• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Study Time at Flight School vs. TBS

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
I just wanted to see how much study time at Flight School you get as compared to TBS. I am at TBS right now, Charlie Company, and we hardly get any study time because it is very physical and they are looking for a lot of combat arms MOS's for the ground contracts. So is there more time, less time, or about the same? Thank you. :)

Rg9

pilot
I never went to TBS, but Flight School is much more mentally than physically challenging. To be honest, I PT maybe once a week (yeah, I know, it's awful). Besides the swimming in API, there is no required PT. The physical challenge is more related to how it affects your alertness and focus (i.e., PT in order to increase both).

Along those lines, you'll have plenty of time "off" during flight school, but you'll need a lot of it to study. It depends how quick you pick things up.

I hope this helps.

usmcecho4

pilot
If you do Navy training you will have approx 20 hours a day to yourself to study/drink/pt/chase tail etc. If you do AF training you have 12 hours a day to yourself (or so I have heard).

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
You will have more time to study down here for sure. However, you will be required to take in a lot more information AND retain what you have learned. For me the studying came in large waves. I would be buried in my pubs for two weeks at a time, and then just touch up on stuff for a few weeks, then back into the books as you move on to something new. TBS was a cram fest, IMO. However, I will never forget that everything is METT-T dependent ... :)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure this still holds true.

You will have much more time to study in all phases of flight school.

The requirement to learn more, faster, is much greater in flight school than TBS.

In TBS your days were scheduled for you. In flight school, you will have required events, such as classes, flights, etc, but other than that, your time is your own--you just have to manage it successfully in order to succeed in briefs, tests, etc.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
Thank you for the information. It gives me a good sense of things. I figured that the academics would be harder, but was curious if you have the time to deal with it. I am a learner that likes to spend time reading the material, and so long as I have the time I will take it. TBS is kind of an @$$ kicker because they push you all the way around - physically, academically, and leadership wise. I figure it is all good, because it will send me into flight school with the right mindset. I still would rather hit the gym and go running on my own then do the PT sessions we have been doing. I know talking to Alpha and Bravo guys that we have been doing quite a bit, and we have freaked out the Delta guy's because they think they will have it just as tough as we do. I heard from several Captains here that what makes Charlie Company so special is that we make full use of the summer, which means longer days on FEX's so we do more assaults, and we get a full load of infantry contracts, where as other companies split them up between two. It is still a very interesting time, but I am definately looking forward to graduation. AHhh, 3 more months. :)

usmcecho4

pilot
My SPC told us that what makes C Co so different/less fun is that they are mostly OCC people. I know that if I went to TBS direct from OCS I would have been very different as well. Good luck and it gets much better.

Semper Fi,
usmcecho4

greenflash

pilot
If you need structure and want to hang out with a bunch of baby blue babysat zoomies in nowhere Oklahoma, that's your prerogative. You know what you need to learn. Your schedule in Pcola or Corpus primary looks like this:
Arrive 1 hour prior to brief (like a good Marine)
Brief and fly 1-4 hours
Debrief 30 min to 1 hour
Unload, drink beer check the schedule and see if you're flying the next
day.

The biggest thing you have to have to succeed is self discipline and self awareness of how you learn. The next thing you'll need is knowing when to not study. If your on hold or it's Friday, this is the time to drink beer and find a nice looking girl on vacation to be totally in love with for one night.
Practice memorizing lists of things just to get in the habit, it doesn't matter what it is but the mental workout will pay in spades throughout your career.
Finally, don't let the grunts get you! Protect your eyes and the rest of your body, the initial physical can kick your a$$ and injuries will keep you from flying or put you on hold.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
"B.I.G.M.A.C." worked for me at TBS.

...But now I'm wishing that I paid attention a whole hell of a lot more and actually retained stuff from there. Turns out, if you're a dumbass (like me) and wind up getting a new MOS, you'll actually need some of those knowledges. But I wouldn't spend 0.001% of the time I spent in flight school studying for TBS. If you pay attention in the classes and ask a couple intelligent questions (for the love of GOD, do that shit out of the class, offline, and either with your fellow Lt's or your SPC) if you don't get something, you'll retain enough down the road.

If for no other reason than not totally showing your ass at an EWS seminar class, it's worth it.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I think the proper term is FIGMAC, f-it I got my air contract. I studied pretty much zero at TBS and finished like 43rd, which makes me wonder what the fruck the other 200 people that were going to be using this stuff for the next 4 years were doing.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I think the proper term is FIGMAC, f-it I got my air contract. I studied pretty much zero at TBS and finished like 43rd, which makes me wonder what the fruck the other 200 people that were going to be using this stuff for the next 4 years were doing.

Shootin pool in the Hawk with me... :D

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
FIGMAC is appropriate, unless dealing with my SPC. He seemed to like "BITCH, I got my air contract," but he was cooler than most.