• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Does TPS accept applicants with non-engineering degrees very often, or is it one of those once in a blue moon things?

Yes. . .but it depends on when you apply. For instance, if you're a P-3 NFO applying in the now to six months ago range. . .you can get in with a 2.6 GPA and an English degree. If you're a P-3 pilot with a 3.98 in Aerospace Engineering, you better have the Admiral's rec. Go ahead; ask how I know . . . ;)

jmcquate

Contributor
Flew the Scooter for 15 years & never laid eyes on a contraption like that. There was a standard 'boarding ladder' for the A-4 (shipboard & ashore). The top boarding platform plugged into a hole in the fuselage, port side just below the canopy rail. It was in no way, an integral part of the airframe.:)
BzB
That’s what I thought. Maybe it’s some sort of obscure maintenance thingy that was laying around in a Smithsonian warehouse.

OscarMyers

None
Yes. . .but it depends on when you apply. For instance, if you're a P-3 NFO applying in the now to six months ago range. . .you can get in with a 2.6 GPA and an English degree. If you're a P-3 pilot with a 3.98 in Aerospace Engineering, you better have the Admiral's rec. Go ahead; ask how I know . . . ;)

So your saying there's a chance.... :)

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
So your saying there's a chance.... :)
jim+carrey.jpg

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
This may sound...well, stupid, but then again, this seems to be the thread for it. If, for example, I were assigned to NAS Oceana, would I actually need to have my primary residence near there? I ask because my understanding is that I would basically deploy for 6-8 months, and then I'd have a few months off before the next deployment. So I wonder if I could live in Boston (hypothetically) and then just fly into Virginia when it's time to deploy. So is that possible, or do they want you nearby between deployments?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This may sound...well, stupid, but then again, this seems to be the thread for it. If, for example, I were assigned to NAS Oceana, would I actually need to have my primary residence near there? I ask because my understanding is that I would basically deploy for 6-8 months, and then I'd have a few months off before the next deployment. So I wonder if I could live in Boston (hypothetically) and then just fly into Virginia when it's time to deploy. So is that possible, or do they want you nearby between deployments?
No. You live where your squadron in stationed. What do you think you'll be doing when you're not deployed? Just hang out at home in Boston, then magically appear all trained and ready for deployment?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pat,
When you are not deployed, you are expected to work both in the air on on the ground. You will need a place to sleep every night...why not have an apartment or house near the base. The commute to Boston every night would really make a dent in your time off. While you may live near the base, you may chose to remain a "resident" of another state for tax purposes.

-ea6bflyr ;)