• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

stoof story

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
got this from an old (75) huey/cod driver,

The following is a "No Shit Story". Some of the names have been omitted to protect the guilty but

the events are TRUE.

The year was 1970 and I was a young LT flight instructor just finishing a tour with VT-23 (Advanced Jet Training )in Kingsville,

Texas. The Viet Nam War was still raging and I had just received orders to the USS Constellation to be the catapult &

arresting gear officer. Of course wizards in the Puzzle Palace assued me that this was a "career enhancing billet" and that

everyone had to do their turn in the barrel as ship's company sooner or later. I voted for later but my vote didn't count.

My Skipper in VT-23 wanted to cheer me up so he came to me with a great idea. One of his close friends at the Naval

Academy was the CO of the STOOF RAG at Navy Corpus Christi which was just 30 miles down the road. He told me that if I

got checked out in the STOOF that I would be able to fly logistical (read boondoggle) flights in the ship's COD. Sounded great

to me, so off I went to the RAG. After a week of hot, sweaty work (it's really hot on the deck in South Texas during the

summer) I passed my check ride with flying colors.

Fast forward to the Connie on Yankee Station, 1971. The ship was conducting combat operations against North Vietnam in

the Gulf of Tonkin when the ships Operations Officer, CDR (blank) asked me to fly co-pilot in the COD on a vital mission for

the ship's store. CDR (blank) happened to be an expert gemologist and the ship's store gave us $40,000 in cash so we could

fly to Thailand to buy gems, rings and things for the sailors on board the ship to purchase. Sounded good to me! We taxied to

the catapult and – zoom! We were airborne headed for our first stop — Rocket City (Da Nang to the un-initiated). So far, so

good! After taking on a full load of fuel we taxied for takeoff. Our next stop — Udorn, Thailand. We had just started our climb

out when that little yellow light called the chip detector came on. CDR (blank) did the right thing and called the tower and said

we would be returning to land to check out an engine. After landing, the crew chief pulled the magnetic plug that is used to

attract any metallic particles that might be floating around in the engine oil. Even a dumb jet jock knows that metal mixed with

oil — not good for engine. The correct procedure I was told was to remove the small flakes from the plug and then re-install it.

We would then do a longer run-up of that engine before take off and if the light stayed off, we were good to go. Remember

now, we had to climb out to 12,000 feet and cross mountainous enemy terrain where they would be bombing below us. Not

exactly a great place to be if we lost an engine. So off we go again heading for Thailand. I had just leveled off when that

cantankerous chip light came on again. I asked the CDR what now? He said "since we were already at altitude, we might as

well press on". Since his log book was filled with multi-engine prop time and I was just a green horn to the prop world — it

sounded like a good decision to me. An hour later, I'm looking out of the cockpit at the jagged mountains and dense forrest

below our flight path, I'm not quite as happy about our plan to continue the mission. The rest of the trip to Udorn was

uneventful and after landing we were greeted by the store owner we were going the spend the Forty Grand with. Now I know

what it feels like to be a Saudi Prince. All you have to do to get treated like one is to go to a store in Thailand in 1971 with

$40,000 in cash and say we plan to spend it all right here! After a fun day of spending like there was no tomorrow, I slept like

a baby.

Next morning I arrived at the aircraft and was shocked to see it sitting on it's tail. Since the COD has tricycle landing gear, I

was a little disturbing. It seemed that the crew chief had packed the plane to the ceiling with stuff we were taking back to the

ship to sell. We had hammocks, brass ware — you name it. I think we single handedly upset the balance of trade between

the US and Thailand. The only way we could get into the cockpit is thru the emergency escape hatch. I asked CDR (blank) if

he didn't think we might be a wee bit outside of the CG limits? "Naw – not a problem, if we get into the cockpit and start one

engine and the plane comes back down on the nose gear — we're good to go". Certain that he had read that somewhere in

the NATOPS manual, my stupid reply was "OK". In the mean time, the crew chief walked over to us and handed me a handful

of metal flakes and I mean

handful!

