• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Staying ?

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
"Coddle" is just a word used to start a pissing match between disparate people over who had a harder life and whether being enlisted for 14 months or rowing boats for an Ivy League crew was harder/more 'blue collar.' It's a fight I generally avoid, and not because I generally avoid fights.

phrogpilot73

I'm hard pressed to find a buddy of mine from the acadamy that can say that with the same enthusiasm.
What a load of shit. I guarantee that I've met more Naval Academy grads than you EVER will. So, I still say that you're full of shit. And my Wife (yes, capitalized) hates the Academy and thinks you're full of shit.

One thing I've found, and not to lump everyone together, is that sometimes academy grads have a hard time adjusting to life outside the academy. You see, they, like most of us, were coddled by their parents, then they were coddled by the USNA, and then we are all coddled by the military. There was no chance to be your own person, make mistakes, and learn from it. I see academy grads (officers) acting like I did as an 18 year old college freshman.
One thing you've found? In what, flight school? How much fleet time do you have? Again, I think you don't know shit from shinola... Come talk to me when you have more time in the Navy than my Wife and I have deployed. I'll give you a hint - I'll talk to you in about 3 1/2 years. I wasn't coddled in Iraq (both times) and my Wife wasn't coddled in Baghdad.

There are good and bad officers from all schools.
At least you had something of value in your post.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Phrogpilot...not to defend the guy, but I think he's referring to training, and sacrificing good fleet reviews for trying to make a point, albeit a misguided one.

If you don't agree that early military training is way too easy to produce good officers from any but the people who can basically train themselves, well, you must be a Marine, in which specific case you are correct. Haha.

Either way, we can all agree that deployments and 'green ink' can do far more for real beyond-the-basics training than all the years of Boat School or Flight School.

And don't worry I wasn't knocking the capitalization, I do it with my Girlfriend as well.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Riight.... I'm going to have to disagree with most everyone on this..

If you are miserable at what you do (job or school) - that is a pretty big frickin sign. The first sign I look for if I need a career change is, "Do I look forward to the weekends?" If I wish away 5 out of every 7 days (or in your case wish away four years) it isn't worth it. What's the point? If you are still interested in serving your country, check out other options (ROTC, OCS, etc.) I had a blast in college and can proudly say I had no regrets. I'm hard pressed to find a buddy of mine from the acadamy that can say that with the same enthusiasm.

One thing I've found, and not to lump everyone together, is that sometimes academy grads have a hard time adjusting to life outside the academy. You see, they, like most of us, were coddled by their parents, then they were coddled by the USNA, and then we are all coddled by the military. There was no chance to be your own person, make mistakes, and learn from it. I see academy grads (officers) acting like I did as an 18 year old college freshman.

My point here is this - yes, suck it up, be miserable or go somewhere else and be happy. What will your regrets be in life? If you are thinking about the quality of officer you will be if you don't stay at the academy compared to if you do - that is up to you and your own experiences. There are good and bad officers from all schools.

So how did "txrugger" pull off the old bait and switch?

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Note that if you are concerned about the kind of officer you will be based on how college is going, then you're already on the right path. Any half-wit can tie his shoes and put on a uniform in ninety seconds. Introspection, however, suggests intelligence...you can't get the answers if you don't first ask questions, even of yourself.

So if you (anyone) are having these thoughts at all, don't worry about the Boat School, because it's done its job. Just jump through the hoops and graduate. Being an American who cared enough to take the Oath of Office in the first place will do the rest, though some good sense and motor skills won't hurt...and listen to your noncoms.

Besides, the Academy is a land of sweets and joy...and joyness

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
perspective

foo, for every person like you that hates where there at, there's about 20 people that applied and got denied to be where your at. the same is true for flight school. some times you got to sit back, realize you have a shot at something many dream about. write 'have fun' on your kneeboard, and enjoy the ride.

(look on the bright side, the food is free, you don't have to worry about what to wear in the morning, and at the end of the day your not in colorado springs.)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
for every person like you that hates where there at, there's about 20 people that applied and got denied to be where your at. the same is true for flight school.

And about 10% of them don't know WTF they've gotten themselves into either. :D

Brett

riley

I'll give this another shot.

The other perspective from what dodge said is you would be doing yourself and others a disservice if you kept at it and decided 3 years later in flight school it isn't for you and dropped out then. Just because it is someone's dream in life or goal doesn't mean it also has to be yours. That should never be a reason to pursue something. You will waste your time, your instructors' time, your peers' time and fill a spot that someone who wanted to be there missed out on.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
good point

@brett/MB: i suppose it's a lot like marriage, though i have no first hand knowledge. i'd bet the number is probably higher. :icon_wink

@riley: i agree with that 110 percent. my suggestion is make sure that quit/transfer for the right reasons. unfortanately, only you can figure that one out for yourself. having to be decisive sucks sometimes. such is life.

skotc9

almost every person that i know that left the academy wish that they had not. most of us get paid to do shit other people dream about.

CaliStyle

I'm an Academy grad and I've known people who left and moved on to do other great things. If it's not for you, it's not for you. Military service isn't for everybody and there are other ways to be happy besides flying or blowing things up. I used to be one of those narrow-minded mids who looked down on people who "quit." You gotta step back, evaluate your life, and do what makes you happy. If I were you, I'd only stay if I wanted to serve. Otherwise, you have the answer in front of you. However, as others have pointed out, being an officer is a great opportunity and you get to do things only a small percentage of people even dream about. Don't torture yourself though. You need to look past the "USNA sucks" mentality and see if the military fits your life needs/goals to arrive at your answer.

phrogpilot73

You need to look past the "USNA sucks" mentality and see if the military fits your life needs/goals to arrive at your answer.
Well said... Well my tone may have been a bit harsh, it's basically what I was getting at. The Naval Academy is NOT the fleet or even the real military. However, it will prepare you for the opportunity to lead.