• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stress Fracture Cross Training

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Those custom orthotics....who made them for you?

1. Might be time to seek out a new doc.
2. Your shoes....how did you come to get them?
3. I'm thinking ortho socks as a remote possibility

1. How do I do that while on AD with Tricare? I thought we were restricted to the med clinic on base. My orthotics were made by Hanger, up on Creighton Rd in P'cola.
2. Asics Gel Foundation 8. I've used Asics as long as I've been running---with great results up until recently. I was using the 2130s before my last injury but switched up to the Foundations (Motion Control) because I have a flat foot, overpronate, and I weigh 180lbs.
3. What are ortho socks?

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I miss running. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

You may be wearing the wrong type of shoes. I know you like the ones you have, but I would consider the following.

Visit a local running shoe store. Have the people measure your feet and then have them check your pronation. This is accomplished by them watching you walk bare footed on a flat surface or by walking on a treadmill / camera set up.

Once they have an idea of your pronation, it's time to try on lots of shoes. They should re-check your pronation with each pair of shoes you try on by watching you, from behind, while you run. Rince and repeat for each pair of shoes.

In my case, the above worked. I recently ran the ING Miami Half Marathon. Because I was wearing the wrong shoes, I was in the hurt locker the next day, and couldn't run the two weeks following.

I visited a running shoe store and they performed the above steps (from start to finish, it took about an hour). Now, I'm in the proper type of shoes for my feet and all is well.

More on pronation:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319-327-7727-0,00.html

MasterBates

Also make sure the running shoe place knows you have orthodics and bring them with you.

What may be motion control, may not be with the inserts in.

exhelodrvr

pilot
What bubblehead said, but try to get a recommendation on the store from someone local (i.e. track/cross-country coach at a local high school/comm college) who would know. The right shoes will make a big difference.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
Please, before you get a stress fracture , and are out 6 weeks (I'm speaking form experience). Stop for a couple weeks, ice 30 mins/stretch the calfs a lot. Do this mornining, afternoon, and night. Ankle rolls worked for me pretty good, to keep them at bay once I was back. When you start runnig again, do your best to run on dirt. Run/rest/run/rest, stress fractures are largly caused by a large increase in mileage or pace, so take it easy.

Good luck.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you been to Running Wild on Cervantes? They are a specialty running store with folks who may be able to help if you need new shoes.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the support.

I'm going to go to the doc tomorrow and see what he advises and I will check out that shop as well. Will report back.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
1. How do I do that while on AD with Tricare? I thought we were restricted to the med clinic on base. My orthotics were made by Hanger, up on Creighton Rd in P'cola.
2. Asics Gel Foundation 8. I've used Asics as long as I've been running---with great results up until recently. I was using the 2130s before my last injury but switched up to the Foundations (Motion Control) because I have a flat foot, overpronate, and I weigh 180lbs.
3. What are ortho socks?

BTW, bubblehead gave great advice. I don't have experience with this particular store, but, stores like that tend to take a very thorough approach to fitting you for the correct shoe. $$$, but usually worth it.

1. Might be tough to do...
2. See bubbleheads advice.
3. When I was still an athletice trainer, we used orthotic socks for folks who had a stress fracture of the fibula. Dunno if they are still available or even prescribed.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
C420, what was the report from the doc? I seem to be having similar issues. I've only been resting, icing and stretching for a week and I can tell it's far better than last week. I've noticed that my pain subsides immediately after I stretch but returns pretty shortly after. I don't think I've got a stress fracture, but I'm certainly hoping that I don't.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
What you have is a "stress reaction." It's the condition that occurs just before a "stress fracture." Consider yourself lucky. I had the same issue.

It sounds like you have posterior shin splints? Does it hurt on the inner side of your leg? I had these very bad about a year or two ago. Custom orthotics didn't do jack for me. I went to the doctor and told him what I was training for and he sent me these really stiff pieces of shit. What I really needed was something flexible with an extremely high arch support. I tried superfeet, but it wasn't high enough. I found these things called Sole Ultras (yoursole.com) at the New Balance store in Santa Monica. They're great.

You need to stop running on the track too. That's only going to make it worse. If I run the all-weather rubberized track too much, I get shin splints. It's too bouncy. Run the track only once or twice a week. The rest of the time you'd be much better off to run trails. Trail running is only going to strengthen your muscles and that's going to help prevent further injury.

Another problem I had when getting back into it was doing too much too quickly. I know what it feels like to want to get out there and run 5k, but you can't do that. Start out easy and slow. Too much too quickly will send you back to zero again.

I don't really have an opinion for your bike question. I bike a lot and feel it does little for my running. That said, most of the stress is put on your knees in biking. It's the impact on your feet that is your problem while running.

Last piece of advice I have is to not let your head get in the way. I battled this crap for a year and tried listening to other runners, doctors, physical trainers, etc. Eventually I was convinced that the doctors didn't know shit about my particular injury. It seemed like I was doomed forever. Don't let that get to you. Don't just accept what a doctor says as gospel. Get some books and do some research on the lower leg muscles and shin splints. I have no doubt that you can find the correct solution yourself if your doctor isn't helping. That's what I had to do, despite going to a fancy west-side doctor. That said, don't do anything stupid to make it worse! No skateboarding, no hip hop dancing, avoid jumping, and uh...I don't know...those are stupid random things I found to make it worse, haha.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
The bone scan confirmed the "stress reaction" that you speak of. No fractures.

I saw the doc last friday and she's keeping me down until the 1st of April or so. She said I am free to do anything that doesn't cause pain, but to keep it light. I've been swimming with no pain. If I walk a lot I'll end up with soreness/mild pain that comes on a few hours later and hangs around for a day or two. The pain is in the area of my posterior tibialis muscle and tendon. The pain radiates down to the point of my ankle.

MB, good call on the orthotics + motion control shoes. I went into Running Wild to see what they thought and they told me to try running without the orthotics because they tend to keep the MC shoe from doing its job. I'll give it a shot once I get cleared.

I guess I'm just a little skeptical. Rest and coming back slow didn't work last time, so what makes this time any different? There has to be something I'm overlooking.

nugget61

pilot
You need to stop running on the track too. That's only going to make it worse. If I run the all-weather rubberized track too much, I get shin splints. It's too bouncy. Run the track only once or twice a week. The rest of the time you'd be much better off to run trails. Trail running is only going to strengthen your muscles and that's going to help prevent further injury.

Can someone tell me what the running surfaces at OCS are? Trail/track/road?

420, keep us updated - I seem to have the exact same thing but on the anterior muscles/tendons... like to see what ends up working for you.

Leviticus

pro-rec SNA
I have no idea where any trails are in my area of town...i'll have to check into that. I'm going to stay off of my leg for another week and keep icing. My pain is approximately four inches above my right ankle and on the inside of my leg. I went last week and purchased new shoes after watching my intense pronation on video. I have flat feet and need the motion control. Hopefully these help.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Yeah, sounds like you guys have similar issues as I did. I've got the Asics Gel-Kayano 13, but MB is right about going to a real running store and having them look at you and recommend a few different shoes. I went to Snail's Pace in SoCal.

I'm serious about starting slowly and running on trails. You might also look into your posture while running. Oh, and stay away from hills for crying out loud.