He said he pulled the oil sump screen filter and this is what he found. I look at CDR
(blank) and say "I guess we won't be heading back to the ship until they send us a new engine". "Surely we can't fly back

over hostile enemy territory with mountainous terrain that is heavily forested, with no possible landing sites in an over

grossed aircraft with one engine about to fail" His reply was "Bob, if we don't get back to the ship, we will never get one of

these boondoggles again". Now him being a CDR and me being a LT, I made one of the stupidest decisions of my life and

said, "sounds logical to me". So we climbed into the escape hatches and started one engine and sure-nuff, we came back

down on the nose gear. Staying on the taxi way was a bit tricky though, as the nose gear was kind of bobbing up and down,

but we made the runway and put the pedal to the metal for takeoff. It was no surprise when shortly after liftoff, that blasted

yellow light came on again. I asked CDR blank what do we do now, and he calmly replied, "un-screw the light". Duhh! Don't

know why I didn't think of that. Now I have the emergency manual out in earnest and am scanning the maximum altitude

charts for a C1A with only one engine and an over gross load. I wasn't too surprised to find out that the maximum altitude we

would be able maintain if we lost an engine was 400' below sea level. Since were were crossing 4000' peaks with a dense

rain forest on them, I didn't have a warm fuzzy feeling about our situation. On missions in my trusty A-4 Skyhawk, I always

had a survival vest which included a Colt 38 and other nice to have gear in a survival situation. We had nothing — zippo —

nada on board. I was trying to think of anything positive and the only thing I could think of was that in the unlikely event we

were lucky enough to survive a crash landing in the mountainous terrain, we could possibly trade our way out of the jungle

with the natives with all the goods we had on board. We even made an intermediate stop at NKP (Naked Fanny) to take on

even more goods before landing in Da Nang.

You probably think things were getting pretty exciting but it gets even worse. Since I was certain we were about to lose an

engine. I convinced CDR (blank) we should climb as high as possible to get us the most air time possible in case the worst

happened. We were straining to keep from falling out of the sky at 14,000' and since we had no oxygen, I was feeling a little

woozy and drifted off my desired heading. That wasn't a smart thing to do as it put us north of the DMZ into indian country.

You guessed it! Little black puffs of smoke of anti-aircraft fire started appearing ahead and below us. They probably had

never seen anything that big moving that slow at that altitude, and couldn't figure out the lead! We were probably the only

STOOF in history to take anti-craft fire. Of course there was nothing we could do but plow straight ahead because if we even

banked a little we would fall out of the sky. Before they could figure it out, we were out of range. Now normally when you

receive fire you are supposed to mark the position and tell the intell guys when you land, but because we were not supposed

to be where we were — it never happened.

We finally landed safely at Da Nang. I didn't even want the crew chief to check the sump screen anymore because I know

what he would find and I didn't really want to know as we still had one more critical leg to fly — back to the ship for a dusk

trap.

Since I'm writing this story, I guessed you were able to surmise that we made it OK. All's well that ends well, or so they say.

The next morning I went down to see the crew chief. He said they pulled the engine and he didn't know how it was able to

keep running. He estimated it probably would have totally destroyed itself within another 30 minutes. The engine was a mess

and had to be replaced. Who said flying a STOOF wasn't an adventure! Just think about the fun Grandpa Petibone could

have had with this story.

So — one might ask the moral of this story? Well, I promised the good Lord that since he spared me in spite of my stupidity, I

would never, ever, never again let a superior office brow beat me to go along with a flying decision that would probably win a

"Darwin Award" for it's shear brilliance. I kept my word to this day.

Bob Hall

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great story!
Probably were loaded with some BUFEs too, I'll bet.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Great stuff. I love the part about running the charts. Nothing like the sinking feeling you get when you realize "oh shit. I'm fucked." Luckily, it's usually in the sim.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great story!
Probably were loaded with some BUFEs too, I'll bet.

