• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

TexasForever

pilot
I was the tower flower once on the Vinson during a boat det and a helo landed, the wheels were just on the left line of the wheel boxes, right on the waist (can't remember which spot exactly). No fixed wing flight ops happening, but the Captain comes charging in and flipped his shit on the Mini about why the helo wasn't directly in the middle of the boxes. The helo actually had to start back up and lift to center up, luckily they were still sitting on APU and hadn't shut down completely.

The moral of the story? Everyone is watching you land on the boat. Depending on platform you may not have a grade (a greenie board/etc), but people watch you land and you never want to be "that guy" with a jacked up landing.
If i were you i'd make snide remarks when they take forever docking the boat and ended up 25 feet off...at .5 knots

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
The moral of the story? Everyone is watching you land on the boat. Depending on platform you may not have a grade (a greenie board/etc), but people watch you land and you never want to be "that guy" with a jacked up landing.

I remember a guy in my squadron's first landing on the boat - it was terrible - just bounced back and forth several times before just PLANTING it. Meanwhile, the DH known as the squadron hard-ass is waiting to hot seat from him and you could read his lips from across the flight deck: "WHO THE FUCK WAS THAT?!" Upon getting back the ready room, he was greeted with all the applause and ribbing a FNG deserved after a landing like that. Our Readiness O said "Hey that's great man! Now you're almost current since you can log three landings!"

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
yep. You could shoot a danger close strafe, slick off the jet and if you come back and throw a scary pass, that's all anyone knows/cares about.

Why did you slick off the jet? Did you get defensive approaching theater minalt? Your BFM obviously needs work, bro...

Now, about that turd of a pass you just threw... ;)

I once had a skipper literally order me to go see the flight doc and get my eyes checked after I threw a scary night pass (a little too much power off in the middle... mil... nope, that won't be enough... burner... WAVE OFF LIGHTS... Taxi into the one-wire.) For the young'uns, that's what we call a NO GRADE, or a turd, denoted by the brown square on the squadron "greenie" board where landing grades are displayed for all to see.

On the plus side, paddles told me I earned "closest to the pin" that fly week for nearly hitting the round-down. :confused:

Last edited:

jmcquate

Contributor
There's a VF-41 greenie board from the 80s in the Air & Space Museum that has a few no-grades on it. Always felt sorry for the Tomcat drivers that have that ensconced for the ages for millions to see.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
For the rotary and Harrier guys..............are your boat recoveries graded? If so, how?
Yes, harrier dudes get their landings graded by an LSO, much like people with tail hooks. There's no board though, and it's only an issue if you have a pattern of sucking. The shorthand and grades very similar to what we got in flight school even though the process is different.

jmcquate

Contributor
Yes, harrier dudes get their landings graded by an LSO, much like people with tail hooks. There's no board though, and it's only an issue if you have a pattern of sucking. The shorthand and grades very similar to what we got in flight school even though the process is different.
Are your launches graded? That always seemed like the hard part to me.

Python

pilot
Contributor

Hard? Compared to landing a 20 ton machine onto a moving spot? No, it's not hard nor graded. You personally (as a noncarrier pilot) could launch from the ship with little effort.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Takeoffs afloat are not much different than ashore, just higher stakes since you can't really abort once you're moving. You do the same runups, set full power, maintain centerline and wait for the nozzle rotation line. Other than the choppers whizzing by on the right, it's like normal takeoff except you rotate the nozzles when you hit the end of the deck instead of a calculated airspeed. If you're asking about vertical takeoffs, those are pretty much only from a ship for hover checks during FCF's.

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
Dumb question incoming; do you guys play any sports together during your off time, and if so which ones?