• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stash time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick164

I'm set to graduate and get commissioned in less than three weeks from NROTC. I got my orders last week and found out that I don't get to report to P'Cola until NOVEMBER! Does anyone know why my stash time is going to be for so long?

Brodie143

The reason is they can't take all the academy and ROTC students at once. It is spread out throughout the year to keep from having 400 plus students there at once. Plus there is about 200 students waiting as it is, so then you would have 600 plus students doing nothing.

beau

Does IFS make you stashed longer?....i would think so..... Anyone like me have that does not have to do IFS have their orders yet? Stash times still into late fall early winter for prior flight time guys? I dont graduate until the end of May and wont get my orders until I get commissioned (requested late Graduation/Commisioning because I was not going to Graduate when I expected). Any info would be great!

Finch

GO SOONERS!!!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's been a while, but when I was going through, the way they worked it was as long as you had your paperwork ready to start API (medical, PRT, etc), then you could try and work any stash job you could come up w/. Some guys went out to the west coast on No Cost orders. A good friend of mine from the HTs was at the Marine Huey RAG for over a month. He's now flying skids!

Anyway, kind of what you make of it for yourself.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The wait times definitely seem to be getting pretty long, a classmate of mine got his orders recently; commissioned in May, not going to P-cola until December!
boggled_125.gif
Guess I got the luck of the draw; I"m set to report in August. As far as stash jobs go I'm currently trying to see if one of the Prowler squadrons in Cherry Point will take a random squid for a month and a half or so. Sure I'll have a hell of a time being the only Navy guy around but my girlfriend lives right off base
spin_125.gif
. Anybody else got orders around then?

If God isn't a Penn State fan, than why is the sky blue and white?

rare21

pilot
Contributor
use your stash time to do ifs if you can. i graduated in december stayed at my rotc unit until the end of march and did ifs there close to my town. I got here to pensacola expecting a four month wait and i'm set to start API next friday after only a month wait. the reason being (so i've heard) is that corpus was overloaded for a while and the navy stopped sending people there for a time and now corpus is pretty much empty with people in primary. so now whoever chose corpus gets to start pretty quick. so thats where i am and i took a month only cuz of the first week (which everyone does) and BOLTC and i swam instead of PT'd. so you never know you could get lucky and get picked up for API pretty quick.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good idea, I'll look into that too. There aren't any Type 141 flight schools anywhere near State College though so I suppose I'd have to get TADed and find a place to live. BOQ somewhere maybe?

If God isn't a Penn State fan, than why is the sky blue and white?

zilber

pilot
I just got commissioned, and my orders are to report to Pensacola on December 1st. There are 3 other guys with me here at RPI ROTC unit who are in the same shoes with me. They are all doing IFS, but last I got my pilots license, so I can't do it. At the same time, I don't want to spend money on flying, since we should be doing some as soon as we get to Pensacola. Is anyone else reporting in December? We have guys reporting in August and November.

Steven

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Well unless you're an NFO you wont be doing any flying here in Pensacola, just studying and swimming in API. I know a few May graduates from my old unit (UT Austin) aren't reporting to P'cola till December so other folks are in the same boat.

zilber

pilot
You are right. I did not mean to say flying "in Pensacola." I meant I don't want to pay $70/hour to fly a Cessna 152, when I will be flying free of charge as a SNA. :)

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
I know it's probably been said before on this forum, but since the new IFS thing and all, I wanted to ask a question.

Does anyone know if there is a prolonged wait time between graduation of OCS and start of API, that the NAVY would allow us to take leave (those that have it), or let us take an OHARP duty, or stash job in our hometown? If this is the case, could we just complete IFS at our hometown?

It might just be me, but 12 weeks sounds like a long time to start API, between OCS and API. Especially when you're married and have two kids. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
I know you can take leave during the time waiting before API. Whether its approved or not all depends on whether you're in a stash job that really needs you there or if you're just lounging around. Still all Pre-API requirements must be met (pass the PRT, pass the swim screen) before you take off for leave. I think IFS may be on that list as well but i'm not sure. i didn't get to take leave because I classed up earlier than expected. I dont believe that you can get a stash job in your hometown..they need these stash ensigns here in P'cola, but i might be wrong. I dont think you can do IFS in your hometown either if you're not stashed there, but again i might be wrong but it seems infeasible that the Navy would go through all that trouble when they can monitor you here in P'cola.

Status
Not open for further replies.