• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Students going to Tailhook

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
So, for a someone who's never been, where do you go Friday night?
Will folks be going to the Fallon Airshow Friday? Or just start drinking in Reno at noon?

Thursday night: a no-host cocktail party (buy your own drinks...)
Friday night: The "Bug" Roach Mixer. You buy a ticket that gets you a few drinks. This is the "must attend" event of Tailhook. Flight suits/Shit-Hots are encouraged and O-1s through O-10s are rubbing shoulders and swapping lies. Plus Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding (used to be Newport News Shipbuilding) has their margarita machine cranked up and the swag from the booths are the best for that night. Boeing passes out T-shirts... Pratt & Whitney has glass beer mugs. Good times...
Saturday afternoon is the Flag Panel. You get to go up to a microphone and ask questions of the movers and shakers... including the Air Boss (VADM Kilcline), AirLant, CNATRA, CNAVRES, the Marine Corps head of aviation, .... well, you get the idea.
Saturday night is the banquet. Usually some of the industry folks have un-used tickets for JOs for the event. The Nugget serves a great meal considering how many folks are there.
Plus the admins scattered around the hotel. The Attack folks (A-4 and A-6 associations), Topgun (it's their 40th anniversary... so it'll be BIG), the Viking folks (S-3 types), plus others. In addition, there are several reunion groups (VF/VFA-143, VF-92, VF-51 to name a few).

Go to the Tailhook Website for much more info

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
So I guess this is a stupid question ... but I assume we do need to register on the website if we are active duty?

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
So I guess this is a stupid question ... but I assume we do need to register on the website if we are active duty?

You can register once you get there, but to save time, register ahead of time.

Your choice... either wait in line and then fill out the paperwork, pay and wait on them to print your nametag

or...

Just walk over to the "already registered" booth and pick up your Lockheed Martin goodie bag with all your stuff in it and your nametag already in it.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
What's in the goodie bag?

So should I bring an extra empty luggage bag for all the free crap we get?

The Lock-Mart bag that things are stuffed in are nice. The last couple of years they are more like a gym bag.
There's usually a chit to get your Newport News T-Shirt (except now, I guess it's Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding). For a few years it was a black T-shirt with something like: "90,000 tons of Diplomacy" on it, but last year it was a hideous puke green shirt... probably would keep you safe from being hit by cars while you're doing PT, though.
There's also a couple of koozies (beer can holders), a copy of Proceedings, etc... some years there has been a Tailhook challenge coin. Each year is different.

Some of the swag given away on the floor are the before-mentioned P&W mugs, flash drives, weapon systems patches, decals, pens and pencils, T-shirts (Boeing and Rolls-Royce had nice ones last year), ... the usual convention swag stuff. Most of the big booths also have giveaway plastic bags to help carry the stuff.

HuggyU2

None
So if we can only get up there for Friday night, do we need to register for the whole event? Or can we just get a ticket for the Bug Roach mixer?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You just need to have a flightsuit for the mixer. There is no "carding" and everyone is there to have a good time.

Did we finalize a plan for an AW get together on Thursday?

-from my Skipper's boondoggle in Dallas,
Timbo

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Did we finalize a plan for an AW get together on Thursday?

AW get-together at Gabe's deli on the lower level of the Nugget Hotel (take the stairs or escalator down from the lobby), Thursday afternoon (Sept 10) at 1700. Go through the line and sit in the Sports Book area just outside of the deli. I understand that not everyone will be there on Thursday night, but...
Clicky

I'm also trying to secure a table to gather around during the Bug Roach Mixer on Friday night. They usually have some set up in The Rose Ballroom, just off the main area. I'll have a sign made up and will do my best to place on one of the tables to "reserve" it for us.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Oh.... one more thing.

You can legally register yourself and have another JO go in with you as your "guest"

Therefore scoring a two-for-one... one registration fee... two people.

You'll have to pay for the ticketed events (Bug Roach mixer, Awards Lunch, Banquet...), but at least you'll save the $20 for an active duty registration. (Or look at it this way... it'll be $10 each instead of $20 each)

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
So if we can only get up there for Friday night, do we need to register for the whole event? Or can we just get a ticket for the Bug Roach mixer?

You have to be registered to get a Bug Roach ticket/drink tickets (and wristband), but it's only $20 for active-duty registering... plus you get the sweet Lock-Mart sports bag and the goodies within.

Or... see above posts about going in with someone.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Did we ever finalize a Thursday meet up? I'll be coming in on the NALO.