• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The NACES seat in pretty much every tactical jet in the inventory right now (prowler excluded) has dual leg restraints, that are connected to the seat and strapped on in the jet....if that is the kind of thing you are talking aout

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I wore them in both the F-4 and the F-14...slightly different configurations and leg placement...but, as jmcquate said...they snugged up your lower legs as the seat went up the rails both to prevent "flailing injuries" and impact with the instrument panel as you trusted your life to Martin-Baker. Interestingly, the only injury (if you could call it that) I experienced in my ejection was soreness in my calf muscles, and a nice "gouge" in the toes of both of my flight boots. Guess I didn't quite clear the panel as I'd hoped, and got a mild "hyperextension" of some leg muscles. Beat the alternative...

Need some "Old RIO" help here...but my memory chip says F-4 restraints remained in the cockpit, and were donned as you manned up. F-14 restraints were personally issued, and donned as you "geared up"...with just the "lower leg" clip to be attached as you manned up and strapped in. That could be ALL wrong...

Yes, if my fading memory serves, you cinched them up when you strapped in & had to "release" your rocket fittings later so you could move around in the seat (so as to see the A-4 locked in your six). The rocket fittings also had to be released, I believe, so you could extend your feet to reach the ICS & radio buttons on the floor when talking to your stick or using the radios. The leg retraints were definitely not part of the G-suit paraphernalia. FWIW.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The NACES seat in pretty much every tactical jet in the inventory right now (prowler excluded) has dual leg restraints, that are connected to the seat and strapped on in the jet....if that is the kind of thing you are talking aout
Back in the day, leg restraints were peculiar to Martin-Baker seats only. The only times I ever flew MB seats, were in the early F9F-8Ts (TF-9Js) 2 weeks per year, in RAG Inst. Squadrons. The A4s never had leg restraints in either the early Douglas seat, or the later RAPEC "0/0" rocket seat.:)
BzB

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Prowler crews don their leg restraints when suiting up and clip them into the jet. After taking them off, I'd hang them off my D ring.

-ea6bflyr ;)

jmcquate

Contributor
I wore them in both the F-4 and the F-14...slightly different configurations and leg placement...but, as jmcquate said...they snugged up your lower legs as the seat went up the rails both to prevent "flailing injuries" and impact with the instrument panel as you trusted your life to Martin-Baker. Interestingly, the only injury (if you could call it that) I experienced in my ejection was soreness in my calf muscles, and a nice "gouge" in the toes of both of my flight boots. Guess I didn't quite clear the panel as I'd hoped, and got a mild "hyperextension" of some leg muscles. Beat the alternative...

Need some "Old RIO" help here...but my memory chip says F-4 restraints remained in the cockpit, and were donned as you manned up. F-14 restraints were personally issued, and donned as you "geared up"...with just the "lower leg" clip to be attached as you manned up and strapped in. That could be ALL wrong...
Didn't know that you had an MB tie RO.

Treetop Flyer

pilot

No NACES seat in the Harrier, so we just have restraints that go on the calf, and they stay on the g-suit.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
It's called the SJU-4A and it's made by a company called Stencel which I think has been bought out by some other company. It has only 4 modes of operation and control functions that aren't quite as complicated as the NACES's, but simplicity has its virtues. In the worst case (low and slow mode) the whole shebang from handle to seat man separation is a little under 1.5 seconds.

FWIW, the British Harrier had a MB.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
The last time I was at swim qual, they told us that we have a larger parachute than the hornet seats, which means we get a lower rate of descent and less chance of breaking something after ejection. So there's that, I guess.