• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike172

GO NAVY
OK so everyone is going to think I am an idiot for wanting to pursue a career in Naval Aviation when you hear this but nonetheless here I go.

I hate flying, I am more afraid of flying than anything else, I always have been. Now that being said I have been on more flights than most people I know, Long flights, short flights, jets, props, Ive done it all, and yet I am still terrified of flying commercial aviation. I don't know what to do. I know the statistics, and I can rationalize, but I still get anxiety weeks before every time I know I have to fly.

I guess my question is am I being foolish in thinking I can handle a career flying for the navy? I guess no one can answer that but me. I think my fear stems more from the circumstances that flying commercial brings, rather than the actual act of flying. I don't know its just really annoying that I have this paranoia and fear, that every time I get on a plane I'm going to crash and die... I guess I'm looking for insight or help in getting over this fear. Thanks for your responses.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Have you actually ever flown a plane or were you just a passenger?

I suggest a few flight lessons to see how being in control make you feel. If you're still afraid then, maybe you better think about another Navy career path.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I think you are not quite articulating something here, but STILL, what on Earth inspired you to be a pilot?

You hate being a passenger? Does this happen to you at all when you get driven around?

Have you ever been at the controls of an aircraft? How did you feel then?

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
OK so everyone is going to think I am an idiot for wanting to pursue a career in Naval Aviation when you hear this but nonetheless here I go.

I hate flying, I am more afraid of flying than anything else, I always have been. Now that being said I have been on more flights than most people I know, Long flights, short flights, jets, props, Ive done it all, and yet I am still terrified of flying commercial aviation. I don't know what to do. I know the statistics, and I can rationalize, but I still get anxiety weeks before every time I know I have to fly.

I guess my question is am I being foolish in thinking I can handle a career flying for the navy? I guess no one can answer that but me. I think my fear stems more from the circumstances that flying commercial brings, rather than the actual act of flying. I don't know its just really annoying that I have this paranoia and fear, that every time I get on a plane I'm going to crash and die... I guess I'm looking for insight or help in getting over this fear. Thanks for your responses.
frank1.jpg

[laughing] You're... you're crazy man. I like you, but you're crazy.

But seriously man, this is one of the most off the wall things I've ever read on the site. I was worried I might have the same problem you are worried about. I took 2 flying lessons to see how I'd like it and I had a blast.

mike172

GO NAVY
I have never been at the controls, but it is definitely something I want to try. I get scared before having to go up, like weeks in advance, I don't like freak out on the plane or anything but I just don't know. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm on a plane with a bunch of people I don't know. With some guys up front who I don't know driving this thing, this plane is maintained somewhere I don't know, by people I don't know, and all these crazy passengers have been screened by a bunch of people I don't know. I think my fear is more in the situation I am put in rather than the actual act of flying around, I should get in the pilot seat and see how I feel then. Good advise.

LOL, CaptainRon, thats cool, how did you get over your fear? My problem is how ever much I rationalize I am still afraid that this will be the flight that crashes and burns...

robav8r

None
Contributor
Without a doubt, the Navy produces the very best aviators and aviation professionals. Yes, I'm a bit biased, but you would be hard pressed to find a better trained, more capable group of folks. So, you should take comfort that as far as a career in aviation goes, you couldn't go wrong with wanting to be in the Navy. Also, a career in Naval Aviation brings incredible opportunity to see and do many personally & professionally challenging things.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have never been at the controls, but it is definitely something I want to try. I get scared before having to go up, like weeks in advance, I don't like freak out on the plane or anything but I just don't know. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm on a plane with a bunch of people I don't know. With some guys up front who I don't know driving this thing, this plane is maintained somewhere I don't know, by people I don't know, and all these crazy passengers have been screened by a bunch of people I don't know. I think my fear is more in the situation I am put in rather than the actual act of flying around, I should get in the pilot seat and see how I feel then. Good advise.

You're a control freak.

Go take a flight lesson, seriously. Find out NOW if you can handle flying an aircraft, as opposed to being a passenger. Don't waste the Navy's time and money for them to find out...

llc21

I don't know if this will help at all, but I too have the same problem, although I do not wish to be a pilot. I can't sleep days before flying. I'm terrified at the mere thought of someone I don't know controlling the plane I'm in. I am however more comfortable flying with people I know. So maybe that would be the case for you. you could be a "control freak". So maybe some lessons could help like everyone else has mentioned, or flying with someone you know personally to see if you feel more comfortable.

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
It is totally different when you or someone you know is driving the airplane. Plus, once you start to understand what is going on, the comfort level increases. I think it is pretty common to feel uneasy about riding in something that somebody else is driving. I still don't feel 100% comfortable riding in an airliner either.

MasterBates

I was scared of heights, but I got over it real quick with a flight in the front of a JetRanger. I HATED flying as a kid, but thought being a pilot was cool.

I was one of those kids that spend afternoons riding my bike to the airport to watch airplanes fly by, but was afraid of standing on the roof of the barn to fix shingles.

My dad spent $25 on a JetRanger flight for me when I was 11 at the Carver Bicentennial Festival, and the treetop level flight got me over my fear of heights real quick.

Fear is the mindkiller. Face your fear.

thull

here's a thought. don't know what fuels your desire to fly, but I for one like most pilots have always simply loved airplanes. I started drawing and designing airplanes (to the best of my ability:)) as soon as I could draw. I used to build and fly model airplanes a lot. Watching and studying flight, and getting to the point of knowing logically and intuitively how an airplane flies, and being able to fully understand why the plane you are in is so inherently stable and MEANT to be in the air, with you in it...you might feel a little better about flight itself. Love flying first, be a pilot second. If you want to be a pilot for other reasons, like for social stature or whatever, you're probably in it for the wrong reason.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Hehe, an add on story that may help.

I am originally from Florida and I was/am terrified of the water! Before joining the Navy I was so scared of the water (pools, oceans, bays, lakes, etc) that I was terrified to cross a long bridge (the Sunshine Skyway scares the **** out of me, espcially the old ricketty one), and I never went on a boat or ship because it may leave.

Well, the Navy recruiter offered me money and power, so I accepted. I learned to tread water in bootcamp, rationalizing that since there were 2 SEALs and 4 Divers in the pool, I probabl wouldn't drown, I jumped off the platform.

I still don't go in the deep end of a pool, and I prefer to stand on the shoreline instead of wading in, but I had a successful career on three ships in both oceans, and I'm in the reserves.

Bottomline, you can overcome your fear if you want it bad enough and trust those who can help.

mike172

GO NAVY
I do feel better, and its nice to see i'm not the only one who has been afraid. There is always that voice in the back of my mind "this could be the unlucky flight."

Then again that statement could be applied to anything so I guess I should just man up, and go on vacation...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.