• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
To what extent does the coast a squadron is on determine their deployment location? For example, would a west coast squadron exclusively deploy to 7th fleet? Are all the 5th fleet deployments nowadays going to east coast squadrons?
Currently there are three east coast VFA squadrons assigned to west coast air wings. It changes frequently, but that's the current number. Of note, there are two west VFA coast squadrons currently deployed with an east coast boat and their HSC squadron is from San Diego. Once the F-35 arrives, expect Lemoore squadrons to augment both coasts. Additionally, all the Growlers are in Whidbey and support both coasts.

So, to answer your question, it depends. And it changes all the time.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
Yep, it may take years before someone recognizes the true inpact of getting rid of this Special Mission aircraft without replacement.
Congress recognized it years ago...even made it into the National Defense Authorization Act way back when (2011?), forcing the Navy to make sure that the EP-3 capability set was not lost without adequate replacement.

Didn't really do what it intended in the end...but it did receive pretty high level of attention at the time.

Huffs09

None
Currently there are three east coast VFA squadrons assigned to west coast air wings. It changes frequently, but that's the current number. Of note, there are two west VFA coast squadrons currently deployed with an east coast boat and their HSC squadron is from San Diego. Once the F-35 arrives, expect Lemoore squadrons to augment both coasts. Additionally, all the Growlers are in Whidbey and support both coasts.

So, to answer your question, it depends. And it changes all the time.

Thanks. It had just seemed like most of the Lemoore IPs I had talked to had only done WESTPACs so I was curious if getting stationed there effectively limited you to those types of deployments. I've only been in advanced a few weeks and probably didn't have a big enough sample size.

I would assume it's impossible to determine where and what type of deployment a squadron will do before you actually get there? Or is that information available at the FRS when you select?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Caveat Emptor. The MAP changes frequently. Good for a general sense, but I wouldn’t base any major decisions on what squadron or coast to hope for based upon it. Case in point, the map about to come out is going to have some significant changes to the Dec MAP.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Thanks. It had just seemed like most of the Lemoore IPs I had talked to had only done WESTPACs so I was curious if getting stationed there effectively limited you to those types of deployments. I've only been in advanced a few weeks and probably didn't have a big enough sample size.

I would assume it's impossible to determine where and what type of deployment a squadron will do before you actually get there? Or is that information available at the FRS when you select?
The only thing you can be sure of when you patch at the FRS is that the jets will be gray.

bukarest01

Is the Air Force's 390th Electronic Combat Squadron the only squadron to fly the EA-18G Growler, or does the Navy fly it as well?

just asking

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the Air Force's 390th Electronic Combat Squadron the only squadron to fly the EA-18G Growler, or does the Navy fly it as well?

just asking

The Growler is only a Navy aircraft, but there are Air Force exchange aircrew that come fly in Navy squadrons for a few years. They receive training at the Navy Fleet Replacement Squadron (VAQ-129) and then are assigned to expeditionary (land based) Navy squadrons for the remainder of their exchange tours. The 390th ECS is just an administrative unit that is responsible for the Air Force personnel, and doesn't own any aircraft.

bukarest01

The Growler is only a Navy aircraft, but there are Air Force exchange aircrew that come fly in Navy squadrons for a few years. They receive training at the Navy Fleet Replacement Squadron (VAQ-129) and then are assigned to expeditionary (land based) Navy squadrons for the remainder of their exchange tours. The 390th ECS is just an administrative unit that is responsible for the Air Force personnel, and doesn't own any aircraft.
Ok thanks for answering

My uncle, prior enlisted way back when, recently found out I got accepted for a NFO slot. He asked me if there were still super strict body measurement requirements for some aircraft?

Sitting height and “butt to knee” length were ones he mentioned when I asked him to clarify what he meant. I have no idea as to the answer, anyone know specifics about this?

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
My uncle, prior enlisted way back when, recently found out I got accepted for a NFO slot. He asked me if there were still super strict body measurement requirements for some aircraft?

Sitting height and “butt to knee” length were ones he mentioned when I asked him to clarify what he meant. I have no idea as to the answer, anyone know specifics about this?
Yep, ortho measurements. They’ll take your measurements during your flight physicals.