• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
I asked before about actually living in Tijuana--if you're based in San Diego can you cross over the border to visit whenever you want, or do you need to get permission to go?

I've heard it's a cool place.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Career wise..............nothing good can come from going to TJ.
Wouldn't that depend on one's career aspirations?
raf,750x1000,075,t,e0e1dd:064437a66d.u2.jpg

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I asked before about actually living in Tijuana--if you're based in San Diego can you cross over the border to visit whenever you want, or do you need to get permission to go?

The last policy I saw when I left San Diego was that you had to get your first O-6 (Captain) in your Chain of Command to buy off on going to Mexico... I usually saw it approved, but I also usually saw that it took several months in advance to be approved. As a result, most guys didn't go. I saw one guy do it legally for his honeymoon, and I saw 2 other guys go without permission together.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Not sure what your interest in TJ is. I went there for the first time maybe 20 years ago or so, before things were "dangerous" (that part is probably debatable), and it was still a shithole. Plenty of much better locations in MX that are worth your tourism dollars and time. If you want somewhere close, go down to some of the towns in Baja, on the gulf side. I think that is the kind of place you think TJ is going to be.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None

On the flip side, if you're stationed in the PNW (Whidbey) you can go to Canada pretty much anytime you want. Very little paperwork required for a weekend trip to Vancouver/Victoria/Whistler.

Caesium

I'm curious, do you any of you have any experience flying with foreign pilots, whether in a PEP tour or otherwise? What was that like? (Kind of a purposely open ended question)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm curious, do you any of you have any experience flying with foreign pilots, whether in a PEP tour or otherwise? What was that like? (Kind of a purposely open ended question)
There have been Brits and Germans at the VAQ RAG for as long as I can remember, and now there are Australians there and in Expeditionary fleet squadrons. They tend to send great folks.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
One of the best FRS/RAG IP's I ever had was a Brit Harrier dude. Have known other examples of foreign exchange pilots since then, almost all have been outstanding aviators and people. I think they view PEP a little differently (unfortunately) than we do…….that isn't a dig on USN PEP guys, but to have such a cool and career expanding assignment be relegated to "career risk" (or "suicide" depending on who you talk to) is just absurd to me, and indicative of having the wrong community outlook on the program.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The Brits have had several V-22 pilots with the USMC. All the ones I've met have been outstanding.

I think the Corps has a more positive view of exchanges than the USN. Most of the guys I've known who done one were upwardly mobile and continued to be after the conclusion of their tours. As always, timing is important--you still need to get a DH fitrep in time, but as long as that is met, it's considered fairly prestigious.

Caesium

One of the best FRS/RAG IP's I ever had was a Brit Harrier dude. Have known other examples of foreign exchange pilots since then, almost all have been outstanding aviators and people. I think they view PEP a little differently (unfortunately) than we do…….that isn't a dig on USN PEP guys, but to have such a cool and career expanding assignment be relegated to "career risk" (or "suicide" depending on who you talk to) is just absurd to me, and indicative of having the wrong community outlook on the program.
Suicide from a command track point of view, correct? I've heard it can be a good way to get picked up for FAO.