• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Coota0

None
Not a an of the mask, they're hot. As long as you're in trim I've seen no issues with not wearing one, but I don't typically do a lot of landing in the desert. I know guys who love them. Flew with a guy that dipped while wearing once a few days ago. Most in my unit do not wear them.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Not a an of the mask, they're hot. As long as you're in trim I've seen no issues with not wearing one, but I don't typically do a lot of landing in the desert. I know guys who love them. Flew with a guy that dipped while wearing once a few days ago. Most in my unit do not wear them.

Guys in back wear them. A few pilots have the snaps installed but don't wear them. Like you said, up front with aircraft in trim it's not really an issue anyways.

NCHopeful

I saw something that said Joint Chiefs of Staff billets could be painful, at least for Naval Aviation guys. Is there any non-OPSEC info on why that might be the case?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I saw something that said Joint Chiefs of Staff billets could be painful, at least for Naval Aviation guys. Is there any non-OPSEC info on why that might be the case?

It can be pretty hard work with some long hours depending on where your billet is on the Joint Staff, for some it isn't exactly an 'easy' shore billet that is 9-5 and home to the family for dinner every night. The commute can be a pain too depending on where you live and weekend work isn't unusual but isn't the norm unless your job is to be there off-hours. The work depends on your rank too, O-5/6's are a dime a dozen where even one star Generals and Admirals are pretty low on the totem pole. It can be a bit deflating for former CO's who go from commanding a squadron/ship/battalion of 300-600 people to now doing power points and staff papers between getting coffee for the boss.

But it can also be very rewarding too, it is interesting too see what goes on behind the curtain and understand that there actually is a method to the madness sometimes.......just sometimes ;). It can very maddening sometimes but also very enlightening to see how the Joint Staff works and why. And even a relatively junior person can have an impact on the staff, the higher ups often value someone's opinion who just came off an operational tour doing the very thing you are briefing just months before where they haven't done it in 10-20 years.

As with all jobs though it largely depends on your particular billet/job and your bosses though, they can be great or suck but more often it is a mix of somewhere in between.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
To echo Flash, a lot of the problem answering your question is that the jobs vary in levels of pain. A couple of buddies did protocol for the Chairman and loved it.
I know some guys who did J-5 writing the JSCP, NDS, NMS and the GEF and they would take unaccompanied orders to anywhere to get out of that shop.
One buddy did the NMCC and it was a regular schedule and he had a good idea what DOD was doing around the world and that job was very interesting.
Career-wise it's a plus, but there is the chance that it will be Dante's 7th level of hell for 2-3 years.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think the "bigger stalkier guys" go to "MCAS Mira Mar."

C'mon, he wasn't talking about the military base.

He was talking Spanglish. "Mira Mar" just means he got a "view of the sea." That's not hard in SoCal.

Really. I think you're just racist.

NCHopeful

I have another stupid question: What makes O-4s/LCDRs/DHs into Hinges? Is the nature of the position such that they're pressured to agree with everything the CO says?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I have another stupid question: What makes O-4s/LCDRs/DHs into Hinges? Is the nature of the position such that they're pressured to agree with everything the CO says?

Some people are naturally tools. Some people turn into tools when they get power. Some people turn into tool to conform with what is expected. Some people do not turn into tools.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's not a stupid question, therefore it doesn't belong on this thread... oh wait, you posted it, therefore it does belong here... oh never mind!:confused:
BzB

Nose

pilot
Wow - haven't been here in a while. Who is the idiot who started this thread?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Who's the idiot who resurrected this thread because he doesn't know how to click on page one to see who started it?