• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
I walk by the seniors Marines office humming the Marine Corps Hymn every now and then just in the off chance I need him to go to bat for me one day.

brownshoe

Contributor
No they weren’t.

And they looked just like prison uniforms for an Alabama chain gang! They were way outdated and needed to be replaced but instead of doing it right the Navy is now on its 3rd replacement.

I remember when this was taken. Ole Derf looks pretty comfortable to me in this picture.:) Corkyboy and I were on the line and BZB was probably upstairs in the hangar. I honestly can't remember but I'll bet there probably was a Beach Boys song on the radio in the line shack.:)

Attachments

• derf&427.jpg
    derf&427.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
The Army fielded fire resistant ACUs back in 2008- mostly for when a vehicle hit something that made it catch on fire (especially IEDs with an accelerant/gasoline). The material was pretty similar to flight suit nomex but I can't remember if it was exactly the same or not. I don't know how much a pants and shirt set, er... trousers and blouse, cost compared to a standard uniform.
Fire Resistant ACUs (FRACUs) are not the same as Aircrew ACUs (A2CUs). The former are modeled after standard ACUs in a fire resistant cloth. Button up crotch, strings for blousing into your boots, etc.. They are stiff, smelly and uncomfortable. The latter are the Army's flight suits, with a slightly different design. They have Velcro blousing straps and a shroud cutter pocket on the inside left thigh. Like a pickle suit, A2CUs seem to get more comfortable the more you wash them. FRACUs seem to stay like cardboard much longer.

Coota0

None
Fire Resistant ACUs (FRACUs) are not the same as Aircrew ACUs (A2CUs). The former are modeled after standard ACUs in a fire resistant cloth. Button up crotch, strings for blousing into your boots, etc.. They are stiff, smelly and uncomfortable. The latter are the Army's flight suits, with a slightly different design. They have Velcro blousing straps and a shroud cutter pocket on the inside left thigh. Like a pickle suit, A2CUs seem to get more comfortable the more you wash them. FRACUs seem to stay like cardboard much longer.
Once they turn pink they are perfect

Coota0

None
The ACU pattern was developed for the soldier, not the Army. This photo demonstrates how the uniform met its goal. View attachment 17526

The Navy sailor also wanted a way to "blend in". Photo two clearly shows that the NWU met its goal.
View attachment 17527
On the serious side, the Army does have camo flight suits in both the ACU and OCP pattern. We haven't worn green zoom suits since around 2008. It's ore about looking like everyone else in the Army than it is about the camo aspect.

Until there is a formation of any type then you better have on ACUs

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
If you are an air winger who happens to wander onto a grunt base you can expect it to happen

Hah bullshit. Been on every major Marine grunt base and never had a clown sock check me. If so, I'd properly tell him to pound sand.

3p50xkx.jpg

I just wish the Marines would let their pilots wear the same FROG gear that the grunts wear when it's hot out. Nomex isn't great in hot weather.

Also pretty sure two-piece gear authorized by NAVAIR is fine but is only acquired via open purchase. Not the normal regularly scheduled supply chains. I.e. It must be specifically ordered and acquired at the cost of squadron ALSS funds. Also, it's expensive as hell and outfitting a squadron will suck up funds for other more pressing items. So unless you're deploying, it's highly unlikely you'll get it. ....or your an Osprey squadron then you get all the shit you want. So there's that.

jmcquate

Contributor
Couldn't agree more Hotdogs. Is this evan a real thing (except for some ass-hat gunny being a jackass). Hell, I use to wear women's knee high hose on forced marches, granted with the green stuff over it........but still.