• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stimulants, supplements, crew rest and that dang Circadian Rhythm

torpedo0126

are you able to lift weights during flight school (yes serious)?

This is kind of a ridiculous question. Yes you can. However, if you are jacked and don't make height/weight standards then you should adjust your routine.

Dietary supplements, i.e. protein shakes, creatine are severely restricted if not outright forbidden.

Also, since being sent to JSUPT at Vance I have found it harder to keep up with a steady PT program because of the AF's style of training.

nugget61

pilot
OK, this is probably a repost but I can't find anything with the search function. I graduated high school and I would like to fly fighter planes some day. I'm aware of how hard it is to become a pilot, and even then I realize it might even be a pipe dream.

Just to give you the benefit of the doubt, asking directly about getting fighters/difficulty/% of people who get them is really taboo around here... you might get flamed for this thread, but keep an open mind about the Navy if you do.

...Dietary supplements, i.e. protein shakes, creatine are severely restricted if not outright forbidden.

Really? Even just the post workout meal replacement protein shakes are a no-no?

torpedo0126

Really? Even just the post workout meal replacement protein shakes are a no-no?

You hear different stuff all the time, but the most recent brief I had was outside of 1 multivitamin tablet a day, a protein supplement/meal replacement shakes were NOT allowed.

There are a lot of things that you are not allowed to take, including very common OTC medications. I think someone was saying Red Bull is technically prohibited?

torpedo0126

That'd be ironic considering there is a giant Red Bull vending machine in the sim building in Meridian.

There was a discussion on the Red Bull thing somewhere on here...I can't find the link. I have problems with SEARCH sometimes because it drops common words, even when I use " "

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There was a discussion on the Red Bull thing somewhere on here...I can't find the link. I have problems with SEARCH sometimes because it drops common words, even when I use " "

Oh we weren't doubting you.....IIRC it was also discussed during API by a certain LT.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
That'd be ironic considering there is a giant Red Bull vending machine in the sim building in Meridian.

We got the same brief by a flight doc in Whiting. We chuckled since there's a machine on the back porch of the squadron.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I think someone was saying Red Bull is technically prohibited?

I think it's that caffeine intake of more than 400mg (or maybe 450) a day is prohibited. I've also been told even Gatorade is "controlled," as are almost all protein supplements. Doesn't mean you outright "shall not" use them, just that technically, it should be noted in your medical record.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think it's that caffeine intake of more than 400mg (or maybe 450) a day is prohibited. I've also been told even Gatorade is "controlled," as are almost all protein supplements. Doesn't mean you outright "shall not" use them, just that technically, it should be noted in your medical record.

Around here, it's serious business if one of the gatorade machines runs dry :eek:

Ventilee

pilot
Contributor

This is from the derail in the AF vs Navy thread and I am just curious as to why this is. Is the Navy afraid that these supplements will somehow affect your performance under stress?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That, and misuse can result in serious, sometimes life-threatening health risks.

(Seen it. Creatine. Not pretty. Guy was taken off flight status.)

Pags

N/A
pilot
This is from the derail in the AF vs Navy thread and I am just curious as to why this is. Is the Navy afraid that these supplements will somehow affect your performance under stress?

A lot of it has to do with the fact that most supplements aren't tested and the conditions Aviators will operate in are from ideal.

Yeah, OPNAV says no more than 450mg of coffee. Will an extra cup cause you to crash? No. If you drink more than that are you down? No. But a lot of drinks with "other things" in them are not good, like Red Bull, Monster, etc.

Also, work out supplements aren't always good. Best way to go is to clear it with a doc first. Will myoplex/muscle milk do anything bad? Nah, it's just basically milk. Will a powerbar? No. Some 6 pill "supplement" pack? Yes. I've seen guys pass out in the aircraft from being dehydrated. These supplements don't help.

Bottom line is if it isn't "normal food", ask the Doc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't know where it stands now, but as of 1 1/2 years ago, the whole caffeine number was going to be revised. That 450 mg has apparently been found to be a bogus number and caffeine dehydrating a body isn't as cut and dry as was once thought. Not sure what will make it into 3710U, but know Tango oversimplified the issue.