• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hummers use a PQS like an Airman would use for EAWS. They call it CBATS. I call it extremely gay.

Of course, I was accused of being a liar when I told them in HSL we just had grade sheets for certain flights.

Not a large binder with 100 pages of signature sheets and a gradesheet for each flight.

Sent from a van down by the river via Tapatalk

I never heard "PQS" while I was HSL, just the ACTC stuff that started when I was a JO. I have witnessed HSM PQMs using the term "PQS." I threw up a little in my mouth, but at the end of the day, it's just the ACTC/2P stuff.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
ACTC sign offs and computer courseware (LORs and ICWs, respectively) are referred to as PQS collectively in HSC East Coast.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Prior to ACTC helos had a PQS book for H2P and HAC. It was titled and called PQS. Then ACTC was adopted and that took over.

MasterBates

The VAW one is literally 100 pages of sheets to get signatures.

Some of them are literally writing down the radios in each aircraft. And radars. Etc..

Oh, and god forbid you tell them the answer key they have is wrong.. Most of the ASW section was. It took 2 other HSL guys on staff to convince our WTI that the 60B did not dip. Ever.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What do Hornet guys do to achieve Level I, II, III, IV quals? Isn't your Tactics Program quals called....it's some flavor of PQS even if its not called a PQS....
The ACTC stuff TACAIR does is nothing like the PQS the VP folks do. Theirs are more about positional upgrading than our world is.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Prior to ACTC helos had a PQS book for H2P and HAC. It was titled and called PQS. Then ACTC was adopted and that took over.

That was not the case when I was coming up as a 2p and HAC on the HSL side (grade sheets only). Perhaps this is the one and ONLY indication that HS was more shoes with wings than...well....HSL. Don't worry, VP has and still does win the award, overall. I believe it's a points system.

MasterBates

I was a bit behind Gator, and east (the less fun coast) and it was just gradesheets and a HAC board.

VAW was gradesheets for every flight, PQS and boards for 2P, PC, CAPC and FCP.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
On the VQ side, we are stuck with a hybrid system that is pretty much still working like the old PQS model. The syllabus is divided into flights, with different topics covered and different things signed off. When they are "ready", they start actual flight events, culminating with a positional NATOPS check ride. Because we have had ACTC crammed up our asses, we also designate them an ACTC level along with the new positional qual. Of course, everything is done in SHARP now, for better or for worse.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I was a bit behind Gator, and east (the less fun coast) and it was just gradesheets and a HAC board.

VAW was gradesheets for every flight, PQS and boards for 2P, PC, CAPC and FCP.

You had boards for FCP? Wow.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You had boards for FCP? Wow.

QUICK!

You've run the Hovers and Forward 120s but while running the Forward 140s, your 4/pers stopped collecting. What do you do? WHAT DO YOU DO!!!!?!

You've run the vibes and everything is in. You shoot the auto and your chart says 115, but you get 118. Now what?

I'm going to need you to step outside for a minute....

MasterBates

The FCP board was the QAO and MO, and a pilot if they were both NFOs.

Mine was funny. I was the QAO, a NFO was the MO. My board was at the O-Club after the MO asked me if I knew how to do "all that funny pilot shit" and I said yep.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
We kind of do PQS stuff. Technically speaking you aren't actually a section lead once you complete SFWT level 3. However, once you complete level 3, generally you are given your section lead qual. There are usually sign-offs involved for the section lead qual. that have nothing to do with the level 3 flights and are generally admin oriented.

MasterBates

I understand the "why" behind PQS, ACTC, etc..

The problem is, I saw THREE versions of CBATS in my 2 years in an E-2 squadron. Each new iteration added more new shit. Very little had any value. Most of the changes/additions reeked of "I'm now in charge of this program, I must ADD SOMETHING TO JUSTIFY MY FITREP"

A lot of rote memorization, very little understanding of it. And a lot of that "understanding" of shit outside the AEW/ABCC stuff, was wrong. I knew for a fact that the ASW stuff was wrong, and knew where to go to prove I was right.

I'm sure the squadron WTI who wrote the section on the B-2, B-1 and B-52 has all sorts of info, and actually went to their pubs to get the "right" answers. :rolleyes: