• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

STUPID questions about life as a Naval Flight Officer (NFO)

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I thought the back end was Air Force types?

From the TACAMO web site.

"Aircrews normally consist of 14 to 16 members including three pilots, two naval flight officers and 10 Sailors..."

For some missions a joint (all services) Battle Staff is added to the basic crew which includes the crew above, an Information Systems Officer and team, an Airborne Emergency Action Officer (an Admiral or General officer), an Intelligence Officer, Meteorologist, and an Airborne Battle Operations Team.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
*sigh* still in 30 and already starting the bashing huh? :icon_rage

Been bashing since 2004 when I was wearing this on my sleeve:

180px-Rating_Badge_AW.jpg

Why stop now?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the back end was Air Force types?

"Aircrews normally consist of 14 to 16 members including three pilots, two naval flight officers and 10 Sailors..."

For some missions a joint (all services) Battle Staff is added to the basic crew which includes the crew above, an Information Systems Officer and team, an Airborne Emergency Action Officer (an Admiral or General officer), an Intelligence Officer, Meteorologist, and an Airborne Battle Operations Team.

Like FlyBoyd says, there are NFO's who are the COMMO's in the back and used to be a Navigator in the cockpit, I think they got rid of them with the cockpit upgrade though. In addition to the Navy crew they sometimes carry a Battle Staff as part of the Looking Glass mission, separate from the Navy crew. I have heard several interesting stories about the interaction between the crew and the battle staff, which has a FO/GO on it.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
. . . . . oh, you're gonna be on of those prior AW's huh ??? ;)
Yes, he most definitely IS on of those priors. I bet when he starts flying with his crew, that he won't be able to resist the temptation to sit back down in the SS3 position and play with the scope. "Flight, no problem, SS3 wasn't at his seat, but I can get a look at weather, nope your good"... junior SS3 will wander back with hotpocket in hand... "Sir, WTF are you doing at my station...".... pickle "Well back in the day...."... :)

Pickle, we only hurt the ones we "love"... :D

robav8r

None
Contributor
Yes, he most definitely IS on of those priors. I bet when he starts flying with his crew, that he won't be able to resist the temptation to sit back down in the SS3 position and play with the scope. "Flight, no problem, SS3 wasn't at his seat, but I can get a look at weather, nope your good"... junior SS3 will wander back with hotpocket in hand... "Sir, WTF are you doing at my station...".... pickle "Well back in the day...."... :)

. . . . . . . you know, it IS easy to see those that haven't truly made the transition yet, isn't it ???

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

You're probably right, just don't expect to see me take out the pisser any time soon...

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor

Like FlyBoyd says, there are NFO's who are the COMMO's in the back and used to be a Navigator in the cockpit, I think they got rid of them with the cockpit upgrade though. In addition to the Navy crew they sometimes carry a Battle Staff as part of the Looking Glass mission, separate from the Navy crew. I have heard several interesting stories about the interaction between the crew and the battle staff, which has a FO/GO on it.

Cool, it's been 7 1/2 years since I worked on the E6; I'm not sure what all changes have taken place. Perhaps Monday I'll wonder over to the one on the ramp and talk to the sailors that are here doing testing on the upgrades.

martbaker

Ex EC-130 NFO here. VQ-4 TACAMO Nav,Aco,MC.

Mission now is in the E6, no nav. ACO is def more of a commo and def all secret and top secret. The missions back then ran anywhere from 20-35 days gone and about the same home.

If your an instructor or evaluator then that goes way up on the gone side. I was the Nav Evaluator and Instructor my last 16 months and was gone 14 of those in total.