• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Starting my Navy Reserve application journey

Rudy.30

Once again, thousands of folks on here have gone before you not needing to create a thread / post all about themselves.
Dude...

I have been on this forum for 7+ years and you are in fact a FORMER recruiting guru as your are out of touch on how to recruit anyone for anything.. This is a public forum and if the OP wants to post something within the rules then so be it. You are not a moderator. If you don't have something constructive to say don't say anything. The OP is looking for guidance and we should be willing to help him/her with whatever question they might have. The Navy has a shortage of officers, and we need to try and help people not make them feel stupid for asking questions. Get over yourself.

Do us all a favor and move on when it comes to actual questions. Did you ask your recruiter is no longer a wanted response.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Dude...

I have been on this forum for 7+ years and you are in fact a FORMER recruiting guru as your are out of touch on how to recruit anyone for anything.. This is a public forum and if the OP wants to post something within the rules then so be it. You are not a moderator. If you don't have something constructive to say don't say anything. The OP is looking for guidance and we should be willing to help him/her with whatever question they might have. The Navy has a shortage of officers, and we need to try and help people not make them feel stupid for asking questions. Get over yourself.

Do us all a favor and move on when it comes to actual questions. Did you ask your recruiter is no longer a wanted response.

Excuse me kiddo, was I talking to you?

Sit down, thank you.

The response might have been stern, but by no means was it demeaning to him/her. Are we now going to allow everyone to post a Forrest Gump like story of why they want to serve?

He / she was directed to contact a local recruiter to verify eligibility. It’s moot if they don’t meet the PA requirements.

I may have left recruiting a few years ago, but I am still very much in sync with the process post recruiting tours and now.

Last edited:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Your ASTB scores are good. If you are trying to go direct to the reserves, you won't be able to be a pilot or an NFO (I believe age would preclude that anyway, but I could be wrong, haven't paid attention to that since about 17 years ago), but there are plenty of other options out there.

SDEngineeringDutyDCO

Reserve EDO in training
What is it that you’re looking to do designator-wise, and what is your background?

If you have a STEM background there are quite a few communities such as EDO, CEC, IW (Intel, CW, IP), etc. that have both Reserve and Active Duty programs where the max age limit is 42.

So if your real goal is to do Active Duty still, I would suggest looking up the Program Authorizations for those designators so you can see where your OAR score + GPA fare against the minimum standards and you can ascertain your chances of being accepted.

With that said, best bit of advice is to talk with both Active Duty and Reserve Direct Commissioning recruiters so you can determine what your options are for both and can decide accordingly.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
What is it that you’re looking to do designator-wise, and what is your background?

If you have a STEM background there are quite a few communities such as EDO, CEC, IW (Intel, CW, IP), etc. that have both Reserve and Active Duty programs where the max age limit is 42.

So if your real goal is to do Active Duty still, I would suggest looking up the Program Authorizations for those designators so you can see where your OAR score + GPA fare against the minimum standards and you can ascertain your chances of being accepted.

With that said, best bit of advice is to talk with both Active Duty and Reserve Direct Commissioning recruiters so you can determine what your options are for both and can decide accordingly.
Definitely need to make sure he meets the academic requirements for some of those. The masters requirement can be a real gotcha though I know some of the communities like EDO have waivers if you can earn your masters in a certain amount of time.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Wow, I created this account in 2009 when I tried to apply for OCS and did not get in. I was really bummed at the time, but after 14 years, I got fortunate and have a fantastic career at a desirable tech company; I find myself back on the forums, looking at options, this time for the Navy Reserves.

Back then, ASTB scores were 60 7/7/7, which wasn't good enough for OCS. I recall my recruiter saying that there were so many competitive candidates in 2009 after the Great Recession. Does anyone know if these scores still count or if I have to retake them?

I'm just starting out this process, so for those also along for the ride, let's connect!
First thing you need to do is find an Officer Recruiter, not the same as the (enlisted) recruiter at the local strip mall. You should have done your homework before contacting them so be prepared to tell them what designator you're interested in. Also, if after speaking with you, they decide that you have a shot at being selected be prepared for an extended paperwork exercise. Obviously, all officer candidates have a bachelor's degree, many also have a master's degree with significant professional/leadership experience.

As far as I know, you can still commission after your 42nd birthday, but you need to sign a waiver stating you understand you cannot get 20 good years of service and therefore you cannot receive retirement benefits.

graham

Finally, something entertaining around here. :) I wish the OP well and hope to hear more, but phew...unless you're going medical or legal, 38 is too old to start dealing with the military's bureaucratic BS, especially after a career in the private sector.

Cyber might be worth looking into though. As far as we know so far they won't really deploy. (as a reservist that would essentially require living in HI or MD, though.)

Last edited:

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Finally, something entertaining around here. :) I wish the OP well and hope to hear more, but phew...unless you're going medical or legal, 38 is too old to start dealing with the military's bureaucratic BS, especially after a career in the private sector.

Cyber might be worth looking into though. As far as we know so far they won't really deploy. (as a reservist that would essentially require living in HI or MD, though.)
Not necessarily, depending on how you applied (Local, Local w/ waiver, CAI, etc) you may get funding to travel to your unit regardless of what state it’s in.

number9

Contributor
I'm in this quote and I don't like it!

My sister unit is a CW unit and we all drill in the glorious Peoples' Republic of Massachusetts.