF18's that participate in NORAD exercises.
http://www.norad.mil/Images/Images_2007/Index.html

The first picture is about 6 pics down the page and more at about half way down.

It would appear to be mostly Airforce though.

CF-18's (CF-188's in the Canadian Forces) provide the Canadian contribution to NORAD, there are several on alert at all times and have recently taken part in the intercepts of the Russian flights near Alaska.

The US contribution is fulfilled by by USAF and ANG aircraft. Only in certain circumstances, not too common, have I seen Navy and Marine aircraft used. One example was immediately after 9/11 anything available was utilized.

Joseph123

Banned
*Is it possible to snag an arresting wire while still airborne?

*Do hornet pilots carry a sidearm when they fly into a combat zone?

*Are Navy squadrons ever deployed to an airbase in a combat zone, for example Asad or Bagram?

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
*Is it possible to snag an arresting wire while still airborne?

*Do hornet pilots carry a sidearm when they fly into a combat zone?

*Are Navy squadrons ever deployed to an airbase in a combat zone, for example Asad or Bagram?

*Yes and it is usually ugly.

*Yes

*Yes (aircraft type specific, if required)

Status
Not open for further replies.