• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

stash jobs/a-pool

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Stashing at a Fleet Squadron

This is aimed more at people who are graduating soon or have a large enough wait time down here to get TAD.

As a preface, you can get a good deal if you are willing to do the leg work for it, are willing to be the SLJO, and are not a douche and ruin it for people in the future.

Sea story with bits of information below of my time with an HSC squadron.

Rewind to June of last year: I had requested to report down here to Pcola in October, and my school suggested to those of us not reporting till that timeframe to either stick around school (hell no), or to try and do OHARP.

I wanted to hide away in San Diego, but not do OHARP, so I asked if I could stash at a squadron. School said do the leg work for it.

All I did was start pulling up SDO phone numbers and started going through the list of places I wanted to stash, first squadron said no, but second squadron said yes. You have to be paitent when contacting the squadrons as they have more important things to deal with than a newbie ensign.

Before getting the final go ahead the XO wanted to make sure I had a place to live and a form of transportation. Have those two items in place before trying to stash.

Bring a coin/patch from your school for the skipper when you check in, helps if the skipper is an alumni from your school, mega bonus points.

When you first get there be proactive. I went around to all the DH's introducing myself and asking if they had any jobs for me. After a few days of asking around departments and getting told there was nothing for me, I stopped this practice and started to hide in Safety with a guy who had just checked in from the FRS. Even most of the DIVO's had nothing for me.

The front office wanted me to get a ground job, so I ended up as PAO for the second half of my time there. At the same time other departments will utilize you for new and exciting jobs (SLJO), like training jacket organizer, designated copyman and pub retriever, and the most fun of all, designated meat gazer for drug testing. I also stood SDO a few times. Overall these jobs were painless, and a small price to pay for all the fun stuff I got to do.

The fun stuff:

Wearing a flight suit for 4 months and (gasp!) being issued brown boots.
Getting flights.
Getting to play in the sim A LOT.
Tons of free time to hang out with friends and enjoy San Diego.
Hanging out at the I-bar and playing dice A LOT.
Playing survivor for a week in the desert to help the Air Ambulance det, nothing like an IV in the back of a moving helicopter.
Helping setup the admin room for the community ball and having to use my sandal as the bottle opener.

Also if you do something stupid like break a finger on your motorcycle fess up to it quickly, and show you have learned from it. Do not ruin a good deal for others like the case study down here in Pcola.

The best part of my time at the squadron, especially as a know nothing stash: Being treated as an integral member of the squadron and told I was welcome back anytime.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
This is aimed more at people who are graduating soon or have a large enough wait time down here to get TAD.

As a preface, you can get a good deal if you are willing to do the leg work for it, are willing to be the SLJO, and are not a douche and ruin it for people in the future.

Sea story with bits of information below of my time with an HSC squadron.

Rewind to June of last year: I had requested to report down here to Pcola in October, and my school suggested to those of us not reporting till that timeframe to either stick around school (hell no), or to try and do OHARP.

I wanted to hide away in San Diego, but not do OHARP, so I asked if I could stash at a squadron. School said do the leg work for it.

All I did was start pulling up SDO phone numbers and started going through the list of places I wanted to stash, first squadron said no, but second squadron said yes. You have to be paitent when contacting the squadrons as they have more important things to deal with than a newbie ensign.

Before getting the final go ahead the XO wanted to make sure I had a place to live and a form of transportation. Have those two items in place before trying to stash.

Bring a coin/patch from your school for the skipper when you check in, helps if the skipper is an alumni from your school, mega bonus points.

When you first get there be proactive. I went around to all the DH's introducing myself and asking if they had any jobs for me. After a few days of asking around departments and getting told there was nothing for me, I stopped this practice and started to hide in Safety with a guy who had just checked in from the FRS. Even most of the DIVO's had nothing for me.

The front office wanted me to get a ground job, so I ended up as PAO for the second half of my time there. At the same time other departments will utilize you for new and exciting jobs (SLJO), like training jacket organizer, designated copyman and pub retriever, and the most fun of all, designated meat gazer for drug testing. I also stood SDO a few times. Overall these jobs were painless, and a small price to pay for all the fun stuff I got to do.

