• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
then again, you have a lot more 5 wet shots than I do now :)
giphy.gif

azguy

None
Correct. I don't off the top of my head know if you could theoretically substitute the centerline ARS for another tank, but I know "4 wet" (i.e. no ARS but the other 4 wing tanks) is illegal. In terms of takeoff weight, you are pushing max TO weight for the E/F in 5 wet, basically no extra weight available to carry anything else on the outboards or wingtips assuming you are fully bagged out, so no practical use in flying 5 wet for anything other than tanker. That and it flies like a dump truck.

Given that the 5-wet tanker puts so much strain on the airframe, what other options are out there? I've heard, in events where big-wing support is available, the wings launch empty 5-wets to prevent the strain, then have the MTNK yo-yo from the big-wing.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Given that the 5-wet tanker puts so much strain on the airframe, what other options are out there? I've heard, in events where big-wing support is available, the wings launch empty 5-wets to prevent the strain, then have the MTNK yo-yo from the big-wing.
You can launch 3 wet or ARS only if you're planning on not being airborne very long. There are several ways to tackle the tanking problem....especially if there's big wing gas airborne.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nah I mean who is in the backseat of the T-6A
At VT-4/10, the first 8 FAM flights the SNFO sits in the front and the IP sits in the back. The SNFO learns basic pilot stuff: take-off, landings, approach, S-turns, spins, Level flight power changes, altitude management, comms, etc. After that, the SNFO sits in the back with the IP in the front and proceeds to NAV/Co-pilot stuff.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At VT-4/10, the first 8 FAM flights the SNFO sits in the front and the IP sits in the back. The SNFO learns basic pilot stuff: take-off, landings, approach, S-turns, spins, Level flight power changes, altitude management, comms, etc. After that, the SNFO sits in the back with the IP in the front and proceeds to NAV/Co-pilot stuff.

Pretty sure they shortened it to 6 flights years ago but am not sure, a more recent wingee, who got their wings less than 20 years ago :D, ought to know better.

A Day In The Life

pilot
Correct. I don't off the top of my head know if you could theoretically substitute the centerline ARS for another tank, but I know "4 wet" (i.e. no ARS but the other 4 wing tanks) is illegal. In terms of takeoff weight, you are pushing max TO weight for the E/F in 5 wet, basically no extra weight available to carry anything else on the outboards or wingtips assuming you are fully bagged out, so no practical use in flying 5 wet for anything other than tanker. That and it flies like a dump truck.

A 5 wet can have stores on the wingtip, even fully bagged out. We would frequently use the tanker to fulfill part of the DCA requirement while in the Gulf.