• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Starting my Navy Reserve application journey

s_ton

Wow, I created this account in 2009 when I tried to apply for OCS and did not get in. I was really bummed at the time, but after 14 years, I got fortunate and have a fantastic career at a desirable tech company; I find myself back on the forums, looking at options, this time for the Navy Reserves.

Back then, ASTB scores were 60 7/7/7, which wasn't good enough for OCS. I recall my recruiter saying that there were so many competitive candidates in 2009 after the Great Recession. Does anyone know if these scores still count or if I have to retake them?

I'm just starting out this process, so for those also along for the ride, let's connect!

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang
Wow, I created this account in 2009 when I tried to apply for OCS and did not get in. I was really bummed at the time, but after 14 years, I got fortunate and have a fantastic career at a desirable tech company; I find myself back on the forums, looking at options, this time for the Navy Reserves.

Back then, ASTB scores were 60 7/7/7, which wasn't good enough for OCS. I recall my recruiter saying that there were so many competitive candidates in 2009 after the Great Recession. Does anyone know if these scores still count or if I have to retake them?

I'm just starting out this process, so for those also along for the ride, let's connect!
Based on the information you shared I'll go out on a limb and assume, you're alot older now which limits your options for the reserve officer corps. With that said those ASVAB scores will remain preserved in time. Depending on the program you may or may-not need to take the OAR. Good luck on the process. As you probably already know, there's a ton of information on this site, some of it outdated but the ground truth still keeps you moving forward regardless.

s_ton

Based on the information you shared I'll go out on a limb and assume, you're alot older now which limits your options for the reserve officer corps. With that said those ASVAB scores will remain preserved in time. Depending on the program you may or may-not need to take the OAR. Good luck on the process. As you probably already know, there's a ton of information on this site, some of it outdated but the ground truth still keeps you moving forward regardless.
Thanks for the reminder about my age. lol This forum and Reddit seem to have to most information, so I'm glad it still exists after all these years.

I'm 38 now and in a very different place when I was 24. As I understand, there are a few more years before the max age limit for most designations at 42. I was focused on wanting to be an NFO back then; nowadays, I want to "serve" before the window closes. So I'd be open to most designations, but if there is a designation that can help me acquire skills beyond my day job, even better!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Based on the fact you’re talking about an ASTB exam and reserve officer programs. Perhaps you should either do more research or contact a local reserve recruiter to see if you even qualify before creating a “diary” post here…

s_ton

Based on the fact you’re talking about an ASTB exam and reserve officer programs. Perhaps you should either do more research or contact a local reserve recruiter to see if you even qualify before creating a “diary” post here…
ASTB was from many years ago, and the reserve officer program is something I'm exploring now. And for information, I scheduled a phone call with a recruiter, and he purposely won't provide details until I go in for an in-person interview.

I understand you like to be an SME on the internet, but you don't have to be a jerk if you have nothing helpful to contribute to this thread. I expected this forum to be friendlier than other forums that want to build community, but I suppose I was wrong.

FormerRecruitingGuru

ASTB was from many years ago, and the reserve officer program is something I'm exploring now. And for information, I scheduled a phone call with a recruiter, and he purposely won't provide details until I go in for an in-person interview.

I understand you like to be an SME on the internet, but you don't have to be a jerk if you have nothing helpful to contribute to this thread. I expected this forum to be friendlier than other forums that want to build community, but I suppose I was wrong.

My post wasn’t intended to be rude, simply the fact that 1000s of other OCS / reserve applicants on here haven’t felt the need to create an individual thread all about themselves.

s_ton

My post wasn’t intended to be rude, simply the fact that 1000s of other OCS / reserve applicants on here haven’t felt the need to create an individual thread all about themselves.
Whether or not it's intended, it's the condescending tone in your communication. I did not realize there is a strict protocol on what topics and questions can be posted. The thread was intended to start a dialogue and ask a question. You could've either 1.) Answer the question 2.) Ignore it.

number9

Contributor
Whether or not it's intended, it's the condescending tone in your communication. I did not realize there is a strict protocol on what topics and questions can be posted. The thread was intended to start a dialogue and ask a question. You could've either 1.) Answer the question 2.) Ignore it.
With your professional experience I assume you would go through DCO, the Direct Commission Officer program. You will attend ODS, Officer Development School, instead of OCS.

ODS does not require the ASTB or the OAR. You apply to a designator (or two) and are evaluated by the board for the designator you want.

exNavyOffRec

OCS and Reserve are a lot different in the process, you need to talk to a reserve OR to see if your current job and will correlate to a reserve designator. Many who get picked up in the reserves have a Master's already so if you don't have one that is something to think about.

Not sure about your recruiter back then, but those scores while not perfect were definitely good enough to get quite a few people into aviation designators back then.

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang
Thanks for the reminder about my age. lol This forum and Reddit seem to have to most information, so I'm glad it still exists after all these years.

I'm 38 now and in a very different place when I was 24. As I understand, there are a few more years before the max age limit for most designations at 42. I was focused on wanting to be an NFO back then; nowadays, I want to "serve" before the window closes. So I'd be open to most designations, but if there is a designation that can help me acquire skills beyond my day job, even better!
Best guidance that’s been echoed from a few here already, is to get acquainted with a local/regional OR. They’ll be the gatekeeper to your process, and regardless of commission route, will be your single point of contact.

DCO- majority of the candidates are already subject matter experts layered with academic certifications and professional accolades of the such. This isn’t a role that affords you the learning curve nor should place a burden on the Navy to professionalize you. Hope that makes sense

Active Option- go for it. Sky’s the limit. But as you age be aware that MEPS is gonna filter ya best they can. And rightfully so from a medical risk mitigation standpoint. I have a few prior service friends in various arenas of the Navy O-side that have illustrated the soft requirement for higher education among most of the designators. It’s not a trend, it’s a reality.

Again stay close to your OR and reference the individual program authorization documents. These sources are strong in their guidance and can profile you better than any online forum.

exNavyOffRec

Best guidance that’s been echoed from a few here already, is to get acquainted with a local/regional OR. They’ll be the gatekeeper to your process, and regardless of commission route, will be your single point of contact.

DCO- majority of the candidates are already subject matter experts layered with academic certifications and professional accolades of the such. This isn’t a role that affords you the learning curve nor should place a burden on the Navy to professionalize you. Hope that makes sense

Active Option- go for it. Sky’s the limit. But as you age be aware that MEPS is gonna filter ya best they can. And rightfully so from a medical risk mitigation standpoint. I have a few prior service friends in various arenas of the Navy O-side that have illustrated the soft requirement for higher education among most of the designators. It’s not a trend, it’s a reality.

Again stay close to your OR and reference the individual program authorization documents. These sources are strong in their guidance and can profile you better than any online forum.
MEPS doesn't filter, MEPS doesn't make the decision on whether a person going AD or DCO is qualified, the only thing MEPS does is administer the physical and provide the results, if N3M needs more info they will have a consult done, N3M is the one that makes the call.

The PA just provides the minimum requirements, the people here can provide what it takes to actually get selected, a person would hope that an OR would provide that info but unfortunately quite a few OR's have been found to not know their actual jobs or just not care.

What do you mean "soft requirement for higher education"?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Once again, thousands of folks on here have gone before you not needing to create a thread / post all about themselves.