• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
wow, thanks, if it clears things up, my father graduated college in 1940 , he had his PPL through the CPT program at his college, further CPT classes got him his commercial and CFI ratings, he then was turned down by both the Navy and Army Air Corps pilot programs. (said he was knock kneed bad which he was) He got a job as a civilian instructor at an Army Air Corps base teaching Army studs to fly. The Navy was short IP's so he was eventually accepted, sworn in March 1942, did knife and fork school, primary, advanced, etc...and was winged in October 42, he was then sent to a primary base to be an IP, was an 0-2 for eleven days, then he finished the war as an 0-3 flying FM-2's in VC-8 on the CVE Guadalcanal when it captured U-505. War ended he was sent to the street, recalled for Korea, spent it playing golf around the Med on CV-42. Thanks again.
Happy to do it. My dad was a “plow back” (flight student to instructor) apparently because he had crazy radio navigation skills. He spent almost two years in NH-1’s before heading off to FM-2’s (VC) in the Pacific.

jakebacc

44 5/7/7; GPA: 3.46; Pro-Rec: Y SNFO; Class 02-23
Hey been doing some research and can’t seem to find a straight answer. Does a WSO in the super hornet or a EWO in a growler have final release controls for any weapons systems? If so which weapons systems? I know they laze targets for air to ground, but do they have final release? I’ve heard air to air final release for WSO (like an AMRAAM)

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Hey been doing some research and can’t seem to find a straight answer. Does a WSO in the super hornet or a EWO in a growler have final release controls for any weapons systems? If so which weapons systems? I know they laze targets for air to ground, but do they have final release? I’ve heard air to air final release for WSO (like an AMRAAM)
Sure do! Growler EWOs have weapons release for TRONS!!!!

But no, pilot is responsible for kinetic weapon employment (at least in the Growler).

Llarry

Stoopid question time -- I've had serious brain fade and have forgotten the term for the newfangled automated carrier landing system that is coming/here. Help?

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Stoopid question time -- I've had serious brain fade and have forgotten the term for the newfangled automated carrier landing system that is coming/here. Help?
Are you talking about Precision Landing Mode a.k.a. PLM?

It's been around for a few years now and is a separate system from the existing automatic carrier landing system (ACLS).

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Precision Landing Modes (PLM). In development, it was referred to as Magic Carpet, which was actually a made-to-fit acronym, one of the more ridiculous ones I saw during my time on active duty.

Llarry

So from what little I've been able to glean from google, PLM enables hands-off throttle on the approach but we're not talking about taking a short nap here, are we? And this is not the end of FCLP either, huh?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So from what little I've been able to glean from google, PLM enables hands-off throttle on the approach but we're not talking about taking a short nap here, are we? And this is not the end of FCLP either, huh?

It is still very much a hand flown approach. Generally you fly PLM with autothrottles selected, but it is possible to fly a PLM pass in manual throttles (though I’d submit it is dumb). The implementation is different, but it would be akin to flying in regular approach mode (CAS) with autothrottles.....which has been a thing since before the F/A-18. PLM just makes the hand flying part a little easier/more predictable. Like was said, it is completely different, and as far as i remember (i could totally be wrong/don’t have my NATOPS on me here), incompatible with ACLS auto land.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It is still very much a hand flown approach. Generally you fly PLM with autothrottles selected, but it is possible to fly a PLM pass in manual throttles (though I’d submit it is dumb). The implementation is different, but it would be akin to flying in regular approach mode (CAS) with autothrottles.....which has been a thing since before the F/A-18. PLM just makes the hand flying part a little easier/more predictable. Like was said, it is completely different, and as far as i remember (i could totally be wrong/don’t have my NATOPS on me here), incompatible with ACLS auto land.
How are PLM and ACLS approaches graded? Do those grades go into who is top hook at the end of a line period?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
How are PLM and ACLS approaches graded? Do those grades go into who is top hook at the end of a line period?

ACLS is a no count. So not graded. PLM is graded the same as any other pass. The graded ones are gonculated for top hook awards. I’ll just say there isn’t much variation in an all PLM airWing. So the GPA to get an award is a much higher bar. I remember seeing paddles get quite a bit more critical in grades after a line period or two, to attempt to mitigate this inflation. That is just one anecdote though.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
How does that work?

It is awkward. You still fly glide slope with the stick, but you have to hold on speed with the throttles. Me thinks you are a strange ranger if you intentionally do it; easy to get underpowered/on backside of power curve i imagine, though i have only tried this combination at the field, never at boat. That being said, PLM, in certain wind conditions, will give you a huge power/lift surge (uncommanded) in ATC right when you are crossing the ramp that can either be contained by 1) stuffing the nose (also awkward, plus the stick forces are different in DP, so it ”feels” like a whole lot), or 2) by clicking out of ATC, making a power off correction, and then catching it with a power back on correction right as you hit the wires. I preferred #2, but knew people who did #1 too. That being said, I also thought people who flew rate at the boat were weird, but I’m sure there is some benefit to this that went well over my blue collar ball flying head, and i never cared enough to ask because my passes were safe and i stopped.

Last edited:

VMO4

Several times recently I see TH-57's leaving the field next to me , KPIE (Clearwater) , usually pretty early , long overnight cross country?, I assume you don't cut the corner and just follow the beach back to Whiting?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Several times recently I see TH-57's leaving the field next to me , KPIE (Clearwater) , usually pretty early , long overnight cross country?, I assume you don't cut the corner and just follow the beach back to Whiting?

When I did it for my "solo" IFR cross-country, we got gas at TLH. From there you can head down to CTY and then to PIE.

TacticalTater

None
I wasn't sure what thread to post this is so here goes, for the last week big Navy has been doing what I assume is night currency landings at Kingsley Field with a P3. I thought P3s were all gone and P8 was the new kid.

Does the P3 live on?