• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stashed Ensign Housing Problems

J_TK03

I wasn't sure where to post this, as the housing section didn't have apartment info in it.

I commissioned in May through a midwest NROTC unit, and am stashed here until October. However, my lease ends at the end of this month, so I'm having to look for a new place to live for 2-3 months. Problem is, I can't find any leases at all that are shorter than 12 months, and none of the apartments around here have explicit military clauses in their leases, so I'm being forced to look into the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act to cancel a lease. Problem is, I'm having trouble finding clarification on this. My orders came in mid April, and from what I've read, the SCRA says you are able to terminate a lease if you 'execute the lease and thereafter receive military orders.' Because I received orders prior to any lease I would sign in the future, would I be able to use this Act to break mine when I leave my unit?

I'm trying to be very cautious about this because I don't want to be stuck with a lease on an apartment that I'm not going to be living in, and that I can't break through SCRA. Any insight anyone has on this would be greatly appreciated.

Renegade One

None
Local classifieds...Craig's List..."rooms for rent"...buddies still in the area tolerant of a short "crash pad" arrangement...yadda yadda yadda. I'm guessing that lots of places in your college town are empty over summer breaks, etc. Just my $.02.
One other thought...and I may be AFU here (yes...it's happened before...), since you are now a commissioned officer on...what...TAD orders? (e.g., "stash"), do you qualify to draw reasonable temporary lodging expenses? A Homewood Suites thingie may be best...I dunno.

magnetfreezer

I wasn't sure where to post this, as the housing section didn't have apartment info in it.

I commissioned in May through a midwest NROTC unit, and am stashed here until October. However, my lease ends at the end of this month, so I'm having to look for a new place to live for 2-3 months. Problem is, I can't find any leases at all that are shorter than 12 months, and none of the apartments around here have explicit military clauses in their leases, so I'm being forced to look into the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act to cancel a lease. Problem is, I'm having trouble finding clarification on this. My orders came in mid April, and from what I've read, the SCRA says you are able to terminate a lease if you 'execute the lease and thereafter receive military orders.' Because I received orders prior to any lease I would sign in the future, would I be able to use this Act to break mine when I leave my unit?

I'm trying to be very cautious about this because I don't want to be stuck with a lease on an apartment that I'm not going to be living in, and that I can't break through SCRA. Any insight anyone has on this would be greatly appreciated.
+1 to everything on here - also check your state's SCRA equivalent, some give it further coverage w/bigger standard military clauses.

robav8r

None
Contributor
. . . . . . my lease ends at the end of this month, so I'm having to look for a new place to live for 2-3 months. Problem is, I can't find any leases at all that are shorter than 12 months, and none of the apartments around here have explicit military clauses in their leases, so I'm being forced to look into the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act to cancel a lease.

This is your first test as a newly minted Ensign :) If you can't figure out how/where to live for a few months, how in Gods name are we going to trust you to set up the admin, steal another night of liberty or, heaven forbid, lead Sailors into harms way ????

Check out Marriot Rewards and other, furnished apartment type of units offered through most of the major hotel chains . . . . .

Renegade One

None
This is your first test as a newly minted Ensign :) If you can't figure out how/where to live for a few months, how in Gods name are we going to trust you to set up the admin, steal another night of liberty or, heaven forbid, lead Sailors into harms way ????
Shack. Best advice here...;)

Call it part of your "En route Training Continuum".

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Craigslist sublets are a good option, though picking through the sketchy options is a fun task. I crashed with a forty year old woman who had a spare bedroom and included utilities in the cheap ass rent. It was pretty weird, but she cooked for me and let me drink her booze, so it wasn't all bad.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Craigslist sublets are a good option, though picking through the sketchy options is a fun task. I crashed with a forty year old woman who had a spare bedroom and included utilities in the cheap ass rent. It was pretty weird, but she cooked for me and let me drink her booze, so it wasn't all bad.

Mrs. Robinson?

robav8r

None
Contributor
. . . . . I crashed with a forty year old woman who had a spare bedroom and included utilities in the cheap ass rent. It was pretty weird, but she cooked for me and let me drink her booze, so it wasn't all bad.

Well, we are in a new Navy now :)

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Go on...