The fun stuff:

Wearing a flight suit for 4 months and (gasp!) being issued brown boots.
Getting flights.
Getting to play in the sim A LOT.
Tons of free time to hang out with friends and enjoy San Diego.
Hanging out at the I-bar and playing dice A LOT.
Playing survivor for a week in the desert to help the Air Ambulance det, nothing like an IV in the back of a moving helicopter.
Helping setup the admin room for the community ball and having to use my sandal as the bottle opener.

Also if you do something stupid like break a finger on your motorcycle fess up to it quickly, and show you have learned from it. Do not ruin a good deal for others like the case study down here in Pcola.

The best part my time at the squadron, especially as a know nothing stash: Being treated as an integral member of the squadron and told I was welcome back anytime.
Dude, those sham-wow commercials crack me up. Has anyone bought one? THERE'S NO WAY THEY CAN ABSORB THAT MUCH WATER!!!

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
armada1651 said:
Corrected.

Also, if you just now discovered Abbott's, you have clearly not stumbled from Hopjack's to Intermission enough during your time in Pensacola.

I usually don't stumble that far down Palafox. If there's stumbling to be had from Hopjacks it's usually to Seville. I've driven past the building so many times but it's pretty nondescript, so I guess that's why it's only now that I've noticed it.

UpstateSouthpaw

On to Whiting North
Dude, those sham-wow commercials crack me up. Has anyone bought one? THERE'S NO WAY THEY CAN ABSORB THAT MUCH WATER!!!

I bought a similar product from Wal-Mart in the car-care section. (I know sham-wow man says "beware of imitators") but they actually work incredibly well and yes they do hold that much water! I used it at the pool during API sometimes, it's like a towel that you can re-use. Maybe I'll include one in my 'optional 5lbs' for water collection. :D

Mac510

Kohl-Aid
So, I'm about to graduate from OCS 3 April 09. I was wondering what's going on in Pensacola, FL. I know that A-Pool is tighting up, but how so? Can anyone let me know what to expect in about 3 weeks. I'm guessing that I would complete IFS before I get assigned any stash job. Are SNA/SNFOs limited to stash jobs in Pensacola. Is their a list of stash jobs, I'd like to start the groundwork now.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I'm guessing that I would complete IFS before I get assigned any stash job.

A-pool consists of SNAs and SNFOs both pre- and post-IFS. I don't know how long the wait for IFS is these days, but you should probably count on a stash job while you're waiting. Other than that, all I can tell you is the standard, "Don't try to guess how long you'll wait/where you'll go/what you'll fly/etc." The whole thing is way too complex for someone with our limited knowledge and incomplete information to figure out. Just play it by ear and enjoy any down time you're lucky enough to get.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
A-pool consists of SNAs and SNFOs both pre- and post-IFS. I don't know how long the wait for IFS is these days, but you should probably count on a stash job while you're waiting. Other than that, all I can tell you is the standard, "Don't try to guess how long you'll wait/where you'll go/what you'll fly/etc." The whole thing is way too complex for someone with our limited knowledge and incomplete information to figure out. Just play it by ear and enjoy any down time you're lucky enough to get.

The wait for IFS seems to average out to about 4-5 weeks from check-in, assuming you do your business in a timely manner and complete DIVOLTC after 3 weeks on station like they're trying to get people to do. I classed up for IFS exactly 4 weeks after checking in, and am in DIVOLTC right now. Check-in to finishing API, the day I arrived was projected at 24 weeks, which puts mid-January check-ins out of here in mid-July.

I was told when I signed up for my stash yesterday that I'll be in it for at least 3 months, so I should get comfortable.

There's your soon-to-be-out-of-date timeframe that will no longer be accurate right about...............now. :D

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
I'm stashed over at the elementary school the CO loves so much and it's actually a pretty great job. The hours aren't as desirable as some (everyday)but you get to hang out with kids all day....and wear civvies. The problem is that I got stashed while still pre-IFS and pre-DIVOLC which I am in now, which means I'm not helping at the school and I'll probably end up in IFS within the next two weeks. This means that by the time I'm done with IFS the school year will be over and I'll probably be left to finding yet another stash job or run the risk of being voluntold for something rather crappy...like to Corry Station gig...ouch.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
Are they still making everybody get stash jobs? I've been away from A-Pool for some time while I do IFS, was wondering what the status will be like when I come back.