• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Caesium

Blue is my favorite color
I'm curious too, given the Navy's institutional attitude of "technology's great but it'll probably break when you really need it or the bullets start flying, so train like you won't have it."
Yeah I was wondering how it would be implemented into flight school and whatnot. I assume people would still be taught how to land without it.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Yeah I was wondering how it would be implemented into flight school and whatnot. I assume people would still be taught how to land without it.
It's not something they can implement in T-45's so they will continue learning to land without it or they'll stop doing CQ. Obviously I think they'll keep learning to land without it.

landthief

This has probably been asked a handful of times, but I can't find a recent answer. It also is probably 'I don't know' or 'no one knows.'

But if you had to ballpark, about what time will F35s start dropping for SNAs?

Caesium

Huh?

I get that "42%" is a catchphrase here, but he asked "what time."

That would be like if I was at a train station and I asked someone "do you know what time the next train will arrive?" And he replied "70%." It doesn't really make sense.

Alright, I'm done being a smartass now.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Huh?

I get that "42%" is a catchphrase here, but he asked "what time."

That would be like if I was at a train station and I asked someone "do you know what time the next train will arrive?" And he replied "70%." It doesn't really make sense.

I think that was the joke dude, and a way of saying around here "There's no reliable way to know."

As to MAGIC CARPET in degraded modes, the "system" isn't so much a system as a function of the flight control software. In other words, asking "What happens if it doesn't work?" is akin to asking "What happens if the flight controls don't work?" The answer is you eject and the plane goes in the drink. At least that's my understanding as a currently-non-seagoing FA-18 pilot.

Caesium

I think that was the joke dude, and a way of saying around here "There's no reliable way to know."

As to MAGIC CARPET in degraded modes, the "system" isn't so much a system as a function of the flight control software. In other words, asking "What happens if it doesn't work?" is akin to asking "What happens if the flight controls don't work?" The answer is you eject and the plane goes in the drink. At least that's my understanding as a currently-non-seagoing FA-18 pilot.
My bad.

Unrelated stupid question: is it hard to adjust to landing on normal runways after being on a carrier?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

My understanding is that there's no Magic Carpet black box or WRA. It's purely a software change to the FCS.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
My bad.

Unrelated stupid question: is it hard to adjust to landing on normal runways after being on a carrier?
Depends on if you remember to turn the ANTI-SKID back on...and leave your hook up. Either could get interesting if you dick them up.