• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Yes, they measure all your limbs, but I don't think anything is "super strict". If you're not super tall or super short, you'll probably qualify for all aircraft.
Anthro’ed out of jets for my commissioning program flt phys. My femurs magically shortened by my API anthro when hook was in need of more bodies. Jet draft fears were real ?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I concur that hearing that a jet draft is bad thing is kind of mind boggling.

You should see the selection classes these days... I had to convince an on wing with a very high NSS that putting jets 3rd on his dream sheet was a bad idea if he REALLY didn't want it.

That being said, I would have killed to have gone jets. Hell, I'd start over again today for jets if it were an option, and I never discouraged a student from wanting anything.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
You should see the selection classes these days... I had to convince an on wing with a very high NSS that putting jets 3rd on his dream sheet was a bad idea if he REALLY didn't want it.

That being said, I would have killed to have gone jets. Hell, I'd start over again today for jets if it were an option, and I never discouraged a student from wanting anything.
I really disliked primary. That’s not to say I wasn’t good at it, but I just did not enjoy it at first and only slowly warmed up to flying. I wondered if I would feel the same way in VTJ and beyond. My thought was that if I wasn’t motivated to fly jets, I wouldn’t fully meet the challenges coming my way and would be in for a rough time.

Then I went to the HTs and also disliked it immensely—mostly due to the scheduling and my introduction to LAMPS weirdos. I also see now that primary is the way it is because helo and VP minutiae masters dominate VT ready rooms. If I knew that either path may not be fun until fleet aircraft, and if I knew that even the top of the mountain in HSM is still JV in CVW aviation, I would have been praying to the Kingsville gods for Intermediate.

Thank you for attending my soul-searching session.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I really disliked primary. That’s not to say I wasn’t good at it, but I just did not enjoy it at first and only slowly warmed up to flying. I wondered if I would feel the same way in VTJ and beyond. My thought was that if I wasn’t motivated to fly jets, I wouldn’t fully meet the challenges coming my way and would be in for a rough time.

Then I went to the HTs and also disliked it immensely—mostly due to the scheduling and my introduction to LAMPS weirdos. I also see now that primary is the way it is because helo and VP minutiae masters dominate VT ready rooms. If I knew that either path may not be fun until fleet aircraft, and if I knew that even the top of the mountain in HSM is still JV in CVW aviation, I would have been praying to the Kingsville gods for Intermediate.

Thank you for attending my soul-searching session.

There's always a warfare transition. -60 buddy of mine just got picked up for the transition to Growlers.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Speaking of transitions, now is the time. I have two friends that are flying T45s right now on an E-2--->VFA transition. Obviously the VFA community needs people and the chances of making O4/DH are high.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Yes, they measure all your limbs, but I don't think anything is "super strict". If you're not super tall or super short, you'll probably qualify for all aircraft.
If you mean strict like, near a cutoff, yeah they are strict as shit. I missed sitting height by 1/8” and they cx my SNA spot. You can find the old anthro tables online somewhere If you google hard enough, but the current numbers are kept under lock and key by the flight staff to recent people from trying to slouch and game the system...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you mean strict like, near a cutoff, yeah they are strict as shit. I missed sitting height by 1/8” and they cx my SNA spot. You can find the old anthro tables online somewhere If you google hard enough, but the current numbers are kept under lock and key by the flight staff to recent people from trying to slouch and game the system...
That seems dumb, as it’s less about the absolute numbers and more about whether or not you conform to the anthro device.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Speaking of transitions, now is the time. I have two friends that are flying T45s right now on an E-2--->VFA transition. Obviously the VFA community needs people and the chances of making O4/DH are high.

Anyone know if they are offering waivers for those who selected for O-4? Instruction says must not be... no word from detailer in about 2 weeks. Just want to know what all my options are.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
That seems dumb, as it’s less about the absolute numbers and more about whether or not you conform to the anthro device.

Yeah, and the measurements are so dependent on the person doing the measurements. About a year before I went to primary they were still doing fit checks for people who were close but when I went through they had stopped doing it. I can see the argument both ways, but if someone is out by on a few tenths of an inch, a fit check actually makes sense.