• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Am I going to have to be the d!ck and say that if you're the kind of person that has phobias of everyday-type things, you might not be cut out for the military? It's one thing to be afraid of carnies (with their little hands) and nuclear war--those are things you can generally get by without. Being afraid of flying, control freak or not, is probably not a good thing. Even in flight training, you will be flown around without having the sticks. Being an observer in helo BI/RI comes to mind.

Later on, you will have to take comair enroute to TAD. Your subordinates will be taken aback if you are freaking out about taking a trip. Moreover, if you can't master an irrational fear, how can you conquer some legitimate fears you will encounter while flying, fighting, driving a ship, whatever, while in the military?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Am I going to have to be the d!ck and say that if you're the kind of person that has phobias of everyday-type things, you might not be cut out for the military? It's one thing to be afraid of carnies (with their little hands) and nuclear war--those are things you can generally get by without. Being afraid of flying, control freak or not, is probably not a good thing. Even in flight training, you will be flown around without having the sticks. Being an observer in helo BI/RI comes to mind.

Later on, you will have to take comair enroute to TAD. Your subordinates will be taken aback if you are freaking out about taking a trip. Moreover, if you can't master an irrational fear, how can you conquer some legitimate fears you will encounter while flying, fighting, driving a ship, whatever, while in the military?

Concur. Plus, diagnosable disorders (of which specific phobias are one) are CD from NOMI's perspective and an aviation related phobia would likely place you in the "not aeronautically adapted" category. Aviation isn't for everyone, and just because it might be your dream, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Brett

mike172

GO NAVY
Well first off, I made the first part of my journey yay! Second I don't have everyday phobias and fears, Yes I have anxiety about flying but once I get up there I am always fine, not like passengers have to restrain me. I am afraid of commercial flying not flying in general, and I will of course endeavor to prove to myself I can handle aviation before I sign up to be a Naval Pilot. thank you for all your replies thus far.

Pitchlock

pilot
Actually the scariest thing for you may be the physicals. If you don't like unknown people flying you around you most certainly won't like unknown corpsman poking you with needles, giving you government drugs and flight surgeons putting their fingers in places your mother won't touch.

My point is that you are in the Navy first and you are a pilot second.

If I were 17 again, I would join again. The thing about the military is that its a young man's game. A 40+ year old can still scuba dive, parachute, fly planes etc... But they can never have been a 26 yr old plane commander if they did't join the military young. No amount of civilian success or money can turn that clock back.

mike172

GO NAVY
ahaha my bad. It was a quick post.

Admins can probably close this thread if they wish, I don't want to be accused of having a worthless thread:icon_mi_1

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Admins can probably close this thread if they wish, I don't want to be accused of having a worthless thread:icon_mi_1

That's a good goal man. Once you've fallen down the slippery slope that I have, it's tough to climb back up.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.