• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Navy Ship

How much sleep do you get on average in Primary and Intermediate flight school as well as FRS? What about out in the fleet. I suppose this depends a lot on your specific air frame so all input is appreciated :)

Green11

Living the dream
How much sleep do you get on average in Primary and Intermediate flight school as well as FRS? What about out in the fleet. I suppose this depends a lot on your specific air frame so all input is appreciated :)

You have mandatory crew rest in primary and I would assume everywhere else. It is 12 hours. Sleep isn't an issue at all.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
You have mandatory crew rest in primary and I would assume everywhere else. It is 12 hours. Sleep isn't an issue at all.

So says the guy who is very early in the pipeline. Smilies and shit.

I've found that the key to getting a good amount of sleep in the training command as well as the FRS is to not fall behind in your studies and preperation. Best case is to stay a few events ahead, but at the least don't fall behind- it gets tough when that happens. Be familiar enough with the briefing items so that you only have to spend a few minutes studying the night before, and maybe 5 minutes before to refresh that knowledge.

There will be times where you struggle to fit it all in, especially when on det, or when your class is the #1 priority to get done because you are behind. Those 12 hours of crew rest get reduced to 10 at the FRS (at least they do at VFA-106), and that is from the time you leave until your next scheduled event. Didn't get out until 9pm, only to find out that you have 2x strike flights starting at 7am and will only have 15 mins between briefs? It gets tough.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
How much sleep do you get on average in Primary and Intermediate flight school as well as FRS?
How much sleep you get is all up to you. It will depend on your priorities, how you spend your "off time" i.e., study, hobbies, workouts, and the major determinant ..Gasp Nightlife! Periodically, night flying may require temporary adjustments in sleep habits.

What about out in the fleet. I suppose this depends a lot on your specific air frame so all input is appreciated :)
When shore-based, pretty much as above, except your assigned collateral duties will have to be factored in. Your command will allow for late reporting on days following night flights, allowing for sufficient rest.

Afloat, flight ops can long and grueling for days/nights on end. In addition to the flight schedule, collateral duties (especially DivOs), watches, meals, briefings.... sleep will have to be self-monitored, so that the times when you are utterly exhausted, will be after a flight, never prior to it. Long working days are standard at sea, even longer for our Sailors. There is an old saying in the fleet, that underway... you often get to sleep in snatchs!;)
Flight Ops in a combat scenario are something else. Maybe a vet of recent post Vietnam combat ops, can discuss sleep issues during combat deployment recently. During 'Nam, flight ops were too often such, that getting adequate rest was a major problem for EVERYONE, from mess cooks to Ships CO.:eek:
BzB

Last edited:
I saw what appeared to be bronze aviation wings today being worn by a Navy Commander. I was wondering if this is a special pin and what it was for or maybe it was just a faded set of wings of gold?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They were probably gold (like 14K gold) that has been allowed to tarnish. I think they look pretty sexy, but I don't wear my wings enough for mine to get that salty.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I saw what appeared to be bronze aviation wings today being worn by a Navy Commander. I was wondering if this is a special pin and what it was for or maybe it was just a faded set of wings of gold?
He was likely wearing subdued wings. In the field, shiny rank insignia is drab. Silver is black, and gold is brown or bronzish. As far as why people wear subdued wings with anodized rank, I have no idea. Actual gold shouldn't tarnish like silver.

ltedge46

Lost in the machine
None

Also could be the antiqued looking wings that you can buy, kind of distressed bronze in color. Did they look like this... http://www.vanguardmil.com/navy-badge-aviator-regulation-size-antique-gold-p-3761.html

I believe they come in the double anchor variety also.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Could they have been the authorized, but rarely worn NA "Antique" Wings? Back in the day Antiques were popular with AWGs & working (wash) khakis, both of which have gone the way of the dinosaurs. Still carried by your local NEX though.:)
USN WINGS - ANTIQUE-1.jpg
BzB