• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stormy Carrier pics?

brownshoe

Contributor
Ditto for North Atlantics with winds so strong that they told us not to expect a helo to launch to come get us and water so cold that it wouldn't matter anyway. Did on ein 82 and again in 85 and because of Cold War still being on and Bears, Badgers and Bisons enroute to find us, we launched just as described with lumps in our throats. Receovery was pretty sporty with MOVLAS rigged because lens couldn't handle the deck motion. LSOs earned their pay on every recovery.

Good God yes! I’ve worked the deck on the Indy during mid-winter in the Atlantic. I can tell you it was not fun and it was COLD! Winds, rain… Just thinking about it gives me cold chills today. We tied down everything in sight. You landed and the deck crew was there with chains. All hands too! EVERYONE! No matter what color shirt you were wearing.

Steve

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good God yes! I’ve worked the deck on the Indy during mid-winter in the Atlantic. I can tell you it was not fun and it was COLD! Winds, rain… Just thinking about it gives me cold chills today. We tied down everything in sight. You landed and the deck crew was there with chains. All hands too! EVERYONE! No matter what color shirt you were wearing.

Steve

As I recall, extra chains were used as SOP. What was not fun was sitting alert 24/7 regardless of weather and hearing them clear the weather decks and tell us we couldn't open the canopy because wind speed limits were in excess of NATOPS limitations. One of few times I didn't mind being in a wet/dry suit (we had wet suits in 82)

xbreaka

tekahawave.jpg

WaveBreak_bow.jpg

joemcspeed

This is me being an idiot outside the skin of the ship during 25 ft swells. Hope you get a good laugh at my "oh shit" face.

Attachments

• DSC00787.JPG
    DSC00787.JPG
    776.2 KB · Views: 249

busdriver

None
I don't know how this stands up to the Navy rotary wing types experiences, but being Air Force and not deck qualified yet, looked cool to me. Kind of fits with the theme of "big" seas, I think.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
North Atlantic in late fall

USS Iowa takes one over the bow during Ocean Safari in North Atlantic

DN-SC-86-06926.JPG

DN-SC-87-11045.JPG

To continue RECCE training....A DDG

DN-SC-90-01974.JPG

An Arleigh Burke DDG in rough sea conditions

DN-SC-93-03706.JPG

DN-SC-93-03711.JPG

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Pic #2 is a Knox class frigate (FF). #3 is a Kidd DDG. Chalk one up for the ISAR analyst. :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't know how this stands up to the Navy rotary wing types experiences, but being Air Force and not deck qualified yet, looked cool to me. Kind of fits with the theme of "big" seas, I think.

Yeah, that's sporty. Doing it at night is even more "fun."

One crappy, winter Hawaiian night I was in the LSO shack and one of our nugget 2Ps was at the controls while hooked up to the cable (for training). He did the exact wrong thing and didn't maintain a steady hover off the HARS bars (basically like flying form off the ship at night) and lowered his hover. That's all it took and the cable wrapped around the trap on the deck. About that time, the ship continued w/ its heave and started to sink away from the helo. Before I could call on the radio to lower hover...POP and a bunch of sparks. One broken cable and a helo that had one hell of a climb rate. Now the deck was fouled and, as usual, Dash 2 is low on gas w/ half our det onboard. Ahh, good times.

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
A shooter buddy of mine took this photo onboard NIMITZ (CVN 68) earlier this summer as NIMITZ cruised in the Indian Ocean. His photo was selected as the cover photo for the fall edition of The Hook.

get-attachment.aspx