• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stimulants, supplements, crew rest and that dang Circadian Rhythm

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi/nami/arwg/Documents/Waiver Guide - Supplements.pdf
The ok anytime list: sports drinks (no creatine, ephedra or herbs), protein supplements, vitamins/minerals and tonic water (no > 36 ounces total per day)

The ok if your flight doc knows list: glucosamine and saw palmetto

The not so ok list: Everything else..herbs, steroids, glandular extracts, creating, and BCAAs....to mention a few.

Specifically, is there anything wrong with a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement? My torn wrist is asking for it and I'd like to ask before I start downing a supplement I shouldn't be.

Bevo16

pilot
Just do me a favor and try to keep your squadron fat bodies from chugging a 24oz Monster and then then try to run the PRT. They tend to drop dead, that makes more work for me.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who in their right mind drinks 36 ounces of tonic water in a day? I could get absolutely blotto on gin and tonics and not even come close to that limit.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Specifically, is there anything wrong with a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement? My torn wrist is asking for it and I'd like to ask before I start downing a supplement I shouldn't be.

Talk to your flight doc.

The tonic bit is because quinine has been shown to exacerbate vertigo.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Talk to your flight doc.

The tonic bit is because quinine has been shown to exacerbate vertigo.

Pags is right. FWIW, it isn't hard to get it put in your medical record as being approved. Read the label.....be cautious about getting glucosamine with either NaCl or KCl afterwards as they add the unnecessary ingredients of salts as carrier molecules....which can add up to 25-30% of your desired products weight. In other words, some companies use KCl or NaCl to cheapen their production production costs by using those substances as fillers.

Look for glucosamine sulfate or HCL on the label. I think they are more efficient products.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wait...isn't glucosamine touted as one of the ingredients in those "I noticed a big difference in size and performance..." ads? Otto, you sure it's your "wrist" that's "torn?"

Pags

N/A
pilot
Wait...isn't glucosamine touted as one of the ingredients in those "I noticed a big difference in size and performance..." ads? Otto, you sure it's your "wrist" that's "torn?"

Maybe he was just practicing to become "smiling bob" and that's how his wrist was torn. overuse injuries are a serious concern. remember, increase by 10% per week to avoid injuries like this.

MasterBates

I personally have decided that supplementing my diet with burritos works best for post exercise recovery.

If I am exercising my liver anyways.