• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stress Fracture Cross Training

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Doc(s),

I've had shin pain from running for the last 6 weeks or so. I finally made it in to see the doc today. He checked me out and had x-rays taken. He said that they showed signs of an impending stress fracture. I think he mentioned something about the outer portion of the bone thickening up from stress? I'm not sure---this medical stuff is all foreign to me. He told me to not run for two weeks and highly recommended swimming to cross train. I'm training specifically for running, and swimming does very little to condition me for running.

I've always used cycling as my primary form of cross training for running, with exceptional results. Is cycling an acceptable form of cross training in this situation, or will it put too much stress on my tibia?

Thanks in advance!

srqwho

pilot
I don't know the answer to any of your questions, BUT my fiance was given similar news (pre-stress fracture) about a bone in her foot and she rode her road bike without issue for a few weeks before putting the running shoes back on. She can run now without issue and had no setbacks b/c of the bike riding. Also, you may want to consider some orthotics if you don't use them already. I use superfeet (the green ones) and LOVE them.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I've been using the same orthotics for the last 8 years. I think that might have been a contributing factor in this. I'm getting fitted for new ones next week.

srqwho

pilot
I'm assuming that you didn't see a podiatrist for the tibia pain, but I think they are the ones who mold your feet for orthotics... if you decide to go that route and get new ones. I am not a doctor, but my fiance would ice the area as well and this seemed to help with the inflamation and pain, but again talk with your doc first. Also, when I am coming off of a running injury I normally try and run trails or on the beach and less on the road to ease the impact a bit.

Zissou

Banned
"impending stress fracture"?

Sounds alot like shin splints. FIlle dixie cups with water, freeze. All day long rub along the shin 20 minutes on, 20 off. STOP RUNNING for two weeks. Motrin..

And let's hope a more qualified expert seess this thread, I'de hate to be wrong on this.

V/R Z

Lobster

zizzou's advice sounds good, and its never a bad thing to switch up the work outs, I understand your need and want to run but going for a swim one day then a bike ride another, or jumping on the elliptical doesn't ever hurt, you can split up the days you run with things like that, most spin classes are unreal cardio work outs, and don't over do it after the two weeks make sure you ease back into it.

Bevo16

pilot
I had shin splints for 10 years before getting custom fit orthotics. They fixed it right up.

Zissou's dixie cup ice method is great as well. They had them in our training room in college, and players with shin splints would rub ice on their shins for 30 minutes during position meetings before practice. It's a great fix. Rest helps too. If you don't want to take two full weeks off, find something low impact to do. The elliptical trainer is a good alternative.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Beside the old orthos, how old are your running shoes? I got a bad case of shin splints and I stopped running for two weeks and bought a new pair of go-fasters...problem gone. Just a thought.

-ea6bflyr ;)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
They're quite new. They're about 7 weeks old and only have about 70-75mi on them. Asics 2130's. I've been using Asics for about 9 years now. I started with the DS Trainer but had to move to the 20/21 series after I put some muscle on my little bitch frame.

possumfest

I'm a Jan09 Marine candidate who has struggled with a shin splint in one leg for a long time. I have finally moved beyond most of the shin pain due to regular icing/compressing/90degree elevation after runs, and I use the Adidas Adistar running shoe. I have flat feet and it is bulkier than the beast.. I'm big, 6'2 205, and it holds up well and better than anything I have run on in the past. Try it on at a running store, in addition, like the above guy said, look into custom orthotics. They help.
The hardest part of the running game is to not run too far, too fast. It takes a long time to find a comfortable distance, and then slowly add 10% per week.
However, I am still concerned about the mileage at OCC. Anyone know how much they run? I hear conflicting reports, I am just hoping to get up to 20 miles a week. My pft is decent at 278 but i'm nervous about concrete running, etc.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
It does sound like shin splints.

Sometimes people have chronic form problems that cause recurring injuries like this, even though they may use proper footwear. It's not a bad idea to have a trainer check your form for things like locked knees etc, which may contribute to shock related injuries. (You didn't say how long you've been a runner.) Also, warming up more may be in order.

Rowing, bike riding, swimmimg, boxing are all good alternative exercises.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
It does sound like shin splints.

Sometimes people have chronic form problems that cause recurring injuries like this, even though they may use proper footwear. It's not a bad idea to have a trainer check your form for things like locked knees etc, which may contribute to shock related injuries. (You didn't say how long you've been a runner.) Also, warming up more may be in order.

Rowing, bike riding, swimmimg, boxing are all good alternative exercises.

I've been running for 9 years. I ran a ridiculous amount in high school, much less (almost not at all) in college, and I'm trying to get back now.

I rode the bike today. It felt good. I'm going to stretch and ice tonight and see how it feels tomorrow. I'm pleased with the workout I got from the bike---far better than swimming.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Well, it's back. I took three months off and came back easy, doing cycling only and then working in some short (1.5-2mi) runs. All of my running has been on all-weather track surface, with brand new motion control shoes and custom molded orthotics. I've been stretching and icing religiously. After two weeks of light training the pain is back. I've isolated it to my tibialis posterior muscle with slight extension to the tendon. It's definitely hard and swollen (no jokes haha), and painful when palpated, especially where the muscle meets the tibia. I'm doing 600mg ibuprofen 3x/day and 30 mins of ice 3-4x a day. I'm going to see the doc over at NASP again but I expect him to give me another rest and ice period---which hardly helped last time.

I miss running. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Those custom orthotics....who made them for you?

1. Might be time to seek out a new doc.
2. Your shoes....how did you come to get them?
3. I'm thinking ortho socks as a remote possibility