Cat, as you know, I was MIDWAY's "CODfather" on your '72 LINEBACKER II adventure. I am sure more than a few of my BUFE Centurion crates were destined for Ol' Catmando & Squadronmates???;)
C1A 700.JPG
Thank the Lord, I never experienced anything in the C-1, like described in the Op!:eek:
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cat, as you know, I was MIDWAY's "CODfather" on your '72 LINEBACKER II adventure. I am sure more than a few of my BUFE Centurion crates were destined for Ol' Catmando & Squadronmates???;)....
BzB
Nope. Never got a BUFE. In fact we hated them. Had a couple of squdronmates get bumped off of AF flights for those damned BUFEs. So they were on our squadron "hate-list."

Yes, I do remember you from '72. And also, thank you for hauling all the stuff we needed.... (whether legitimate or not). Good times! :)

blackbart22

pilot
Was flying EA-3s out of DaNang during that time frame and on the rare day when we didn't have a mission it was not unusual to be asked the go someplace and pick up a load of BUFEs. I always declined. Go to Cubi to pick up a load of Manila Miller (painted label), for the Bat's Nest, fine, but hauling BUFEs so some one could take them back to Atsugi for his okasan, forget about it.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
lest we forget...the ever popular 'stoof with a roof'.
356271378_d49c98e3ec_z.jpg

i was in grade school in the '50's and lived near the grumman plant at bethpage. i vaugely remember a local paper reporting that a woman had reported seeing a plane being abducted by a flying sauser.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nope. Never got a BUFE. In fact we hated them. Had a couple of squdronmates get *bumped off of AF flights for those damned BUFEs. So they were on our squadron "hate-list."

BUFE = Big Ugly eFfin' Elephant!;)

They came in pairs, packed in stackable slatted wooden crates, several sizes... the largest approx. 2' x 1' x 1.5' and very HEAVY. At that time, they could be picked up at Saigon Int'l Airport (Tan Son Nhut) for $20-30 a pair. we called them ugly 'though in fact, they were colorful & beautiful. In the States at that time, the exact same BUFEs sold in high-end mail order houses for $500-600/pair.BUFEs.jpg

*Catmando, on "Easy Way Airlines" (CVA-41 COD), BUFEs were put aboard ONLY after Personnel, Parts, Mail, and other requirements were met....priority 0!.:)
BzB

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BUFE = Big Ugly eFfin' Elephant!;)

They came in pairs, packed in stackable slatted wooden crates, several sizes... the largest approx. 2' x 1' x 1.5' and very HEAVY. At that time, they could be picked up at Saigon Int'l Airport (Tan Son Nhut) for $20-30 a pair. we called them ugly 'though in fact, they were colorful & beautiful. In the States at that time, the exact same BUFEs sold in high-end mail order houses for $500-600/pair.View attachment 10298

*Catmando, on "Easy Way Airlines" (CVA-41 COD), BUFEs were put aboard ONLY after Personnel, Parts, Mail, and other requirements were met....priority 0!.:)
BzB

Yeah! Thanks. That is a much better image of those f'n ugly elephants. Man I still hate them to this day!

brownshoe

Contributor
Nope. Never got a BUFE. In fact we hated them. Had a couple of squdronmates get bumped off of AF flights for those damned BUFEs. So they were on our squadron "hate-list."

Yes, I do remember you from '72. And also, thank you for hauling all the stuff we needed.... (whether legitimate or not). Good times! :)
If you only knew about (I’m sure that you do, Cat. I know BzB does;)) the hops made (way back in my day) for all the fun stuff! I can’t even count the times I opened a converted “buddy store” and found booze (‘specially after a Yuma det), lobsters and other various sorts of things, that were, of course, necessary for navy life at Cecil Field. :D I just liked to think that I was doing my part for the war effort. Dirty work but someone had to do it!

Steve