• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

stoof story

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
489569265_oaTnm-M-2.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you only knew about (I’m sure that you do, Cat. I know BzB does;)) the hops made (way back in my day) for all the fun stuff! I can’t even count the times I opened a converted “buddy store” and found booze (‘specially after a Yuma det), lobsters and other various sorts of things, that were, of course, necessary for navy life at Cecil Field. :D I just liked to think that I was doing my part for the war effort. Dirty work but someone had to do it!

Steve

Sounds like my dad's stories about coming home from det......rum in tanks from Rosy Roads, cracked bombay with crates of iced salmon from AK, etc. His best was about bringing crates of live lobsters back from Maine, and all the ridiculous shennanigans involved in trying to get a reserve P-2 from there back to Whidbey in a flying day for a Sunday night sqdn cookout. Story ends after multiple high speed aborts at an AFB in Montana, a landing light falling off the wing while taxiing, and a generator that exploded and set an engine nacelle on fire on the runway......old man spent that afternoon standing tall in front of the base CO there, explaining the finer points of the 1970's USNR maintenance program, vice grilling lobsters and swilling cold ones back home. I don't think him being the sqdn XO/CO did much to help the publicity the Navy earned that day :)

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
.....lobsters and other various sorts of things, that were, of course, necessary for navy life at Cecil Field......

When I was at Cecil flying A-7's, all of LATWING worked a 4 day work-week. Many times on a Thursday afternoon, we'd be in the ready room planning our long weekend, when someone would pipe up with a "Lobster party at the Snakeranch!" A quick call down to Maintenance Control to load a blivet on an up airframe and take orders for lobsters from down below, and 45 minutes later WINDR 410 manned by the fastest volunteer to suit up was on it's way to NAS Brunswick. We had the BEST maintainers in the Navy! Thanks Brownshoe!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you only knew about (I’m sure that you do, Cat. I know BzB does;)) the hops made (way back in my day) for all the fun stuff! I can’t even count the times I opened a converted “buddy store” and found booze (‘specially after a Yuma det), lobsters and other various sorts of things, that were, of course, necessary for navy life at Cecil Field. :D I just liked to think that I was doing my part for the war effort.

Steve

Oh yes, how well I remember...that ever-handy converted 300 gal. drop tank called a "Blivot"! Every Scooter Squadron had them, mainly for fly off/ins, X/Cs & tools/parts etc. No other place in the bird to carry anything.

I recall at a VA-44 Squadron picnic at a park near Cecil, standing next to a huge vat of boiling Water. LT Mike Falcon flies over at 500' in a T-A4 returning from NAS Brunswick ME, shortly to touch down w/ a blivot full o' lobsters/dry ice. Shortly after touchdown..."...Cauldron burn & cauldron bubble...".

Or the Yuma or Roosy Roads RTB Cecil "Rum Runs"! One time the blivot Pilot' remarked at the end of the preflight brief, " If I should have to jump out of this beast, it's going to be one colorful explosion"! l0l Good times
*BLIVOT: 10# s%*t in a 5# bag :D
BzB

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
If you only knew about (I’m sure that you do, Cat. I know BzB does;)) the hops made (way back in my day) for all the fun stuff! I can’t even count the times I opened a converted “buddy store” and found booze (‘specially after a Yuma det), lobsters and other various sorts of things, that were, of course, necessary for navy life at Cecil Field. :D I just liked to think that I was doing my part for the war effort. Dirty work but someone had to do it!

Steve

What do you think we put in our bomb bay on the way back from Europe? We sure as shit aren't filling it up with torpedoes or mines.

brownshoe

Contributor
When I was at Cecil flying A-7's, all of LATWING worked a 4 day work-week. Many times on a Thursday afternoon, we'd be in the ready room planning our long weekend, when someone would pipe up with a "Lobster party at the Snakeranch!" A quick call down to Maintenance Control to load a blivet on an up airframe and take orders for lobsters from down below, and 45 minutes later WINDR 410 manned by the fastest volunteer to suit up was on it's way to NAS Brunswick. We had the BEST maintainers in the Navy! Thanks Brownshoe!
Yes. And those involved, well, we kept our mouths shut. Crap! If I could only “click my heels” and go back in time (sigh). I enjoyed my lunch with The Chief on Monday, a crab cake sandwich, but a “pirated lobster” would have been better. Ah well “the good old days.” ("C'est la vie!")

Steve

brownshoe

Contributor
What do you think we put in our bomb bay on the way back from Europe? We sure as shit aren't filling it up with torpedoes or mines.
Good to know some things haven't changed. How is it I never see the benefits of these contraband beverages here in Frederick? (I’m thirsty too, ya know!:))

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I haven't been up that way in a while, last x-mas to be exact. Won't be home again til this summer, at the earliest. Family moved away from the area, so it's just shooting up 15 to see friends when I visit my in-laws in NOVA, and 15 makes me want to shoot myself in the face pretty much every time I drive it. I'll let you know when I'm in town.

brownshoe

Contributor
I haven't been up that way in a while, last x-mas to be exact. Won't be home again til this summer, at the earliest. Family moved away from the area, so it's just shooting up 15 to see friends when I visit my in-laws in NOVA, and 15 makes me want to shoot myself in the face pretty much every time I drive it. I'll let you know when I'm in town.

I hear ya! 15 sucks! Be safe my friend.

steve

brownshoe

Contributor
I received the following email from BzB today he's asked that I post this for him:

“I got permission from my good friend & Preflight Classmate Ret. (Medically) LT Carl "Pete"Peterson, who lost a leg in the Stoof accident in attached "Wasp Crash" story. Would you post the story for me. There's 3 wreckage photos & more with Pete in them. Use your discretion as to what photos to use to enhance the post. Thinkin' maybe we could get Pete hooked up in AirWarriors, I don’t think we have any "Stoof" drivers except my own C-1A experience. Goes on that Stoof stories thread.

STORY INTRO:

BzB Sends - The following is the story of my Friend and PreFlight Classmate LT Carl "Pete" Peterson USN (Ret.) in his own words. Tragic but inspirational. When Communications break down between AirOps, PriFly, & LSO (especially at night), it can get ugly.

*Pete, didn't they tell you that breaking CAGs plane was not COOL?

END OF INTRO”

Attachments

• Crash.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • Pete's Crash 1.jpg
    Pete's Crash 1.jpg
    971.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Pete's Crash 2.jpg
    Pete's Crash 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 54
  • aftermidnight.jpg
    aftermidnight.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 45

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great story! Hard to believe, looking at the wreckage anybody could have survived!

"I don’t think we have any "Stoof" drivers except my own C-1A experience."

Ah, think again, BZB. :)
Not only did I have a bit of time in the S-2G as shown below, but had some time in a Used-To-Be (US-2B) too. :cool:

stoofr.jpg

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^ But it's that last entry that is amazing........

Never thought I'd see a fighter admit to flying the mighty Warpig!

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
^ But it's that last entry that is amazing........

Never thought I'd see a fighter admit to flying the mighty Warpig!
I guess I must be slipping in my old age.
You'll also note that although I got some 1st P-time, they wouldn't let this tail-hook aviator land the thing.