• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Questions about Naval Aviation (Part 3)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We've had French squadrons embarked on our carriers and lots of cross decking on the CDG for various training/CQ periods.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Brits had (have?) that "Seedcorn" project to keep various warfare proficiencies in the RAF/FAA by embedding some of their guys with other services while developing replacements for the airplanes they've decommmed.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Brits had (have?) that "Seedcorn" project to keep various warfare proficiencies in the RAF/FAA by embedding some of their guys with other services while developing replacements for the airplanes they've decommmed.

Seedcorn is specific to MPA, they have folks with the US, NZ, Canada and Australia flying P-3's and P-8's. There 33 in the program to start with and a mix of all types of aircrew.

Another possible option for them is recruiting experienced Commonwealth folks, they can move between forces pretty easily with few if any citizenship issues often keeping their rank and buying into the retirement systems. I met a pair of former Nimrod types flying CP-140's for Canada now a little while ago, both longtime enlisted aircrew that basically picked up in the RCAF where they left off in the RAF without too much trouble.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seedcorn. This past year's most annoying buzzword. Flag Officers who manage to slip it deftly into their remarks on our current manning challenges can barely contain themselves. It's a great metaphor... if you work at Monsanto.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seedcorn. This past year's most annoying buzzword. Flag Officers who manage to slip it deftly into their remarks on our current manning challenges can barely contain themselves. It's a great metaphor... if you work at Monsanto.

Why would our flag offices be talking about it? As some sort of example, of what?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone may have mentioned it, but the Aussies have been hiring for awhile...;)

Did you notice the part about it possibly affecting your citizenship, and the fact they even call out the US specifically in that section? A former CO of mine did a PEP tour there and left active duty after that tour, the only thing that stopped him from joining in the RAAF was the citizenship issue when the embassy told him he would lose it. A few have joined since then and kept their citizenship, the Air Force Times profiled one a few years ago, but it ain't easy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you work for the RAAF as a civilian, citizenship is a non issue, but it probably won't be a flying gig.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
I have a close friend who got out of the US Navy and joined the Royal New Zealand Air Force as a P-3 pilot. He Flew for the RNZAF for 2 years before leaving and flying in the US Coast Guard. He mentioned that his security clearance coming back in was a little extra effort but he is still a US citizen.He left the Coast Guard a few years ago and now flies for United.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a close friend who got out of the US Navy and joined the Royal New Zealand Air Force as a P-3 pilot. He Flew for the RNZAF for 2 years before leaving and flying in the US Coast Guard. He mentioned that his security clearance coming back in was a little extra effort but he is still a US citizen.He left the Coast Guard a few years ago and now flies for United.

There was a member here a while ago who tried to do the same but ended up flying as a civilian instructor with them instead due to the citizenship issue, I guess it is hit or miss.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Why would our flag offices be talking about it? As some sort of example, of what?

Let me guess, the maintenance qualification continuum? My words, as I'm blanking on what the actual program is called at the moment.