• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I guess *fun* is a relative term.....

:)
VP is known for many things, “fun” flying isn’t necessarily one of them ? But hand-flying it does sound -relatively- more fun than turning knobs on the P-8 automation panel..

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
The last ARP brief I got from the EP-3 dude he said “I’ll miss the bird, but I’m glad it’s finally going away before it kills someone.”

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
VP is known for many things, “fun” flying isn’t necessarily one of them ? But hand-flying it does sound -relatively- more fun than turning knobs on the P-8 automation panel..
We definitely embrace “having fun while flying” instead of “fun flying”. I’ve never laughed harder than those precious moments flying the entire X county’s coastline while 3P is making cinnamon roles, getting yelled at on guard in funny accents, or flying armed on top a sub with 8 other goons all under the age of 30. Wild stuff the government let’s you do.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

I mean, I do enjoy hand flying the 737. It flies pretty nicely, for a small dump truck. Landing it on a 6000 ft snowy/icy runway is cool, in terms of aviation things. The MCP and the FDs can go ahead and GTFO though. I did make a bet with a CA of mine on a long overnight that we would fly the whole next day without A/P, A/T, or FDs, and would use the manual Vspeed knob as it was intended. I think we managed to live up to 70% of that deal.....

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
We definitely embrace “having fun while flying” instead of “fun flying”. I’ve never laughed harder than those precious moments flying the entire X county’s coastline while 3P is making cinnamon roles, getting yelled at on guard in funny accents, or flying armed on top a sub with 8 other goons all under the age of 30. Wild stuff the government let’s you do.

I don't even understand what you are writing here, but my take is that you are a flying Cinnabon of 3Ps and someone plugged the shitter for good?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I mean, I do enjoy hand flying the 737. It flies pretty nicely, for a small dump truck. Landing it on a 6000 ft snowy/icy runway is cool, in terms of aviation things. The MCP and the FDs can go ahead and GTFO though. I did make a bet with a CA of mine on a long overnight that we would fly the whole next day without A/P, A/T, or FDs, and would use the manual Vspeed knob as it was intended. I think we managed to live up to 70% of that deal.....
I’m curious, what don’t you like about the MCP or the FDs? I’ve heard the 737 get dogged on more times than I can count from my airline buddies. I think it’s a great plane, but it’s also my only Boeing product I’ve flown so far. Purely curious.

Fallonflyr

pilot
I’m curious, what don’t you like about the MCP or the FDs? I’ve heard the 737 get dogged on more times than I can count from my airline buddies. I think it’s a great plane, but it’s also my only Boeing product I’ve flown so far. Purely curious.
It’s called the guppy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

The VP guys did have fun flying on top hunting subs in P-3's, we did stuff like that in a bounce birds a few times if the pilots got a wild hair and it was a lot more fun than I expected. Still a bus, but they flew it like it was a rental. :D

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

I'm just kidding, for a transport category airplane, they are fine. I'm just used to not having any of that stuff at all. But for what it is, it makes flying very simple. I would definitely want them, and VNAV, if flying a STAR into somewhere busy.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I’m going to start using that more
As a young JO, I was once told that "if it f*cks, flies, or floats; it's cheaper to rent". Generally true, but yes the rental does tend to not get the same love and care as something you have an equity stake in. ?

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
I wasn't sure what thread to post this is so here goes, for the last week big Navy has been doing what I assume is night currency landings at Kingsley Field with a P3. I thought P3s were all gone and P8 was the new kid.

Does the P3 live on?
You’re most likely seeing VQ pilots doing pilot proficiency training.

Random8145

So my understanding is turbulence can vibrate the plane and wreak havoc on the spine of the pilot over time. My question is, why don't they put some kind of shock absorbers in the seats? Like how you have hard seat mountain bikes (no suspension) and soft seat ones where there is a suspension/shock absorber system, why not have something that could do the same for pilots? Or would such a system just be far too difficult from an engineering perspective?