• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Does the legacy tgt limiting have to do with old ecus? The 60S all had what HSL guys would call IDECUs but we just called them DECUs. The EDECUs have further increased the TGT limits so instead of IRP we have Mil Power. Also, the 60R/S have higher torque limits then the 60B.

The Bravo had all converted over to IDECUs (AFC-169) by ~2008. I would have thought that the EDECUs would have been the cause of the TGT/Tq issue, but I've flown Romeos that just had IDECUs and during single-engine-to-a-spot, you still could easily replace a tranny before Nr drooped. The motors are still 1.0+ (I did the math on one one day and it was 1.05), but still, I've flown Bravos with 1.0+ engines and bumping the tranny limit was never an issue. The SE Tq limits are still the same between the Bravo and Romeo, and I'm guessing it's the same for Sierra, no (135, 144, 150)?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Sierra single engine torque limits are 0-135, continuous, and 135-144 for 10 sec with a max of 144.

I've flown plenty of sierras with sub 1.0 motors (including one that was a head scratcher that ended up being a .82) but still have been Ng and torque limited in most areas.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Sierra single engine torque limits are 0-135, continuous, and 135-144 for 10 sec with a max of 144.

I've flown plenty of sierras with sub 1.0 motors (including one that was a head scratcher that ended up being a .82) but still have been Ng and torque limited in most areas.

There's been a lot of noise about inventing the inertial dampening field. Maybe Sikorsky finally cracked the code.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Where is RLSO to scream "NERDS!!!!" at this thread?
NERD!
He saves that for the P-3 bubbas
Mostly.
?

Or my other favorite: STUFR
?

The helo stuff was pretty interesting. I'm always amazed at how you steely eyed dare devils convince yourself, on a daily basis, that all of those moving parts are going to work! :) Besides, right after the F-16 rides in Fallon, the Romeos in my last airwing were the most fun to fly (during the day).