• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What's with that? I put in for a long weekend on e-Leave, but canceled it before the final approver gave it the go/no-go. It wasn't until a few months later when I went to route another leave chit that I saw I was charged for the leave that I had canceled.

If only there was some sort of document that tells you such things and that you could regularly check 1-4 weeks after you canceled your leave...

Pags

N/A
pilot
This thread makes me angry. A lot of the older guys are correct; only CO/XO can deny leave, DHs can only recommend disapproval. I've never seen a front office mandate leave, but I have seen people be encouraged to take leave to not lose leave due to the front office seeing losing leave the same as losing pay.

I've NEVER had a leave chit denied and the command has always managed to get everything done when I was away (granted I've usually asked for leave when I knew it was going to be approved). Have a I had to field a few phone calls? Sure, but nothing world ending, I'm just a LT for gods sake.

Having been a SWO (watch type, not boat type) and a Baby DH I've always been amazed when JOs come to me with use or lose but then bitch about how they're always at work and they hate it at the squadron. The world won't end and the squadron won't fall apart if you take a week off. Trust me, you've earned it.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't remember the screen exactly, but the recycle to member is a seperate button from the recommend no button.

Here is a snapshot of the approve/dissaprove screen. Recycle is a seperate choice.
index.php

Attachments

• eleavesample.jpg
    eleavesample.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 318

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Here is a snapshot of the approve/dissaprove screen. Recycle is a seperate choice.

I'm not sure if they've fixed it in NSIPS, but one thing I did run into was if you are the approval authority, but you need to elevate the authority up the chain (ie, the CO). The system didn't allow you to do that, so it required you as the DH to make a final call on paper, but I would still coordinate with the CO. Two examples when this would happen:

1. Someone was going on leave for more than <insert command policy number> days of leave and it needs front office approval.

2. Not recommending leave for a maintainer for the requested period. As Pags said, ultimately, it's the CO who can deny it, but the system wasn't set up for him to do that, so I would have to officially deny it but with the CO's blessing.

Neither really applies to O's though, since it (in my experience) goes through the front office anyway.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
NSIPS and NMCI are the Navy's way of reducing the admin burden (with loss of quality). So my question is what do the ITs and YNs do now that we are doing their job?

-ea6bflyr ;)

The other day, one of my peeps discovered a major pay problem. So he went to PSD to take care of it. PSD's response: "Oh, you have to talk to DFAS for that." Um, isn't that why you're here?

Kind of reminds of this:

Agent: I'm sorry, we have no mid-size available at the moment.

Jerry: I don't understand, I made a reservation, do you have my reservation?

Agent: Yes, we do, unfortunately we ran out of cars.

Jerry: But the reservation keeps the car here. That's why you have the
reservation.

Agent: I know why we have reservations.

Jerry: I don't think you do. ...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Never had a front office force me to take leave on a weekend to make some metric green, but did have numerous cases of leave denied, or canceled after approval, then losing the leave.

Biggest one- leave for a vacation to Hawaii canceled as I was AT THE AIRPORT. Manatee went to HI without me. The promise of "we will get you there after you FCF 424" disafuckingpeared once the AO saw what a last minute ticket to Hawaii cost.
That was your own dumbass fault for leaving your phone on and then answering said phone...especially with the advent of caller ID...thought you were smarter than that....;)
Pickle

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Th
NSIPS and NMCI are the Navy's way of reducing the admin burden (with loss of quality). So my question is what do the ITs and YNs do now that we are doing their job?

-ea6bflyr ;)
The same nothing they were doing before the system came out....along with the PS winners...

mid1510

What's the story behind rolling the sleeves of a flight suit? I see that the AF doesn't do it (which looks dumb)..just curious where that started?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wasn't the SDO phone. XO called me from a hijacked JO cell phone.

Reason why it always pays to know who is SDO that day, just in case the duty office decides to play the call from the cell phone game as opposed to the duty office phone lest you screen your calls.